Aug 12, 2002
Arden St
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Summary:
1. There will be a new playing style at Kangaroos
2. More young players will be played
3. Skills of players will be improved
4. Dean is prepare to take backward steps with young players in the first few years
5. He is prepared to make hard decisions with playing list
Sounds good.

Could it be that people power got Laidley over the line. He seemed to have overwhelming support on here. If that is the case then maybe this board could run (ruin) the club.

Sounds interesting, hopefully it will prove as effective as Pagan's

I think this will please many, however , I hope that players are still made to earn their spots and don't get picked purely on the fact that they are young.
Malthouse has proven that a full youth policy can work, hopefully JYD can prove it too.

No arguments here !

4. Dean is prepare to take backward steps with young players in the first few years

Looks like he really is taking the Malthouse approach. Let's see if it'll work for us...

I would expect nothing less from any coach, let's hope this means that we don't pick up any Calthorpe/Bourke types.

Overall, I'm happy that we got JYD, but whether he can actually coach is still unkown.

the actual quote regarding playing youth was:

"birth certificates will be thrown out the window"

...which implies to me they wont be played just for the sake of it and that if they're good enough, they're old enough.

Re: Re: Coach annoucement - Foxtel

Originally posted by True_Roo

Sounds interesting, hopefully it will prove as effective as Pagan's

I think this will please many, however , I hope that players are still made to earn their spots and don't get picked purely on the fact that they are young.
Malthouse has proven that a full youth policy can work, hopefully JYD can prove it too.

No arguments here !

Looks like he really is taking the Malthouse approach. Let's see if it'll work for us...

I would expect nothing less from any coach, let's hope this means that we don't pick up any Calthorpe/Bourke types.

Overall, I'm happy that we got JYD, but whether he can actually coach is still unkown.

No.4 is the only one that has me worried. Eddie, money, members andsponsorship stood well and truly behind Malthouse.

I am not sure as to why everyone keeps on bagging Bourke?
1. Have you conveniently forgotton, Richmond paid most of his salary.
2. It is idealistic to believe every player on a team's list will play a lot of senior football. It is just not possible or feasible and would add instability to a team.

Some players are 'better' than VFL level, but not quite good enough for senior selection. Some VFL players have a huge say/hand in a young player's development.

If Bourke has 'trained the house down' but has not been selected, surely a very young player will use that as a motivating factor rather than "I can't be bothered training." Bourke just might be a good mentor for the really young players and therefore paid his way at North.

Why continually bag him?

Re: Re: Re: Coach annoucement - Foxtel

Originally posted by Michele
I am not sure as to why everyone keeps on bagging Bourke?
1. Have you conveniently forgotton, Richmond paid most of his salary.
2. It is idealistic to believe every player on a team's list will play a lot of senior football. It is just not possible or feasible and would add instability to a team.

Some players are 'better' than VFL level, but not quite good enough for senior selection. Some VFL players have a huge say/hand in a young player's development.

If Bourke has 'trained the house down' but has not been selected, surely a very young player will use that as a motivating factor rather than "I can't be bothered training." Bourke just might be a good mentor for the really young players and therefore paid his way at North.

Why continually bag him?

I think the reason that most people bag Bourke is because he is just not good enough. He tries hard but he simply has not got it. No it is not possible for every player to make it at senior level but there is no point in recruiting someone of his age and experience unless they can find a spot in the senior team. The team lists are too short these days to have a posiiton taken up by someone who is not able to play at the senior level.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Coach annoucement - Foxtel

Originally posted by joybell27

I think the reason that most people bag Bourke is because he is just not good enough. He tries hard but he simply has not got it. No it is not possible for every player to make it at senior level but there is no point in recruiting someone of his age and experience unless they can find a spot in the senior team. The team lists are too short these days to have a posiiton taken up by someone who is not able to play at the senior level.

Yes that is true. But what some are overlooking and imo very conveniently overlooking is TOTAL player payments. Carey;) was still at North and on a huge salary and so were other players.

Hindsight is wonderful. Pagan just may have taken a chance on Bourke to fill a position he had in mind for Bourke.

The salary cap restraints and taking a chance on a fringe player (with his former club paying most of his way) was worth it. If it had worked out Pagan would be a genius. Not everything works out.

And I can't see the point of bagging a player who is really trying hard - even if it is not what the supporters want. At least give him points for trying.

It is unlike North and I don't won't to see our supporters turn feral on their OWN players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach annoucement - Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back