Come on Pykie, are you sure it's a man's game?

Remove this Banner Ad

DroppingTheBall

All Australian
Jul 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Big fan of Pykie, but a bit disappointed by his comment on jumper punching that "it's a man's game". As reported in today's Ragvertiser.

Bec Goddard might be a bit disappointed that he said so too. What would Don's attitude be to jumper punching of our AFLW players by the opposition? Does he really think that a certain amount of it should be allowed? And the justification being that it's a man's game?

I'm pretty sure, and certainly hope, that he doesn't think that there should be different codes of behaviour based on sex.

Frankly, I hope he was misreported. If anyone can shed light on that aspect, I would appreciate it.

man's game -> masculine game, he's not wrong. Has nothing to do with the AFLW side except for the fact that they were playing the same game.

you're projecting pretty hard onto this one, not even a molehill.

OP:

images

I just don't think jumper punches and elbows to the solar plexus are a good look for the game.
I agree, but Pyke makes an important point that you can't prevent heads of steam being built up on a footy field, its a crucial part of competing in any contact sport.

its not like people go around potting 10 blokes a game.

I guess if Pyke was referring to the AFL (you know, the league, not the goddamn sport of australian football) , then he is right - That's how I took it

As for whether or not that it being a league full of men playing sport as a justification for jumper punches, well that's another issue

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought a "jumper punch" was when a player grabbed the other guy's jumper, pulled it back and then pushed forward, with the fist contacting the body.

The recent incidents weren't "jumper punches", they were just punches. Not that a jumper punch is any more acceptable, but I think calling these flat-out punches "jumper punches" does tend to understate the seriousness of the offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if I am an AFL player but I choose to identify as a Netball player ?

I should be allowed to wear a bib that says FF when I take to the field. If you dont celebrate my uniqueness I will call you a bigot.

Send from a feminazi-lesbian gender fluid iPhone.

Trans and gender diverse people are born into a special kind of hell.
Congratulations on adding another tiny layer of shit they have to deal with you ignorant dick.

Welcome to tha foocha.

Where we stare at our phones all day and get offended by EVERYTHING.
No...welcome to the present, where defending blokes clocking one another because it's a 'man's game' is the province of dinosaurs like Sam Newman. Punching is just punching and it's got **** all to do with a competitive head of steam.

No...welcome to the present, where defending blokes clocking one another because it's a 'man's game' is the province of dinosaurs like Sam Newman. Punching is just punching and it's got **** all to do with a competitive head of steam.
So are you worried about punching or the fact Pyke called it a mans game. You know he coaches the men's team, in the men's league, where all his players are men, right?

The elite league is somewhat a sterile version of how footy is really played in the grass roots form, where hits behind play, jumper punches even sling tackles and head high bumps occur often generally without penalty as there arent a dozen cameras there to catch it, its more of a mans game hahahahaha

Carry on with the Elite league it needs this type of contraversary to attract interest and ratings

oh please, nobody is defending Barry Hall on Brent Staker-like punches.

footy is a rough and violent game, end of story. Humans are born to compete, that's why we're the dominant species on this planet.

oh please, nobody is defending Barry Hall on Brent Staker-like punches.

footy is a rough and violent game, end of story. Humans are born to compete, that's why we're the dominant species on this planet.

Those who have played, other than schoolboy footy, actually dont mind the game being rough I think it is what attracts so many to playing the game.

Not sure those posters that watch it might not like it because of how rough it can be

But the game is there for the players not the spectators

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on Pykie, are you sure it's a man's game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back