Come up with a 2009 Membership slogan, win a prize.

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory, the sample was used without permission, and once Mercury and Bowie's lawyers got involved, an out-of-court settlement was reached. Not sure if the sum was disclosed but I doubt it.

But, you know, he's super hardcore. So the Iceman prevailed, and of course went on to a have a long and successfu.....errr, nevermind.

Didn't poor cash strapped Mick Jagger have to launch a court case against The Verve for using the 'ner ner ner na na ner' violin sample in Bittersweet Symphony?

Didn't poor cash strapped Mick Jagger have to launch a court case against The Verve for using the 'ner ner ner na na ner' violin sample in Bittersweet Symphony?

The Verve claim that they had initially agreed upon a 50/50 royalty split. But they allege that the Stones' lawyers then upped the ante upon seeing how well the song was selling, and went for 100% of the profits (and full songwriting credit for Jagger/Richards), which they eventually got. The Verve no longer own the song.

Although I'm not sure if you'd get all that on a bumper sticker.

North 2009 - Now with nasal delivery service.

The Verve claim that they had initially agreed upon a 50/50 royalty split. But they allege that the Stones' lawyers then upped the ante upon seeing how well the song was selling, and went for 100% of the profits (and full songwriting credit for Jagger/Richards), which they eventually got. The Verve no longer own the song.

I guess touring the same material for 40 years at massive prices just doesn't pay the bills anymore.

Play it safe and buy a membership.
wbEAGLESarcher_gallery__470x350.jpg

(He knows where you live !)

Although I think Mick blamed the publishing company for that lawsuit. Is it too cynical to suggest that Richards/Jagger getting 100% of the songwriting royalty has more to do with the quality of the lawyers they could use than the legal case itself? I always thought there was a "fair use" clause in copyright.

Anyway, they also sued Carter USM because one of their songs contained the name "Ruby Tuesday" in their lyrics, and claimed that that was a breach of copyright.

We really should be turning into an Official North Melbourne BigFooty Limerick Thread.

Now I don't do my best work in limericks but I really couldn't compete with some of the brilliant and catchy one or two line slogans so I made up some limericks anyway.

09's time to be a North Melbourne member
It's guaranteed to be a year to remember
The clubs in your hands
And united we will stand
Singing our song in full voice come September

The Roos are in Melbourne to stay
And they wouldn't have it any other way
So now they need you
To buy a membership or two
Since there's still a few debts to repay

Back in Melbourne, the team they call North
After telling the AFL to f**k off!
So join up this year
You'll have plenty to cheer
Cause we're going to finish higher than fourth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a bit long, I dont want to dwell too long in the past but i reckon we should bring back and update this fairly successful slogan from the 2005 campaign...

"let me pose one question of my own (to the likes of Vlad 76, Kimbo, and North Bhoy etc.)… Have you joined the Roos for 2005? If you have not then your opinion loses any weight and impact."

With Arocca at the table;
You'd best join if you're able;
Or you'll sleep with a horses head;
Of find JB at the foot of your bed;
Trying to mount you like stallion in a stable.

I don't even know what this means, if you figure it out, please let me know. :confused:

With Arocca at the table;
You'd best join if you're able;
Or you'll sleep with a horses head;
Of find JB at the foot of your bed;
Trying to mount you like stallion in a stable.

I don't even know what this means, if you figure it out, please let me know. :confused:
it means "sign up or get rooted"

Remove this Banner Ad

Come up with a 2009 Membership slogan, win a prize.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back