News Coaches' concussion worry sparks push for 23rd player

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
THE AFL is strongly considering a request from some coaches to use a substitute player to replace a concussed teammate in 2021 matches.

AFL.com.au has learnt that the initiative was one of many raised by coaches during an at-times tense meeting with AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan and football department boss Steve Hocking on Thursday morning, as part of the AFL's wider approach to health and safety.

I’m all for preventing concussion and protecting players but I don’t like this because there’s no doubt some teams will manipulate this rule.
You could make it so the player coming off misses 1-2 weeks no matter the result of a concussion test. That could prevent some "tactical subs".

I’m all for preventing concussion and protecting players but I don’t like this because there’s no doubt some teams will manipulate this rule.

Correct. Came in here to say similar. Coaches will definitely use this to their advantage. My bet as soon as a player is off injured (stretchered or similar) they will also be concussed!!!

I doubt it. For the most part it's the doctors that make these calls and it would be a compromise of their ethics if they did something like this.

Ideally though, to remove any such temptation, all concussion determinations for both teams would be made by an independent, AFL-appointed doctor who is at every game. Dunno if that's possible though.

I doubt it. For the most part it's the doctors that make these calls and it would be a compromise of their ethics if they did something like this.

Ideally though, to remove any such temptation, all concussion determinations for both teams would be made by an independent, AFL-appointed doctor who is at every game. Dunno if that's possible though.

There is no such thing as independent anything in the AFL.

Absolutely absurd idea to introduce a 23rd player. We don't have a 23rd player for knee, hamstring, calf, shoulder, ankle, rib injuries; nor should we for concussion.

Yeah that's what I don't get. Why is a concussion worthy of a sub, but not any other injury where the player can't take any further part in the match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's what I don't get. Why is a concussion worthy of a sub, but not any other injury where the player can't take any further part in the match?
Perhaps something to do with changing thresholds and cautiousness around concussion diagnoses?

This sort of move isn't unprecedented in a global sporting sense either. The English Premier League now has concussion substitutes as well as outlines in the laws of the game by IFAB.

Perhaps something to do with changing thresholds and cautiousness around concussion diagnoses?

This sort of move isn't unprecedented in a global sporting sense either. The English Premier League now has concussion substitutes as well as outlines in the laws of the game by IFAB.

Yeah it occurred to me after I posted that, that it might be the AFL extending an olive branch to the coaches to get them to treat concussion seriously.

Bit of a joke....do we also have a substitute for (a) hamstrings, (b) serious knee injuries, (c) shoulders etc? Why treat concussion differently?

Bit of a joke....do we also have a substitute for (a) hamstrings, (b) serious knee injuries, (c) shoulders etc? Why treat concussion differently?
Players are still allowed back on after any of those injuries if the coach allows them to. Players are not allowed to return from concussion under these rules. That's the difference

Did they propose (but not actually confirm) to bring it in 6 days before the comp started?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in the Premier League it actually got brought in mid-season.

Ah yep, seems you're correct

Seems incredibly unprofessional changing rules mid season to me.

This part is interesting:

"Won’t the team using APCSs and also three normal substitutions have a possible advantage by having more fresh players on the field than their opponents?
No, because once an APCS takes place, the opposing team are given the right to make an additional “normal” substitution at a time of their choosing."

So if we're following the EPL then once a team uses their concussion sub, the opposition should be allowed to use theirs whenever they choose too.

Seems like opening an unnecessary can of worms to me

This is how we got to a 4 man interchange.

Coaches kept manipulating emergencies by using them as subs, then demanding more emergencies, which they manipulated, and so on.

Easy solution though.
18 on the field, 2 interchange, 2 emergencies (with strict limits on how they're used).

Easy solution though.
18 on the field, 2 interchange, 2 emergencies (with strict limits on how they're used).
What happens if 3 players get injured???
We do not want a game where a team is playing with only 17 on field against another team of 18.
Two interchanges may work 90% of time but in this day and age of tight OHS it not going to happen.
Much better off just dealing with 4 on interchange and bring the interchange system back to what it was designed to be.
An interchange bench to cover for injuries and minimal tactical things like changing ruck around etc.
If a player is only allowed to come off once during a game for tactical change and anything but a concussion or serious injury is only other reason then four is plenty to cover for the times concussion take a player or two out of the match for rest of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Coaches' concussion worry sparks push for 23rd player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back