Toast Clutch Moments

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
We all know what happened last time we played the Swans, the infamous 10 points to 10 goals scoreline.
Momentum, confidence, scoreboard pressure. Its so crucial.
With that in mind there were a few moments that really stood out for me yesterday.

1. Amiss kicks the first goal. He's had a horror run with his goal kicking so to come out in the first few minutes, lead straight up the middle to take the first shot on goal is exactly what you want to see from a full forward, being prepared to take the responsibility.
For the first time for a long time Amiss had a steely look on his face and a determined, decisive setting of the mark and stride back.
I actually thought, he's going to kick it.
What a way to plant the flag and say we've come to play.

2. Treacy's first set shot. He had a mare only 2 weeks ago and this week everyone's been talking him up since his dominating performance in his 50th and I was worried for minute, hoping the pressure hadn't got to him. Never in doubt, straight through the middle.

3. Sturts 3rd goal. His first couple of kicks at goal were pretty ordinary and it was only being so close that saved him from missing. After he was called for the run too far I thought he looked rattled and never looked liked kicking the set shot a minute or so later. To then come out in the 3rd (I think) when the Swans were coming and absolutely flush one, just when we needed it was, I thought, as clutch as I've seen from him.

Could probably mention Drapers whole last quarter when he seemed to done a superman cape and I'm sure there's other moments but these one's have stayed with me. I'm still buzzing.

as supporters, we often question why a player did this or didn't do that, but they clearly are doing what JLo and the other coaches have directed them to do - it's something we need to consider before we start attacking individuals

Not to revise some painful thoughts but if you take yourself back to the Carlton game last 10 minutes, Draper faced those exact same moments getting caught out 1v1 against Curnow with the opposition coming hard and lost out.
This time he stood up and asserted himself (be it against a lesser forward). All you want to see from young players is signs of development, improvement and learnings from past efforts.
Could not have been more clutch for us that last 10 minutes and will get his chocolates come this evening with a rising star nom. Now he can take some learnings from his first media outing to improve for the next, the nervous man, good on him!

Also personal clutch moment from my partner this week, bringing to the world my first born, another lifelong docker to the team! Don't think the young one will believe me when I describe the years prior to her existence when she will be growing up on multiple flags!

At the time I thought that’s so Fyfe. His brain is his worst enemy at times. The degree of difficulty of this kick was so high it was sufficient to fully engage him & let his instincts work.
I think there's (still) an element of him not quite trusting his body to deliver what he wants. And some of the over thinking is running through the options, and - rightly or wrongly - ruling out some that he doesn't 100% believe are feasible any more.

I am well aware that there's some bias in what I can recall, but totally agree that Fyfe's best moments come when he attempts things that would be impossible for mere mortals, and his worst seem to be when he has plenty of time to think it through.

And in case it seems like I'm being negative in a 'Toast' thread: Hell yes, that was a beautiful moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clutch is an interesting term. It’s usually for those finals moments with the game on the line.
So, any and all clutch moments would seem to be our defensive efforts.

Sharp scoring a behind was as much clutch as anything that happened in the first 115 mins.

The tap from Darcy to Brayshaw in space to scrabble a 2 point lead was also clutch.

Personally, I think we bottled it to some degree offensively but defensively we held on… just.

If we loosely apply the term clutch, then all our goals in the 3rd quarter were big as it was obvious the Swans were coming and we were at least able to throw some punches back. It was 5 mins away from breaking the game open BUT they won that last 5 mins in the last quarter 14-0. From there it was always going to be a dogfight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back