Remove this Banner Ad

linga45

Senior List
Suspended
Nov 18, 2004
Skilled Stadium!
Other Teams
The Cats!
Watching games on Fox Footy over the summer, it makes me wonder why it's 'so hard' for teams like Essendon and Collingwood to make a clash jumper!

I can't really believe this is an issue. It seems so easy to me to just find a remodel of the original jumper or a new design. Why teams like The Pies or Bombers don't budge is beyond me. Their 'tradition' argument is weak. Teams like St Kilda, Geelong and Melbourne have as much tradition and value, if not more, than these clubs, and yet they don't look further than themselves.

How hard is it? Seriously!

captain ebert said:
especially when colonwood already have one - their original heritage white ground version - you know, they changed it to be majority black about 4 years after port joined? :rolleyes:

I believe the jumper they have now is the one they wore in their 4 premierships in a row. Why they changed it to mainly white i don't know but it would be an ideal clash strip.

I think the teams he wont institute a clash jumper are being pig headed. I mean Soccer has it and it probaly makes them so much money cos fans buy 4 tops instead of 1. Especially teams like Man U. And Collingwood have the same One Eyed arrogant stupid supporters as Man U. And they would prob the most money out of a clash jumper. It just Eddie running the AFL and the AFL wont challenge him and make it manditory.

There are things about Australian Rules footy that are unique and would be sad to lose. The unpredictable centre bounce to start play for example.
But we also need to look to counterpart leagues and note it is not colours that make a team. Soccer and gridiron seem to have their teams in different colours every time they play and it's no big deal.
Having been forced to adjust our colours on entry to the AFL many Port fans have had time to get used to the concept. We once played Collingwood in our all teal training guernseys, it earnt us $300,000 as part of an M&M promotional campaign. It actually looked great.
Similarly St Kilda had a great looking yellow, black and white guernsey (now retired) for a milk company promotion but I reckon they could have kept it going. And I think the Kangaroos or Carlton played a game in orange.
As we move towards a proper AFL and not just an amended VFL we see many changes. No more suburban grounds. A proper tribunal. Teams playing home games at more than one home ground. I have no doubt that in the future we will see varied coloured guernseys, and in home games not just away or 'clash' games. Now if we can only get the umpires not to dress in the colours of one of the teams playing.

Calcium Man said:
I think the teams he wont institute a clash jumper are being pig headed. I mean Soccer has it and it probaly makes them so much money cos fans buy 4 tops instead of 1. Especially teams like Man U. And Collingwood have the same One Eyed arrogant stupid supporters as Man U. And they would prob the most money out of a clash jumper. It just Eddie running the AFL and the AFL wont challenge him and make it manditory.
I think the really funny thing about Collingwood's position is that they have produced an alternate jumper that is too close to their normal jumper to be a genuine "clash" jumper - they're happy to screw $ out of their loyal supporters by offering another jumper, but they won't offer a genuine clash jumper.

It's good enough for Man U, Arsenal etc to have clash strips but Essendon and Collingwood > those clubs :rolleyes:

arrowman said:
It's good enough for Man U, Arsenal etc to have clash strips but Essendon and Collingwood > those clubs :rolleyes:

Why is it necessary though?

Man U and Arsenal play against teams that wear strips almost identical to their own. They play against 19 other sides in their league, as well as the FA Cup, Champions League etc.
A clash strip is a necessity for them. They simply have to have it.

Their are 16 teams in the AFL. Their jumpers are different, would a Melbourne v Essendon game be any better if one team was wearing yellow?

Who said anything about yellow? Melbourne have already taken the liberty to produce a new jumper (the red one that we already use for the Wizard Cup) that we play Essendon in so there is no clash. I agree with linga45, why can't Collingwood and Essendon move on and make one so that Melbourne (when we play Essendon) don't always have to do it...

Marns said:
Who said anything about yellow?

It was an example.

I don't think Melbourne should have to wear the red one. I've never seen an issue in it.

If Melbourne choose to wear the red one fine, but there is no reason why Essendon or Collingwood should just because Melbourne choose to.

If teams jumpers are clashing, then yes, they should.
I think that each team should have a backup jumper just in case the next team they play clashes with their home jumper. It should be the away teams responsibility to provide an away jumper. Easy way to fix the solution really.

Marns said:
If teams jumpers are clashing, then yes, they should.
I think that each team should have a backup jumper just in case the next team they play clashes with their home jumper. It should be the away teams responsibility to provide an away jumper. Easy way to fix the solution really.

