Coffee snobs thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm I like the look of it. The big question how much does the red one complement or clash with the wife's purple mixmaster?

Heard about a coffee yesterday called an Al Pacino which aroused my interest until I discovered it is named so because of it's use of almond milk.
giphy.gif

There has been a guy in Boundary St, West End (of all places) has opened a coffee pod cafe. Not just a place that sells pods but a place that sells coffees made on pods. To people. Insane.

There has been a guy in Boundary St, West End (of all places) has opened a coffee pod cafe. Not just a place that sells pods but a place that sells coffees made on pods. To people. Insane.

What the actual ****? Way to pollute the environment with more average tasting, non recyclable packaging rubbish coffee.

Initial reaction is that is totally stupid. Pods are made for us who want a half decent cup of coffee at home. I like my Nespresso but it doesn't come close to real coffee. However, what does that guy charge? I imagine he can undercut the competition pretty severely considering Nespresso pods are like 80 cents each. Charge $3 and you're probably still undercutting the competition pretty severely and making a decent profit. Depending on the area and the immediate competition dude could end up making a killing.

Initial reaction is that is totally stupid. Pods are made for us who want a half decent cup of coffee at home. I like my Nespresso but it doesn't come close to real coffee. However, what does that guy charge? I imagine he can undercut the competition pretty severely considering Nespresso pods are like 80 cents each. Charge $3 and you're probably still undercutting the competition pretty severely and making a decent profit. Depending on the area and the immediate competition dude could end up making a killing.
I'll poke my nose in as I walk past to satisfy your curiosity, but I suspect he'll struggle to beat Ugees across the street for $3.50/$4.50

I'll poke my nose in as I walk past to satisfy your curiosity, but I suspect he'll struggle to beat Ugees across the street for $3.50/$4.50

Even if he's offering $2 coffee he'll be making more than $100% on his investment. I would've thought that'd be too much discount with even the most moderate competition, but never underestimate people's ability to be satisfied with the subpar. It might not fly in Victoria, I've got 4 decent cafes and 1 exceptional one within 500m. The right spot though, who knows?

This exact idea was what my year 9 small business class wanted to do at school. Was hard letting them down by telling them they’d all be shit at making coffee with a machine, and no teachers would buy $3 pod coffee when there’s a decent cafe across the road

This exact idea was what my year 9 small business class wanted to do at school. Was hard letting them down by telling them they’d all be shit at making coffee with a machine, and no teachers would buy $3 pod coffee when there’s a decent cafe across the road

Haha that'll show you for overestimating people's taste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did offer to bring my batch brewer and grinder in for the week. They couldn’t get their head around people buying filter. “Isn’t it just like Nescafé?”

Anyone use the bialetti espresso machines on the stove top? I've had 3 of them and for a while it's really good and I love the taste of coffee but then the flavour changes and I think it might be a bit of ? Corrosion. I've tried a stainless steel one but it doesn't taste as good.

Anyone use the bialetti espresso machines on the stove top? I've had 3 of them and for a while it's really good and I love the taste of coffee but then the flavour changes and I think it might be a bit of ? Corrosion. I've tried a stainless steel one but it doesn't taste as good.

What your brewing method/process?

What your brewing method/process?

Just followed the instructions. Water in the bottom part, coffee in the middle and put it on the stove/gas. I just bought one with a stainless steel bottom and aluminium top. Hoping this one will last longer.

Just followed the instructions. Water in the bottom part, coffee in the middle and put it on the stove/gas. I just bought one with a stainless steel bottom and aluminium top. Hoping this one will last longer.

The corrosion/bad taste can often come from overheating it too many times.

Try this next time you make a coffee.

First, heat up the water in a kettle so its just off the boil when you put it in the base. Put the top on, let it brew, and then as it starts to hiss, either run the base under cold water, or put a damp teatowel around the base.

This will do 2 things. First, it will stop the heat from pushing steam through the coffee and making it taste awful. Second, it'll make your brew time a lot quicker as things don't need to heat up and therefore will save you a few minutes and therefore save you wear and tear on your machine

The corrosion/bad taste can often come from overheating it too many times.

Try this next time you make a coffee.

First, heat up the water in a kettle so its just off the boil when you put it in the base. Put the top on, let it brew, and then as it starts to hiss, either run the base under cold water, or put a damp teatowel around the base.

This will do 2 things. First, it will stop the heat from pushing steam through the coffee and making it taste awful. Second, it'll make your brew time a lot quicker as things don't need to heat up and therefore will save you a few minutes and therefore save you wear and tear on your machine

Will give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back