List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

First round somewhere. But hard to say where atm, still 12 months to go until his draft. Has another 12 months of preseason and development.
Had a very prolific year. Came 2nd in the Jets BnF as an underager and only 1-2 votes off winning it. Has now senior experience against men playing for Keilor, which I think will hold him in good stead going into next year.

He is still raw physically, but very good user with the footy. It'll be an interesting watch to see how he goes with another season in the coates league.
That he’s not yet physically developed but still came 2nd in BnF, played well for Keilor etc is very promising. The reverse of the old giant KPF beating up on kids at junior level but then can’t hack it when his opponent is the same size.

That he’s not yet physically developed but still came 2nd in BnF, played well for Keilor etc is very promising. The reverse of the old giant KPF beating up on kids at junior level but then can’t hack it when his opponent is the same size.
Yeah, he didnt have an issue playing with and against men with Keilor. Fit in seemlessly. Especially for someone his size, it was promising. If they didn't think he was ready or it would have been too daunting for him, they wouldn't have played him.

Even Mick said, he tried to tell himself reasons not to pick him, but at the end of the day, they felt they were better with him in the team.

Knowing what it takes at the top level, McGuane is trying to help Thomas achieve his dreams by working hard and staying humble as he continues working through underage footy.

“Humility is a big thing in my household,” McGuane said.

“It’s, ‘Just be humble with what you do, you can't control the narrative with what they’re saying about you. Respect people. Look them in the eye. Always smile. Whatever the accolades come your way, that’s out of your control’.

“When the talk comes about AFL footy, I immediately refer to the hard work, it challenges you physically and challenges you mentally. Without hard work – no matter how talented you are – you won’t get a go.

“He lived this dream for 17 years, he just turned 17, and ever since he was a kid he’s had a footy in his hand.

“As I always say to him, ‘Dreams are worth nothing if you leave them on the pillow, so get to work and work in a desire that you want to be a better player than you were yesterday’.

“One thing I do know, and I did say publicly with hard work is don’t shy away from it.”

I’m calling it now.
No matter what the experts say about where Thomas will go in the draft, he will be a star for the Pies.
He has all the attributes. Awareness, side step, quick hands, sees the play well, deft touch by hand and foot.
He’ll be a beauty. Mark my words.

At a young age, Tom’s definitely showing some ‘AFL traits’ (as Hine likes to see), which are surely innate and not something he’ll lose over the next 12 months. As others have noted, it’s also not like he’s dominating due to being physically ahead of his peers - only to lose that edge when they catch up.

At a young age, Tom’s definitely showing some ‘AFL traits’ (as Hine likes to see), which are surely innate and not something he’ll lose over the next 12 months. As others have noted, it’s also not like he’s dominating due to being physically ahead of his peers - only to lose that edge when they catch up.
Which provides promise as he physically matures. He finds the ball and impacts games not from his physical strength atm, but his IQ, creative nature in ways to be involved.
I reckon we'll likely play him on the wing or HF to start off with as he matures.

Very good point.

Incredible that he’s even attempted to project where Tommy will go given he’s never had anything to do with junior footy assessment before.
The fact he couldn’t stay in his lane on this is a tell tale sign that the pies are living rent free in his head this trade period.
Even those who have all that experience won't give you a single pick, they'd give a range. That range would be quite wide or provisional at this point. It will all come down to how he performs, and whether he grows, over the next year.

My uninformed opinion is that his spatial awareness and ball use are top notch and that he's likely to be a good AFL player.

For us the lower the pick the better. More exciting if he's picked early, but best case is he's picked late and then over performs, like Josh.

We want media “experts” talking down Tommy

Cost us less next year for a gun who with another 12 months to develop will mostly likely be a Round 1 walk up

I know instinct is to start a kid like that at half back but given his brain I’d go half forward myself but we’ll see where he lands

I’m also genuinely excited for Marcus Rocca.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back