AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
http://heraldsun.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,8585828%5E20322,00.html

Cloke focuses on new season
05 February 2004 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

IT was a comment that bemused the football world. "This is his first Grand Final (2003), he probably played better in the last."

Poor game: Jason Cloke is outmarked by Justin Leppitsch.

The speaker was Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse, the subject was Jason Cloke. Given Cloke did not play in the 2002 Grand Final it generated a lot of debate.

Cloke, though, was not fazed, even before he was assured by Malthouse that nothing sinister was intended with the comment.

"Mate, I played a **** game," he said yesterday with a force that indicated that even the harshest interpretation of his coach's words were OK by him.

Cloke read the quote two days after Brisbane had beaten his side to the premiership and while he was happy to apply one of his favourite mottos of "move on with life", his father, David, contacted his former Richmond teammate Malthouse to address the issue.

"I spoke to Mick and he said the way it was perceived in the media was not exactly how it was said," he said.

"He was more or less that I had played my game before actually the game had started.

"He (David) spoke to Mick, like he did during the year. Mick and dad played together for a lot of years and they talk before and after games during the year and at all the different functions.

"If that was said, oh well, move on with life. I played a **** game. I know that and a lot of other people know that and I think I am not the only one guilty of playing a **** one on that day.

"I move on. It was not the first time I played a bad game, it's not going to be the last time I played a bad game."

Cloke said he had dealt with the loss to Brisbane and said constant reference to it served no purpose.

"You don't worry about the game you lost against whoever on the weekend during the year, it's the same with a Grand Final. Oh well, you lost it, this is a new year, a new footy season, there are other games to look forward to and if you worry about that one all your life you are going to be living in the past," he said.

"Today is today. You have to enjoy it. I am a big believer of 'move on'. Live life to the fullest while you are here."

Much of Cloke's focus for 2004 centres on the development of his brother Cameron, who is entering his second senior season.

Cameron Cloke spent a lot of 2003 devoted to Year 12 studies. He has compiled an impressive pre-season where he has added significant bulk to his 195cm frame.

By November, there may be a third Cloke added to Collingwood's list, as the 16-year-old Travis will be eligible for selection by Collingwood under the father-son rule at the national draft.

"Having Cameron around the club is just like being home -- we drive in together and drive home together and do weights together," Jason said.

"We have our goals. We want to play together, AFL at the highest level or in the VFL or whatever, we work together and it is good having Cam around. It's probably made it a bit easier for us.

"(Cameron) has dad's build, for sure, the big legs and the big upper body. Travis is taller than Cam at the moment and it comes pretty naturally to him.

"He is the youngest of the boys and we were always brought up kicking the footy around, dragged into it with me and Cam.

"He's different to us. He is a big left-footer. He has hands absolutely huge, they wrap around the footy like anything."

Cloke this season expects to play in similar mode to 2003 -- most of the time in the backline and some of the time as a forward.

In last year's Grand Final, he started in the key forward post at centre half-forward.

"In AFL footy you have to be able to play in more than one position," Cloke said.

"That's what I will be probably doing again this year. (Before the Grand Final) I had played forward during the year a fair bit.

"(Malthouse) threw me up forward at different times and that was just the way I was going to get a game in the Grand Final the way the match-ups went and the way it came out.

"Mick decided I had done enough to get a game and thought with Pebbs (Anthony Rocca) out we had to try a few different things.

"When you lose a key forward such as Pebbs it makes it pretty hard on others. I wasn't worried where I was playing or what I was doing.

"I gave what I could and that was it."

Cloke yesterday trained with his Collingwood teammates at Telstra Stadium as part of its four-day stay in western Sydney on an AFL community camp.

-----------------------------------------------------

I like this article for so many reasons!! :cool:

Originally posted by FIGJAM
"He's different to us. He is a big left-footer. He has hands absolutely huge, they wrap around the footy like anything."

<Cyclops has vision of Travis towering over the MCG lightowers, flicking away biplanes and clutching Christi Malthouse in one hand>

I bloody hope Travis is the greatest footballer of all time because I can't remember a more anticipated signing since the president wrote a $10,000 cheque to get that Haywood bloke to sign. Anyway, I'm happy to fuel the fire too. Let’s get this 7'11" superstar with spring loaded legs and bucket hands down to Williamstown for the 2004 season.

Originally posted by MarkT
Anyway, I'm happy to fuel the fire too. Let’s get this 7'11" superstar with spring loaded legs and bucket hands down to Williamstown for the 2004 season.
Until proof to the contrary, pour petrol at will!

Originally posted by theorangeapple
just curious how tall travis is atm? ive heard all sorts of descriptions. does anyone know ?
7' 11" = 212.5cm

I've heard from a mate of my best mate who know's David that he's had tests on him that states that he'll be 223 cms by the time he's 21 and that he already has to have Adidas make custom boots that are 18 inches long!

It's always unfortunate when sports people have to chose between sports. Travis has had to forgo his promising career as a decathlete, cross country skier and ballet dancer to concentrate on football and water polo. Unfortunately his horse had trouble with the transition and travis has had to find a Zebra to use at training. Can't wait until Superman arrives!

What if when Richmond Finish lower than us this year :D if they then use the F/S Pick on Travis?

Originally posted by wrennyboy
What if when Richmond Finish lower than us this year :D if they then use the F/S Pick on Travis?
Don't work that way...fortunately.

Travis gets to chose out of Collingwood and Richmond. Or, jump in the draft.

I have heard reports around the traps, that Travis is actually worth 47 number one draft picks!

Courtesy of Bootsy:

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~djohnson/

From some guy who posted here a while ago Travis will grow up to 2100cms. He certainly would be a dangerous player.

Seriously though Jason said that Travis is already taller than Cameron who is 195cm (from last year) so Travis might grow to be 200cm's. Although he never said how much taller he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand trying it out here n there in the home and away season to see how he goes, but the grand final? that was an outrage. Surely there was someone better he couldve put there, and leaving cloke in defence where he belongs to provide some much needed help.

Originally posted by NaDeR
Is it just me, or does anyone else here think that Jason Cloke playing as a forward is absolutely ridiculous??

:) its not just you. he plays loose man on the half back line very well, but does not know how to play ANY key position properly.

Cops a fair bit of stick for a guy whos only played 2 seasons at Senior level and has contributed decently to our rise up the ladder.

But then again so does most of our young players..comes with playing for the black and white stripes I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clokey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back