Comic Books, Cartoons, & Collectibles

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2009
Rosebery
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello one and all!

Apologies if this belongs in another thread, but i wanted to start something regarding Comic Books, Cartoons and Collectibles. I help produce an online review show called Kapow!- a link to Season 2, Episode 1 is pasted below:

If you're at all interested in Comics, cartoons, collectibles- or other things pop culture orientated (Cos Play, Sci-fi, D&D- things you might find at Supanova, Comic-con etc) feel free to check out our show. We're just over half way through season 2, but all the eps and everything we've covered are available on our youtube channel for you to have a look at.

But the purpose of the thread is more than just Kapow, it's also meant to be a discussion on what you follow in this realm. What Comic series do you read? Do you collect old collectibles like Star Wars merchandise? Are you having trouble finding a character from your collectibles set? What was your favourite cartoon as a kid? Do you like Anime and Manga? If so- what are some of the titles you follow?

I'm more of a mainstream Pop Culture- (Sci-fi, Fantasy-Battlestar Gallactica, Firefly, Game of Thrones)-and Cartoon fan (Voltron, Transformers) but do follow some comics (serenity) and have been known to read the odd Graphic Novel (Watchmen, 100Bullets). Recently, i've been introduced to some excellent Anime in Full Metal Alchemist, Guyver, & Karas- and if you're interested in Anime, or vaguely familiar with the titles, i'd love to hear some thoughts on them.

In regards to film- various Comic Book adaptations have hit our screens in recent times which are proving to be mainstream commercial hits, more so than perhaps ever before. Spiderman, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Iron Man, The Avengers- have all proved to be box office successes, but are they critical successes in the eyes of the fanboys? Have the filmmakers done justice to bringing these stories off of the page they were written? If you've got an opinion on this, then share it. The triumphs, the failures, and even fears for the future (Zak Snyder directs Man of Steel for release in 2013- how do you feel about this?:))

In general- if there are any fellow Geeks out there like myself :), then this should be a thread to share our collective interests! Don't be afraid. There are more of us out there than you think! ;) Hope to hear from you soon.

(Perhaps i should re-name the thread Geek Central?)

Sorry, I'm late!

I've just bought a few tour posters from ebay, so perhaps they fit into the 'collectable'....but anyway, Roddy, have you ever been to Minotaur in Elisabeth st, when you've been down here?

Sorry, I'm late!

I've just bought a few tour posters from ebay, so perhaps they fit into the 'collectable'....but anyway, Roddy, have you ever been to Minotaur in Elisabeth st, when you've been down here?

Fashionably late- all good mate!

Posters are collectibles, absolutely! And this can be for other pop culture orientated things as well, so if you're into Star Wars, and you have something to share, then it should be here. :)

I have been to Minotaur mate, it is awesome. You can get just about anything you need. Them, Kings Comics in Sydney, Anime in Abbotsford... All pretty damn awesome. What do you usually get from Minotaur?

I haven't been there for a while. I have an interest in some of the artists books and stuff you can get there, as well as a love of sci-fi.
Yeah got some tour posters of some 90's bands.

The missus has given me a wall of my own to adorn with whatever I like, so a bit of art as well as the posters will be going up once they are framed.

I haven't been there for a while. I have an interest in some of the artists books and stuff you can get there, as well as a love of sci-fi.
Yeah got some tour posters of some 90's bands.

The missus has given me a wall of my own to adorn with whatever I like, so a bit of art as well as the posters will be going up once they are framed.

Have you heard of Tom Taylor, by any chance?

You should check out his new Darth Maul: Death Sentence being released by Darkhorse Comics.

Nah, haven't heard of Tom Taylor.

I like the work of James Jean in particular.
ovmstore_prints_haaz.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What other series are you into?

I once had the original "Alien vs Predator" comic books as a kid....no idea where they are now.

I love the original 'Watchmen' graphic Novel, and there are a series of prequels being released which i am thinking of reading, but am scared they might ruin what the original was for me.

Serenity is also something i got into recently. I was a huge fan of Joss Whedon's short lived series 'Firefly', and saw the movie 'Serenity' when it was released. Serenity the series, not really a graphic novel, not quite a comic, it lies somewhere in between- (almost reads like an ep of firefly) covers the 'inbetween' period from when the series finishes and the movie begins.

Zombies? haha, I don't do zombies or vampires. :(
I always dug Spawn, and the darker styles comics.

Just had a couple of deliveries of new posters this week, and about to bid on another one that is just ending on Ebay.

My missus reckons that a Predator statue cannot enter this house.

That's what my Missus said about my John Wayne Gacey clown painting. It brightens up our living room considerably, I reckon.

I used to collect comics as a kid ... well until December 2011 (age 35+ish ;) ) .. mainly marvel ... have a whole heap of Amazing Spiderman's that I can't seem to bring myself to sell ... have a complete run from #204-#677

ASM39.jpg

Have this one as an original from August 1966 (only a VG though).

Got to the stage where I wasn't enjoying the art or the storylines so I just stopped. I went on comicbook patches for a couple of months and now I have been clean for almost a year.

Last edited:
You need a man cave mate. :)

Did you hear that JJ Abrams has been signed to direct Star Wars Epidsode VII?
I did! I did!

I kind of feel a bit weird about it, knowing that he's just finished Star Trek. Surely the same man can't do both?

I did! I did!

I kind of feel a bit weird about it, knowing that he's just finished Star Trek. Surely the same man can't do both?

I don't know man, guess we will find out! While i would have liked someone who directs drama really well to take the reigns- to really grab on to the heart of the story- i do feel like they have chosen the right director to re-launch the franchise. They would be all too aware of the negativity surrounding 2 & 3, so JJ is the man to give the people what they need... i think.

For 8 and 9- id love to see some investment in directors like Aronofsky (The Wrestler, Black Swan) or even someone from the old guard- like a Ridley Scott. If it's one of the younger gen, perhaps they could even still work with a JJ type- someone who creates things of scale really well...

Overall, i am pumped, but a little nervous given the let down last time.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Ridley Scott would be brilliant, but chances of that happening?

At least JJ is a big fan of Star Wars, and he'll no doubt recognise that the last few films were a bit of a let down for most fans. I'm equally pumped.
I bought the Bluray box set of the IV, V and VI a while back, and tried to make the missus watch it. She ended up getting about 2/3 of the way through and asking "how long does this go for?". Meh.

There's quite a few good looking Sci-fi films coming out in the next 12 months. I'm just bummed that Tom Cruise is in the one that looks like being the best. Can't stand the little scientologist freak.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Ridley Scott would be brilliant, but chances of that happening?

At least JJ is a big fan of Star Wars, and he'll no doubt recognise that the last few films were a bit of a let down for most fans. I'm equally pumped.
I bought the Bluray box set of the IV, V and VI a while back, and tried to make the missus watch it. She ended up getting about 2/3 of the way through and asking "how long does this go for?". Meh.

There's quite a few good looking Sci-fi films coming out in the next 12 months. I'm just bummed that Tom Cruise is in the one that looks like being the best. Can't stand the little scientologist freak.

Yes, Oblivion looks like it could be great. And yes, i agree with you- it hurts a little that Cruise is in it. Oblivion, Star Trek- high hopes. Also looking forward to Kick Ass 2 as well, although a different genre to what we are talking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back