Clubs in crisis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good topic: not to sink the boots in but just honest footy chat. I'll comment on the Old Westbourne side of things as I know them well. I will agree they are in a crisis playing wise and results wise but they are strong off-field, they have decent juniors who are starting to get good results on a consistent basis and also have a girls team. They also are in an area which is becoming a massive area population wise. The worry is not with rival amateur clubs I don't believe. It's with clubs who can offer money. Yes 47 players left from last year. 17 were in the senior team but 20-25 of them were probably bloke in clubbies who never trained etc so no big loss. IMO this team will be relegated. Not a bad thing as long as they remain always a division above point cook for recruiting reasons. ( players prefer to play in higher grades so to fall behind a local rival club would be a disaster). I think the club can grow if it gets in the right blokes running the club as a football club not a school team or junior club. Somehow they have to use newspapers and social media to throw the club into peoples faces. Strong clubs have good supporter bases, an area westbourne lack but so do most amateur clubs. But I think increased interest in the club is the key to building sustained success in a competition where the sky's the limit for improvement. I'm KB and that's my take.

Scoobie, how is SKOB legend and premiership player Paul O'Keefe going out their?
Was a very, very good A Section player for a long time.

Not real sure mate. I'm not around the club these days. But I think he went overseas for the last month maybe and had a dodgy hammy before that this year. Might be bacc this week. Will be a much needed addition. Even if not at full fitness apart from Paul Hudson he would be the best defender there ATM. Last year he was in and out with injury.

Don't forget that Point Cook would also take a few Westbourne lads.

One club not mentioned is Marcellin in B. They seem to have a lot of kids and would seem to be outsized most games.

Yep they are the ones who take the cake. Won an A Grade flag not long ago, B Grade in 2008 and are now looking at joining their mates PEGS in C (if PEGS hang on - but that club has been in crisis for years).
Must be killing them reading that Cullinan is kicking bags for Balwyn when he never got himself fit for them and all he could snag was a sausage. And where is Dobson has he been drafted yet? When Dinneen left for cash that opened the door for others to follow, changed the club. What's good for the goose is good for the gander...will be an interesting rest of 2011 for the Bulleen boys.

Not real sure mate. I'm not around the club these days. But I think he went overseas for the last month maybe and had a dodgy hammy before that this year. Might be bacc this week. Will be a much needed addition. Even if not at full fitness apart from Paul Hudson he would be the best defender there ATM. Last year he was in and out with injury.

'Pocka' is back in action this week. Very welcome addition. We have certainly missed his experience so far this year.

Ron, that's a fair pasting in anyones language! Not surprising though, Mentone Grammar as a school is a very poor school, both footy wise and learning wise. Up there(or is it down there) with ACK and Marcellin as places you dont want to send your kids too.

Ron, that's a fair pasting in anyones language! Not surprising though, Mentone Grammar as a school is a very poor school, both footy wise and learning wise. Up there(or is it down there) with ACK and Marcellin as places you dont want to send your kids too.

I believe 'to' is the correct word, I know that, and I was educated at Marcellin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs in crisis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back