How would you feel if Melbourne had to wear their red strip in a Grand Final?

We should just have a second one with a really skinny sash on it so that there's almost no red except for a little diagonal line.

Probably would be easier to distinguish from the teams with red, and would technically not violate the club's constitution, since there is nothing in there that says the sash has to be a certain width.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It shouldn't always have to be the other team changing their colours. What makes Essendon and Collingwood more important? All the other clubs who've been around since the inception (Geelong, Melbourne etc) at least the same amount of history and tradition than Collingwood and Essendon have.

Longy413, it shouldn't always be Melbourne's job. Also, who cares if a team has to wear it in the Grand Final? No one would care if their team was wearing yellow and pink, as long as they won the flag!

It's just time for these clubs to get off their clacker and accept their equal to every other team in the comp. They shouldn't be any different.

Marns said:
I don't get it, wouldn't it be more humiliating wearing gold and brown anyway...and that's your normal jumper :D
i wouldn't joke about it, we came painfully close to wearing some poo and urine on our jumper...

Perhaps simply introduce incentives to guide thinking on this matter.
If Essendon (h) play Richmond (a) and don't offer a suitable clash guernsey then Richmond will be offered the right to do so. If Richmond agree to do so they get 50% of the profit from that game. If they don't take up the offer the full profit remains with Essendon.
No one is forced to change but there is now a measurable cost to John Elliot/Eddie McGuire style obstinacy.

linga45 said:
It shouldn't always have to be the other team changing their colours. What makes Essendon and Collingwood more important? All the other clubs who've been around since the inception (Geelong, Melbourne etc) at least the same amount of history and tradition than Collingwood and Essendon have.

Longy413, it shouldn't always be Melbourne's job. Also, who cares if a team has to wear it in the Grand Final? No one would care if their team was wearing yellow and pink, as long as they won the flag!

It's just time for these clubs to get off their clacker and accept their equal to every other team in the comp. They shouldn't be any different.

But why should Essendon change if they don't believe it's an issue?

Our players haven't complained, our club hasn't found an issue with it, and the majority of our fans want to leave things the way they are.

Essendon FC doesn't believe there is a clash issue, if another club does they are more than welcome to wear whatever they want.

And yes teams would care what they wore in a Grand Final.
Ask St Kilda fans how they feel about Baldock wearing a Collingwood jumper collecting their one an only cup. How would they feel if next time they win one Riewoldt is up there wearing yellow?

Once again people are missing the point with the alternative jumper issue. Its not the design its the colours. The one that gets mentioned the most is Essendon & Melbourne. So why is there a clash? Essendon wear red & black & Melbourne wear Red & a dark blue that because of the new material is very hard to distiguish between it & black. If they went for a lighter blue it wouldn't be as much an issue. Assuming though they want to keep that blue how do you get around it? Melbourne used their Wizzer strip that had more red but personally I think that may have been an even bigger clash. If Essendon had say more red on their jumper then again it would clash with Melbourne's red. The only way to ensure that there is no possibility of anyone thinking they clash is to have different colours & I for one would never want my team to wear yellow or green or any other colours other than red & black.
Before anyone gets on their high-horse again about Essendon & Collingwood not wanting to change ask yourself if your team has a "REAL" alternative strip (different colours) StKilda's yellow strip was the closest any club has come to it & even that was just for sponsonship, not for the good of the game or any such crap. Glass houses anyone?

OB1 said:
Melbourne used their Wizzer strip that had more red but personally I think that may have been an even bigger clash. If Essendon had say more red on their jumper then again it would clash with Melbourne's red.
No way, if anything our wizard cup jumper is the answer to the Melbourne vs Essendon problem because it has plenty of red, compared to essendon's small amount. Then again, if Essendon weren't so stubborn they could design the same sort of jumper as we have, with plenty of red in it, so it probably wouldn't clash with our red and blue.

Alternate Guernsey??

Just wondering what everybody thinks about alternate strips and if they are needed or not?? I did a search before my post and couldn't find much on there, i'm sure this would've been talked about before but, i'll put up a poll so there is no need to post, to stop any arguments from starting....

Longy413 said:
But why should Essendon change if they don't believe it's an issue?

Our players haven't complained, our club hasn't found an issue with it, and the majority of our fans want to leave things the way they are.

Essendon FC doesn't believe their (sic) is a clash issue, if another club does they are more than welcome to wear whatever they want.
And that's the sort of forward, outside-the-box, good-of-the-game thinking we've come to associate with the Essendon FC. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Clash Jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back