59Jason Horne-FrancisPORT
59Hayden YoungFRE
56Zak ButtersPORT
55Hugh McCluggageBL
53Jeremy CameronGEEL
53Jordan DawsonADEL
53Matt RowellGCFC

Flys farcical votes get Naicos across the line
Meaningless award and makes a mockery of it when the Collingwood coach isn’t even professional enough to objectively allocate votes.

We bag the Saints and Ross Lyon but at least his votes weren’t skewed like Craig dickhead McCrae.

Should rename it the 2024 Flarcial Award…:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highlights
  • Gold: Cripps, who polled in ~2/3 of his matches
  • Silver: Walsh, who polled in more than half more than half
  • Bronze: TDK, absolute breakout year. Did not poll a single vote in 2023 (albeit did poll 12 in 2022)
  • Cripps (5) and Walsh (5) polled in plenty of losses, showing their consistency and their competitiveness even when we are getting beaten
  • We had two wins where BOG was (justifiably) awarded to opposition players; Petracca in round 9, Sheezel in round 19 (both players got 5+5 from coaches)
  • Walsh had a BOG in a loss (Round 5 against Adelaide, his first game back from a back injury -- FREAK!)
  • Cripps had 6 BOGs. Walsh (2) and McKay (2) the only others with multiple
  • Hewett's last few weeks alone would have been enough for him to finish equal-8th in the tally (ignoring the rest of the season)
  • Cripps has finished 1st, 2nd, 1st in the last three years
  • Walsh the only other with multiple podiums in last three seasons (2nd in 2022 and 2024)

Last edited:
Warning: Nerd alert!

Age profile of polling players

• Average age of players that polled = 27.2
  • Average age of players in top 10 = 27.0
  • Weighted average of all votes = 27.2
Games played profile of polling players
  • Average games played by players who polled = 120
  • Average games played by players in top 10 = 125
  • Weighted average games played of all votes = 145
So the average player who polls is about 27yo and played 120-145 games. This list is ripe for success right now. No excuses (injuries aside).

Note: weighted average means that if a 30yo polls 100 votes and an 18yo gets 1 vote, the 30yo's votes count 100 times more than the 18yo.

Last edited:
Final Carlton leaderboard

View attachment 2096404

Thanks for sharing

Is there a way to see if Cripps got the most opposition votes compared to Daicos and Heeney

I would love to see if Cripps got about as many votes from Voss as opposition coach but Daicos got a lot more from McRae than the opposition coach

I think in this discussion topic we figured out which coach voted for whom and how many votes for each game - maybe someone did it for the Pies votes so it wouldn’t be too hard to compile?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thanks for sharing

Is there a way to see if Cripps got the most opposition votes compared to Daicos and Heeney

I would love to see if Cripps got about as many votes from Voss as opposition coach but Daicos got a lot more from McRae than the opposition coach

I think in this discussion topic we figured out which coach voted for whom and how many votes for each game - maybe someone did it for the Pies votes so it wouldn’t be too hard to compile?

Would have to go through game-by-game for both sides.

And even then you don't always get a definitive answer. There are often numerous possible combinations, although in most cases the most likely combination is pretty obvious.

IF anyone could be bothered (I certainly can't), you could compare coaches votes to votes given by media outlets in those games to see if there was 'vote padding'.

I ran stats a number of years ago and worked out that Bevo and Dimma (IIRC) appeared to be the most biased coaches. If I had the time, I'd run it again. Wouldn't surprise me if Fly ended up near the pointy end.

A number of years ago, I also ran some analysis on fan bias.

I looked at suggested AA teams on the main board. And then assessed the extent of fans picking more players from their own side.

Just about every side had positive bias and to an extent, this is understandable. I am guilty of this too, as I watch a lot more Carlton matches than neutral matches.

But IIRC, Richmond fans were significantly more likely to suggest Richmond players were worthy of AA selection. Like 50% more or something. I think poor Essendon* fans actually nominated less junkies than neutral fans nominated. LOL! Ah, self loathing...... couldn't pick a more deserving bunch.

I ran stats a number of years ago and worked out that Bevo and Dimma (IIRC) appeared to be the most biased coaches. If I had the time, I'd run it again. Wouldn't surprise me if Fly ended up near the pointy end.
Agree, McCrae’s 5 votes to Daicos (zero from Voss) in R21 look very suss.

McCrae, not very fly for a white guy..

Remove this Banner Ad

MVP Coaches Votes 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back