Closing out a game

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One of the most pleasing things about the Dees game was the way we closed it out.

We picked the right time to decide to maintain possession and did it with maturity and skill (led by JHF).

Too often on the past we have looked I'll prepared when the time came and either tried to slow things down too early or looked panicked.

Credit to the coaches for seemingly finally drilling the team on how to close out a tight one. It won't always come off but at least we looked competent.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
They've won all 5 games this year decided by 1 goal or less. And for the most part I've been pretty confident in the majority of them (bar the Hawthorn game) late on.

I said early in the year after they beat Freo that was a real positive sign because typically when Port win close games it's because they've coughed up a massive lead. In contrast, they won that game by coming back in the final quarter. It has proven itself to be a trend this year.

We saw a great sign on Saturday as well with JHF positioning himself behind the ball in the final minutes. I'm sure that was self directed rather than a coaching ploy.

One of the most pleasing things about the Dees game was the way we closed it out.

We picked the eight time to decide to maintain possession and did it with maturity and skill (led by JHF).

Too often on the past we have looked I'll prepared when the time came and either tried to slow things down too early or looked panicked.

Credit to the coaches foe seemingly finally drilling the team on how to close out a tight one. It won't always come off but at least we looked competent.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably wouldn't read too much into this game. Dees where cooked by the end because their game style was so intense in denying us room and time. We probably could have just chipped the ball around for the last 5 minutes if we kicked straight earlier and had some margin up our sleeve.

The Crows will show us the meaning of pressure and punishing our errors. All their spud players are frothing at the bit to play us this weekend.

They've won all 5 games this year decided by 1 goal or less. And for the most part I've been pretty confident in the majority of them (bar the Hawthorn game) late on.

I said early in the year after they beat Freo that was a real positive sign because typically when Port win close games it's because they've coughed up a massive lead. In contrast, they won that game by coming back in the final quarter. It has proven itself to be a trend this year.

We saw a great sign on Saturday as well with JHF positioning himself behind the ball in the final minutes. I'm sure that was self directed rather than a coaching ploy.
Nah he was asked about it in an interview after the game and he said he usually is given free reign but in that instance it was the coaches who told him to re-position

I have to admit, while it was the brilliance of individuals who won the game there was a clear tactical shift at half time to stop going quick down the corridor as Melbourne's talls were murdering us on intercept, and instead go steady down the wings. I think this tactical shift was also a significant contributor to getting the game on our terms again.

Nah he was asked about it in an interview after the game and he said he usually is given free reign but in that instance it was the coaches who told him to re-position

I have to admit, while it was the brilliance of individuals who won the game there was a clear tactical shift at half time to stop going quick down the corridor as Melbourne's talls were murdering us on intercept, and instead go steady down the wings. I think this tactical shift was also a significant contributor to getting the game on our terms again.

I listened to that interview and my understanding from it was he was mentioning the ratio of playing forward vs midfield was coach driven this week as opposed to typically given free reign. Don't think they mentioned him playing behind the ball in that interview.

I listened to that interview and my understanding from it was he was mentioning the ratio of playing forward vs midfield was coach driven this week as opposed to typically given free reign. Don't think they mentioned him playing behind the ball in that interview.
The one on 7 after the game? I thought I recall Darcy asking specifically about behind the ball. Could be wrong though

Remove this Banner Ad

Closing out a game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back