Colonial Mudpack Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats2001!

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
Colonial Stadium - what an embarrasment. I watched Sunday footy and saw the game from subiaco and footy park where they both had great surfaces. Then we cross to the HOME OF FOOTBALL (Melbourne that is), to see the Saints and eagles play on a patchwork quilt. What an imbarresment it is - as Melbourne, the home of footy, is supposed to have the best grounds (dont get me wrong - I was at the MCG on Monday and that surface is supurb - its just colonial I'm talking about).

Tell me if this is right: They had an NRL game there Saturday, AFL Sat night, AFL sunday and a bon jovey concert there sun night? What are you thinking? Play your rugby at Olympic Park, your bon jovey concerts at Melbourne park, and just leave colonial for the AFL during the season (vary its use in the off-season). And another tip - only close the roof when its bucketing down - if its just light drizzle - keep it open- it will do the ground good!

------------------
Cats for the flag '01!

Originally posted by Cats2001!:
Tell me if this is right: They had an NRL game there Saturday, AFL Sat night, AFL sunday and a bon jovey concert there sun night? What are you thinking? Play your rugby at Olympic Park, your bon jovey concerts at Melbourne park, and just leave colonial for the AFL during the season (vary its use in the off-season).

They should only play 1 AFL match per week at Colonial Stadium if they want the surface to be in "superb" condition.

During the summer fill it with water and have mock naval battles there. During winter we can feed Collingwood supporters and umpires to the lions. In 2000 years, tourists can marvel at its ruins.

Blues_Brat, Great Stuff very funny
biggrin.gif
But one request can we throw the crows too the lions aswell.

When will the AFL bite the bullet, except that Colonial is a failure, sell [it] instead of Waverly and victorian government either build a rail to waverly, or create a better bus service there on game days so that the best surface, or what was, can be played on again.

------------------
If everybody is rowing the boat together then there's no body to rock it!
CARN THE 7TH WONDERS
CARN THE W C WARRIORS

The problem is the growing of the grass. How hard can this be ? I've known guys who have grown considerable amounts of grass in their living room under lights, so why can't it be done at Colonial.

Close the roof, get the hydraponic lights going and away we go.

If they can get the surface right, then it would be good, but so far everything they have tried has been unsuccessful. Hydroponics wouldn't work at colonial, the roof is too high up. Just leave the roof open during the week, only close it in heavy down pours, and keep it open for the games, unless again heavy rainfall.

------------------
If everybody is rowing the boat together then there's no body to rock it!
CARN THE 7TH WONDERS
CARN THE W C WARRIORS

Originally posted by eagleskickass:
When will the AFL bite the bullet, except that Colonial is a failure, sell [it] instead of Waverly and victorian government either build a rail to waverly, or create a better bus service there on game days so that the best surface, or what was, can be played on again.

Why should the taxpayer pay for a rail link to a ground many football fans hate, and non-football fans don't use?

Would it be cheaper and quick building a rail link to Waverley, or re-surfacing Colonial PROPERLY?

Probably the main problem with building a rail link is that there is nowhere to put it. The Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill/Mulgrave area is chock-full of quarter-acre houseblocks, with the only continuous corridor of space having already been used to accomodate the South Eastern Freeway.

eagleskickass are you a practising moron or something?

Waverley was the biggest shithole this side of Calcutta - anyone who reckons it was any good needs their head read.

Shit cold, too big, crap scoreboards, crap seats, no atmosphere, crap parking, middle of nowhere, crap everything

Colonial is by FAR and away the best spectator friendly stadium in the country. Sure the grass is shot, but they will replace it next week.

Thank christ common sense has prevailed and Waverley will get torn down, piss off the tree hugging hippies, save Waverley Group, Save Albert Park, Dandenong Council and all the other left wing pinko w***ers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TO "I HATE WAVERLEY"

I hate you for your ridiculous comments - where do you get off bagging anyone that wants to preserve history - it is people like you that make this country a sad place
Poor Waverley - Colonial is a JOKE and an embarrasment to the code -
YOU are an embarrasment to this forum

Originally posted by kittenswan:
TO "I HATE WAVERLEY"

I hate you for your ridiculous comments - where do you get off bagging anyone that wants to preserve history

That's the problem it has no history. I'd rather see it levelled out - and save at least half a dozen Victorian based clubs which would have a combined say 600 year history then an eyesore with 30 years.

I'm sure all footy fans would love to continue to see the Saints, Cats, Roos, Doggies, Hawks and Dees running around a ball park than keep Waverley...

Originally posted by Darky:

Probably the main problem with building a rail link is that there is nowhere to put it. The Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill/Mulgrave area is chock-full of quarter-acre houseblocks, with the only continuous corridor of space having already been used to accomodate the South Eastern Freeway.

They could build it underground.

I'm a greenkeeper by trade and I'm still waiting for Wayne and the boys to call me for some advice on how to get Colonial a beautiful surface.

------------------
If ya smell what Santos is cooking!!

Originally posted by Cats2001!:

What are you thinking? Play your rugby at Olympic Park, your bon jovey concerts at Melbourne park, and just leave colonial for the AFL during the season

Cats2001
How much do YOU know?
rolleyes.gif

1. Storm have a contract at Colonial and have as much right to play there as the AFL Teams do.
2. Storm is a RUGBY LEAGUE team not a rugby team (which is Union).
3. Olympic Park is being renovated for the Commonwealth Games.
4. The surface at Colonial will always be an ongoing problem due to lack of light and because there is a concrete base directly under the grass with no natural drainage.
5. The grass WILL ALWAYS have to be replaced at various times during the year, particularly when its in use.
6. There are nearly 4m. people in this state and want the use of this stadium for various events, NOT ONLY AFL.
wink.gif

GO STORM
GO DEMONS

PS. Does that meet your expectations, Mr.Ripper?
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Colonial have begun fixing their grass problems this week by replacing the old StrathAyr turf with Motto turf.

The Motto turf is a hybrid type which is specifically designed for high usage, cold weather, little sun areas. It's a mix of artifical plastic turf and real grass. The grass has been trialled in patches at the MCG and has passed with flying colours and should be the solution to the Colonial problems. Costs a shitload of money though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Colonial Mudpack Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back