Code no 3 for Lote Tuqiri

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Richoagain
Hey, I didn't do the study.

For starters though - a game of Australian Rules goes for 100 minutes plus time-on (about 120 minutes in practice), not 80.

And yes - a centreman is more or less running continuously for the whole game.

So, a half marathon in the time an elite distance runner runs a full marathon - does that sound too unreasonable?
for seconders though they don't go running around during stoppages, in effect there are 20 mins per quarter. Hey i'm not having a go at you, just ive seen this study before and it seems fairly dubious to me. Maybe they added up all the walking he did when the ball was not in play (hence accruing 120 minutes worth)

Originally posted by Hurbie
Care to name a Few of those AFL players?

League is a very athletic sport. In actual fact, that is considered a serious problem in the sport these days. The natural Athletes are able to overhaul supremely talented but not so athletic individuals. As such, the amount of characters in the game is being reduced every year.

one of rugby league's greatest ever players, lionel cooper, was originally an aussie rules player.

Lionel Cooper?

Wow, he made a postwar test team. If he was damn good, why isn't he an immortal?

top 200, at best... more like 300-400th best player...

Hey, I didn't do the study.

For starters though - a game of Australian Rules goes for 100 minutes plus time-on (about 120 minutes in practice), not 80.

And yes - a centreman is more or less running continuously for the whole game.

So, a half marathon in the time an elite distance runner runs a full marathon - does that sound too unreasonable?
Didn't you know you have to provide a reference, bibliography, stat-dec, reading list and atleast 3 different forms of information from leading scientific research.
You must remember that Nicko will hunt down every quote and statistic every mentioned on the big footy forums, be it opinion or fact.
I, personally cant see why it wouldn't be the case in regards to the AFL players.

Originally posted by Tutaki
Didn't you know you have to provide a reference, bibliography, stat-dec, reading list and atleast 3 different forms of information from leading scientific research.
You must remember that Nicko will hunt down every quote and statistic every mentioned on the big footy forums, be it opinion or fact.
I, personally cant see why it wouldn't be the case in regards to the AFL players.
well as you don't sound too learned tutaki it is probably no surprise that you take as gospel anything pro rugby league. That's part and parcel of being a zealot. Particularly when the poster has a reputation for one-eyedness and misleading "facts".

If you don't learn to weed out those posters who can be taken at face value and those that only post to suit their agenda and don't let facts get in the way, you will learn nothing. Richo happens to be a poster that can be taken on face value. You are not.

methinks port adelaide is just after increased exposure in non-AFL states to get their brand name out there and known around the country - on the other hand, lote is a talented footballer and IMO its inevitable that an AFL club will poach a rugby league or union player one day - just for the media interest alone.

I think there's very few rugby players (league or union) that could switch to AR and be successfull (i.e find a regular position in the top grade). Simply, not many, if any of them can kick right.

Sure, people go on about Johns and Lockyer's kicking, but they do not have the right kicking skills, they don't have practise at picking out men 40 metres away that are moving at quick speed - they haven't grown up doing it. Basically, they're good athletes, they'd probably be able to get there in the end because of it, but it'd take them a lot more time to adapt than it would be to switch from league to union or union to league.

And it be the same with AFL players switching the other way.

If Tuquiri did switch, I think he'd be a flop. He just can't kick right.

Another reason rugby players would be no good, is because they're not used to kicking it on the run at top speed. Most of the time they sit in a back pocket, wait for the ball and then off a pretty much standings start hoof it down field in a general direction.

i still think kicking on an angle is better for longer higher kicks - str8 is great for the short accurate kicks tho - but then again im a born n bred leaguie who enjoys all sports (including aussie rules) - ive never played aussie rules.

You're pretty much right with your comments on kicking - AR players will tell you that for distace a torp (like a gridiron punt) is the best option, but a drop punt is far more accurate.

Most rugby players tend to stick out a bit when playing AR because they tend to look like they're attempting hook-legged trops most of the time.

Drop Kicks and place kicks were common features of Australian Rules until about 40-50 years ago, not sure why they died out, maybe they slow down the game too much, dunno.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by nicko18
where do you get that from?

From following Aussie Rules for the last 20+ years ;)

Twenty-five minute quarters = equals 100 minutes playing time.

And a lot of the stoppage time gets added on to the end of the quarters as time-on.

You're pretty much right with your comments on kicking - AR players will tell you that for distace a torp (like a gridiron punt) is the best option, but a drop punt is far more accurate.

Most rugby players tend to stick out a bit when playing AR because they tend to look like they're attempting hook-legged trops most of the time.

Drop Kicks and place kicks were common features of Australian Rules until about 40-50 years ago, not sure why they died out, maybe they slow down the game too much, dunno.
if it slows the game down, why dont teams use place kicks towards the end of a close game if they are in front?
seems like a legitimate way of slowing down play.

From following Aussie Rules for the last 20+ years ;)

Twenty-five minute quarters = equals 100 minutes playing time.

And a lot of the stoppage time gets added on to the end of the quarters as time-on.
:eek: i thought they were 20 minute quarters.

(or are you saying 20 x 5 minute quarters) :confused:

Just checked that one, you're right, my bad (I was sure it was 25) - but with time-on it's not unusual for a quarter to be around 30 mins ;)

The change fro 25 min to 20 min quarters has only been in a few years .They fine tuned the time on at boundaries and kick-ins .Still works out to an average of 120 mins .Just because the clock has stopped doesn't mea n you're not running to position or to man up .

Ref playesr switching codes ."
Care to name a Few of those AFL players?"
The AFL wasn't in existance then .They were AF players from the SFL .

I think you could get players from any code that could play another totally different code of football.

Some may be able to swtich in 6 months or so, but most could take a few years before they'd be considered reasonable.

Of course, you always stick to the games your better at. Unless your me who can play anything at a top level. From RL to AR to Table Tennis. I'm good.

Kicking, kicks, Kick.........ppffftttt, How hard is it to kick, if you were going to take up AR I think it would take all of a week to master it, and from what I see of the game, if you do a couple of decent kicks a game, your a star.

ok afl fans please dont bite:) :) :) :)

that was just a stupid immature statement.

AFL would be hard to master really if you hadnt grown up on it. I mean getting that bloody hanball is **** hard.

Originally posted by holc
ok afl fans please dont bite:) :) :) :)

that was just a stupid immature statement.

AFL would be hard to master really if you hadnt grown up on it. I mean getting that bloody hanball is **** hard.
i'm actually tossing up as to play AF for my first time this off season, and it looks easy kicking the thing, but i have more accuracy when i torpedo the thing rugby style or take a shot at field goal, yet people i know who do play AF pinpoint with the drop punt yet shank the torp or drop-kicks.

also i cant take a mark above my head for sh*t.

You'd be surprised - Rugby players from either code generally stick out like dog's nuts for years after crossing to AR.

It's not so much the skills that are the problem (although kicking an accurate 50 metre drop punt on the run takes time and practice) - but reading the play takes some getting used to if you didn't grow up on it. Tactically the game looks easier than it really is, especially if you're used to playing a game where both sides are generally facing off.

Good on you for having a crack though, Nicko :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Code no 3 for Lote Tuqiri

Remove this Banner Ad

Back