News Coaches' concussion worry sparks push for 23rd player

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks naming Downie as sub for his debut and saying its an exciting and unique opportunity basically says that they're going to make sure he plays, which means they're going to have to sub someone off with an "injury".

Hawks naming Downie as sub for his debut and saying its an exciting and unique opportunity basically says that they're going to make sure he plays, which means they're going to have to sub someone off with an "injury".
Is there ever a game where no player gets injured?

Has the AFL drawn any line on how serious the injury must be?

e.g. hamstring "tightness" is basically a hamstring strain (as opposed to a torn hamstring.) It's pretty much up to the player & club to work out how they best proceed with such a minor injury which has the potential to be significant.

Wonder if Clarko sticks to his own insane idea of it being exclusively for players under 21.
Why is that so insane?

Seems like a good way to give a young kid an opportunity and lessen any "advantage" a club might gain from subbing players
Isn't that the purpose of the sub rule: to flatten out any advantages or disadvantages suffered by clubs in the event of an injury?

I haven't read the thread... Is it just pages and pages of Clarko-bashing from all the nitwits who listen to coqkheads like Damian Barrett and Kane Cornes?

Apparently Astbury swinging an elbow and making contact with someone's head outside of general play is considered just a fine.

So glad we are focused on concussions as an industry with this sub change and made an example of Williams.

Apparently Astbury swinging an elbow and making contact with someone's head outside of general play is considered just a fine.

So glad we are focused on concussions as an industry with this sub change and made an example of Williams.

Lol his tricep made contact with his jaw. The bloose player had greater risk of injury when he threw himself 10 rows back into the stands.

Care to join the discussion dont bowl there ?

No thanks, not with a Hawks supporter about Clarko. The rule is dumb, trying to make it strictly under 21 is dumber, giving a player his "debut" but naming him as an EMG is the dumbest. Enjoy seeing all your kids getting rotated as sub and missing out on state footy plus league.

No thanks, not with a Hawks supporter about Clarko. The rule is dumb, trying to make it strictly under 21 is dumber, giving a player his "debut" but naming him as an EMG is the dumbest. Enjoy seeing all your kids getting rotated as sub and missing out on state footy plus league.
Sterling contribution to the thread :thumbsu:

"dumb", "dumber", "dumbest"

I enjoyed chatting about the footy with you.

I hate that in soccer and rugby.

Its such a bad look for umpteen players to sit on the bench all game then come on for the last 5 minutes with numerous players not even seeing the field.

Much prefer AFL and ice hockey style of players coming on and off.
It’s part of being a squad; everyone gets a game is children’s playground stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You jumped in to defend your coach, thats fine.
No, not really

I was genuinely curious why someone thought it was "insane" that Clarkson suggested the sub should be a young player under a certain age. For the reason I pointed out: it would be of less benefit for any team to sub out an experienced player for an inexperienced player. You'd have a fit body to make up the numbers but not some 25yo "super sub" who'd come in and boot 5 goals.

But you thought this idea was... what was it again? Dumb, dumber or dumbest? I can't remember which.
You got any reasons why Clarko's idea stinks? That's how discussion works. You give your opinions, then I give mine

I admit it always tickles me the way everyone howls whenever Clarko offers his two bits on umpiring, the rules and the game in general and thinks they know more than he does about the game. Apparently everyone in Australia is allowed to have an opinion on these matters, but not the AFL's longest serving and most successful coach
Enjoy the season and watching your kids "debut" as the sub.
Why are you repeating yourself with this line?

Why would I care about who gets called up to sit on the bench as our 23rd man?

Last edited:
Hahahahaha. hahahahah hahahahahaha hahahaha hahaha ahahaha

What are we laughing at anyway? Is this another one of those dumb and dumber gags?

B: Sam Frost, Kyle Hartigan, Changkuoth Jiath
HB: Jarman Impey, Blake Hardwick, Harry Morrison
C: Tom Phillips, Jaeger O'Meara, Will Day
HF: Luke Breust, Jacob Koschitzke, James Worpel
F: Shaun Burgoyne, Jonathon Ceglar, Tyler Brockman
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Liam Shiels, Tom Mitchell
I/C: Oliver Hanrahan, Dylan Moore, Daniel Howe, Tim O'Brien
Emg: Connor Downie, Mitchell Lewis, Michael Hartley, Damon Greaves

Koschitzke and Brockman have been selected to play their first game and Downie is 1st emergency

WTF are you on about?

Goes to show the serious issue we have when we're being told Joel has only being diagnosed 3 times for concussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Coaches' concussion worry sparks push for 23rd player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back