Collingwood legends who haven’t played in a premiership side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Des Fothergill, Des Tuddenham, Peter McKenna, Len Thompson, Wayne Richardson, Barry Price, John Greening, Ross Dunne, Peter Moore, Bill Picken, Rene Kink, Ricky Barham, Ron Wearmouth, Nathan Buckley, Scott Burns, Rocca Brothers, Brodie Grundy.

Rene Kink and Ronny Mckeown,many more

Yeah, Rene Kink is my nomination.

Played in 5 GF’s and never won one.

And then you get players like Jarryd Blair who win one in his first season.

Or Oleg Markov who gets delisted. Twice. And then trials as an SSP …

… and gets rejected. But a week or so later there’s an LTI so another spot becomes available and he gets called back …

… and then goes on to win a Premiership that season.

So much luck is involved.

… and gets rejected. But a week or so later there’s an LTI so another spot becomes available and he gets called back …

Mr. Kink started pre season at Preston in either 83 or 84 but went to essendon instead. Had he stayed at Preston he would've won B2B flags. Poor bugger couldn't take a trick

Sure is, just ask Shane Kerrosin.

Mr. Kink started pre season at Preston in either 83 or 84 but went to essendon instead. Had he stayed at Preston he would've won B2B flags. Poor bugger couldn't take a trick
He was the guest speaker at the GF function at the Intercontinental Hotel in Saigon in 2011. I knew we were doomed from that moment on. The bloke is cursed.

Buckley is the obvious one for my age group (late Gen X)

Left Brisbane to "play in Premierships" at Collingwood
Brisbane then beats us twice in a row in Grand Finals (to rub salt in, Bucks wins a Norm Smith in 2002)
Buckley then takes over a Premiership winning list as coach in 2012
Loses a Grand Final in 2018
Craig McRae, a Brisbane triple Premiership player from the team that beat Bucks twice takes over Bucks' job as coach
Wins a flag in 2023 lol

You could almost make a movie out of it

Buckley. So close as a player in 2002 - did everything he could to get us over the line. (I will never forget or forgive that goal umpire).
So close as a coach in 2018. Still hurts.

2007 PF vs. Geelong too. That vision of Buckley on the bench with his hands on his head as the clock ticks down still haunts my dreams. Geelong went on to absolutely destroy Port in the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood legends who haven’t played in a premiership side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back