Clearances

Remove this Banner Ad

Villian

Debutant
Nov 6, 2009
Healesville
AFL Club
Carlton
There is a huge amount of clearances coming into the league. Especially in 2nd Division. Emerald, Belgrave, Yarra Glen, Thornton, Alex, Powelly, Seville, Kinglake have several ins. Junction about same ins and outs.
Monbulk, Upwey and Woori have little movement but have good ins and probably don't need as much as other teams in Divvy One. Silvan starting to have a few ins.
Does anyone know if the players coming in not including ones from the Junior league are of a good standard? If so the level of 2nd Divvy should improve dramatically. Can anyone shed some light about their ins? credentials etc? Tim Francis at Monbulk rings a bell - has he played there before? Kane Jones to Seville will be good for them.

A few second division ones that caught my eye:

Russell Cowan trying a third time to bail out of Powelltown to Yarra Glen is interesting. Chasing dollars perhaps? Good player, anyone who can get large amount of league votes from that side is a pretty handy player.
Jesse Mather was a pretty good young full forward out of Emerald to the EFL. Robbie Stewart out of Emerald to Gembrook same sort of thing.
Whats going on with Dean Selkrig from Yarra Glen? Denied to the EFL. Denied to Healesville (probably an attempt to replace Jye Conrau going to the EFL). Then denied to EFL again. Must be getting pretty upset.

Russell Cowan trying a third time to bail out of Powelltown to Yarra Glen is interesting. Chasing dollars perhaps? Good player, anyone who can get large amount of league votes from that side is a pretty handy player.
Jesse Mather was a pretty good young full forward out of Emerald to the EFL. Robbie Stewart out of Emerald to Gembrook same sort of thing.
Whats going on with Dean Selkrig from Yarra Glen? Denied to the EFL. Denied to Healesville (probably an attempt to replace Jye Conrau going to the EFL). Then denied to EFL again. Must be getting pretty upset.

I heard the story about Russell Cowan on Saturday re Powelly and it has nothing to do with $. I was told that the club claims he has signed a two year contract and despite the Powelly Coach allowing him to leave the club Committee will not release him. Tough situation I understand as the players and coach no longer want his services and they have made it clear but someone from the Committee is being difficult. I was told The YFFNC did not actively chase the player but rather now support his cause as he wants to support his brother who is coaching YGFNC 18's. I was also told that he was belted by a Powelly player after round 18. Contract or no contract why would you want to hold a player who doesnt want to be there? I feel sorry for the coach.

I heard the story about Russell Cowan on Saturday re Powelly and it has nothing to do with $. I was told that the club claims he has signed a two year contract and despite the Powelly Coach allowing him to leave the club Committee will not release him. Tough situation I understand as the players and coach no longer want his services and they have made it clear but someone from the Committee is being difficult. I was told The YFFNC did not actively chase the player but rather now support his cause as he wants to support his brother who is coaching YGFNC 18's. I was also told that he was belted by a Powelly player after round 18. Contract or no contract why would you want to hold a player who doesnt want to be there? I feel sorry for the coach.

Sounds like you heard A story.

Sounds like you heard A story.
Big O - I am sure there is two sides to the story - maybe more but my source is a Powelltown member who wants the club to move on regarding the clearance issue. I should add that they value his services but because he doesnt want to be there that they dont see the value in having so much hype about one player.

Big O - I am sure there is two sides to the story - maybe more but my source is a Powelltown member who wants the club to move on regarding the clearance issue. I should add that they value his services but because he doesnt want to be there that they dont see the value in having so much hype about one player.
Yeah you are right.
Football club atmosphere follows the "rotten apples" principle but he is a massive loss for Powelltown if they had visions of pushing on I would have thought (I do see that a number of players have come in though).

Money is not the issue, the only sticking point is he still has a year to run on his contract. I understand Powelly wanting to hold on to him but if he doesn't want to play there then what's the point?

Powelly has no choice but to fight it. If clubs are just going to let players walk out on contracts, then why sign them in the first place. Even if they know they are eventually going to let him go, they'll have to make him fight for it, otherwise players will think they can just sign a contract for however long and walk out on the club when it suits them. To me, it's much like the Silvan scenario, where the league had to fight to keep them, because to not do so would set a bad precedent.

Powelly has no choice but to fight it. If clubs are just going to let players walk out on contracts, then why sign them in the first place. Even if they know they are eventually going to let him go, they'll have to make him fight for it, otherwise players will think they can just sign a contract for however long and walk out on the club when it suits them. To me, it's much like the Silvan scenario, where the league had to fight to keep them, because to not do so would set a bad precedent.

Playing Hurt - wise words. I think most players understand that signing a contract means a committment for however long it might be and most would honour this but you have to remember every case is unique and the reasons for wanting to leave a club must be looked at and therefore a precedent is only set for cases with the same unique scenarios. The VCFL look at these reasons and over rule for many reasons. From what I have heard Cowan has every reason to want to leave Powelltown. I also heard that he trained at Vermont the other night. Fairly sure it is the same bloke they are talking about??
Regarding Silvan I think it was great the league backed the other clubs and itself and stood up for their rules.

Bring on the footy season - looking forward to watching some local footy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again James Reid has transferred out of Olinda rather than face the prospect of playing Division 1 footy. Can't imagine they would be too keen to sign him back if they slip back down next year (not that I can see that happening).

With you XIV what is going on with Selkrig?? Been plenty of discussion on Cowan, can any one shed light on why the Selkrig clearances keep being denied

Clearance updates;

Russell Cowan cleared to join Yarra Glen. Another quality player alongside other recruits in Kueffer, Attard and Braden. Watch out for the two guys from the Wimmera FL, have been told both go pretty nicely as well.

Michael Witkowski has joined his brother at Woori Yallock and will certainly strengthen a strong playing group. Will be there abouts again. Allen, Sneddon and O'Dwyer are losses though.

Thornton Eildon have picked up some good players. Watch for Simon Keddell from the Goulburn Valley FNL. Goes very nicely. Its neighbour in Alexandra have picked up a couple with the standout being Toomey who is a very good player.

Owen Millwood has rejoined Olinda FC. A very good player returning from Lilydale and Box Hill. Should be one of the dominant big men in the Division 1 competition this year. Great pick up for the Bloods.

Belgrave have certainly picked up some personnel from all over the place. Lunn Wilson is a good pick up but offset by the loss of Meyer. Should definitely improve on last years disaster. Walker from Chelsea is a significant in as well.

Any reason why he is transferring in the first place then?
Yes Rob and BJ have been working in W.A finishing a building project that needed a bit more labour to complete on the due date. They wanted to play footy while they are over there so they are ready too play when they get back. They will miss the first couple of games, no issues just a couple of young fellas that love playing:cool:

Watch out for Nathan Phillips and Brenton Cowell for Thornton. Stephen Borlase would have been another to look out for but his season most likely over with fractured fibula from a marking contest on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back