Multiplat Cities: Skylines II

Remove this Banner Ad

Beach properties has been moved to the base game, so if anyone purchased it they'll be getting a refund. Other DLC has been moved back to 2025. Console release has been pushed back from their spring to October.

What an absolute shit show. Pre-release they were doing everything right. Showcasing the features was awesome but I guess that's all fluff if at the end of the day it can't be delivered.

Funny thing in the statement was the admission they rushed and shouldn't have released beach properties.

Surprised they didn't learn.

Last edited:

I was watching Egg go through the dev diary yesterday and my two biggest complaints are being fixed in the economy 2.0 update.

Firstly land value. Early game you start adding things like schools and services and it lifts the land value. However there are very few good paying jobs and your sims in low density residential can't afford the rent increase so you're forced to either create a ghetto somewhere for them to move into or build higher density residential to split the rent. This is being fixed where they'll still be able to afford to live in low density residential. I like this change because I'm not forced to play it like a game and can instead plan and build my city more how I wish.

Secondly the building add-ons can now be detached. Instead of having to attach the add-ons directly to the building there will be a range to build them within. For example a school playground doesn't have to be attached to the elementary school. It just has to be within range and in that particular case connected by a pedestrian path. This finally allows for some more unique building and not just plonking stuff.

All we need now is a prop finder and I'll be happy until future content DLC rolls in.

Anyone tried the update? I tried a new city and was bleeding cash and after even about an hour still couldn't turn a profit. I don't mind this change to make the game more stimulating but I definitely need to work out the "formula" to start earning. I've seen some of the streamers unlock all tiles from the start to remove tile upkeep costs, but that just tells me the economy still needs tweaking.

Anyone tried the update? I tried a new city and was bleeding cash and after even about an hour still couldn't turn a profit. I don't mind this change to make the game more stimulating but I definitely need to work out the "formula" to start earning. I've seen some of the streamers unlock all tiles from the start to remove tile upkeep costs, but that just tells me the economy still needs tweaking.
No. We were all waiting for you to tell us if it was worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've cracked it. You just have to play the game and watch your budget tab like a hawk. The process to turn a profit is at the start build very minimal roads as even the road upkeep will be a killer. Start zoning as much as you can and expand incremently, block by block. You have to ignore all services except for water despite the complaints as everything else will come from an outside connection. Also make sure to turn all budgets to 50% just like CS1. I didn't start making a profit until about the third or fourth milestone. Once I hit a profit of about 50k I finally put in a medical centre because it said it started at only an upkeep of 20k but I still went into the negative despite lowering the budget so I think you might have to truly max out the first tile with zoning to really have a healthy enough budget to put in services. Also watch your power budget because there becomes a tipping point where importing power is more expensive than the upkeep of a coal fired power plant.

My only complaint with starting this way is my starting tile has too many grids. I know IRL planned cities are grids as that's efficient I just prefer more organic looking cities, but I'll work that out with time. If this was the intent with the update then they've nailed it, early game is a real challenge now. Though with streamers unlocking all tiles from the start to remove tile upkeep costs then I think that will cause Colossal Order to slightly tweak the economy a little more.

And before sataris asks about performance - it's still the same as the performance patch a while ago. I'm assuming there is a major performance patch being worked on behind the scenes that will get rolled out when it launches on console as at the moment I don't understand how this is going to run on console at all. The LODs are still super aggressive even on max settings, they've added features like DLSS but something funky is going on there because even with it disable my clouds leave a ghost trail if I move my camera fast which usually happens when using frame gen. I also don't have a huge city to test on but apparently big pops are still causing issues because the actual simulation is still very demanding on CPU resources.

Interesting about the roads as I remember the announcement dev diaries discussing that roads would be cheaper to allow players to plan road networks more extensively

I think you can plan out a tile of road networks from the start as long as you zone it and everyone moves in, but from what I've played with so far a block of residential doesn't pay enough tax to overcome the road upkeep around them right at the start. The zones also won't level up without services so you need to brute force the ledger into green through zone taxes and you need more families per household but they won't come unless there are jobs so I think that's why mass road and zone planning from the start is a gamble. By building block by block I was able to build residential until unemployment hit around 30% and dry up residential demand, then I'd zone commercial or industrial (depending on demand) slowly to make sure there were enough workers and eventually that would drive more residential demand so I could then build some more blocks. That's my experience so far anyway, I'm sure Biffa and Egg and stuff will come up with something better but this way I only dropped to $850k before my budget turned green. It takes a long time to chew through the starting $1mill so you do have time up your sleeve if you're comfortable building out a road network first and confident you'll eventually make enough in taxes.

Here is an example of a city I started last night that went bust in about an hour because I wanted to see if I could provide it with enough basic services to level up the zones so they'd pay more taxes. This was roughly pre-planned to look organic but in my games since I've had to resort to more grids. It's a shame because in CS2 I love using cemetaries as like a central botanic gardens in early cities.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 093400.png

edit: ewww Windows takes horrible screenshots of HDR content

Remove this Banner Ad

Back