Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we engender any kind of affection at all in 99% of our past players?

If you are looking for validation from Adam Simpson, then you really don't understand Adam Simpson. His values, his loyalty, and his commitment are all shaped by his unique history and upbringing. He is a very loyal person but his loyalty is towards people and not institutions. His ongoing attachments are with the players and coaches he was connected to throughout his career and not with clubs.

Because you can insert a myriad of names in there, and it works;
. Watson
. McDonald
. Reid
. Windsor
. Caddy
. Wilson
. Cadman
. Weddle
And I cringe whenever I watch most of them play. Hopefully Zane reaches his potential but regardless an elite small forward was exactly what we needed. So he's kind of right.

And I cringe whenever I watch most of them play. Hopefully Zane reaches his potential but regardless an elite small forward was exactly what we needed. So he's kind of right.

Confident Zane will repay the faith J.Y.

Would Watson have had this current debut year at North ? Doubtful. Then our " mate " Hoyne would be " journalling " on how we wasted a pick on a 170cm small fwd.who can't kick straight. He wins either way doesn't he ?

Last edited:
If you are looking for validation from Adam Simpson, then you really don't understand Adam Simpson. His values, his loyalty, and his commitment are all shaped by his unique history and upbringing. He is a very loyal person but his loyalty is towards people and not institutions. His ongoing attachments are with the players and coaches he was connected to throughout his career and not with clubs.
Then why declare yourself a lifelong West Coast fan or randomly bring up Carlton?

What was his time at north, chopped liver?

Confident Zane will repay the faith J.Y.

Would he have had this currenty debut year at North ? Doubtful. Then our " mate " Hoyne would be " journalling " on how we wasted a pick on a 170cm small fwd.who can't kick straight. He wins either way doesn't he ?
Yeah. I'm pretty bullish on Zane too, still thinking he becomes more mid/forward than forward/mid and once he puts some size on lookout. Watson was a favourite from last year's draft and I definitely cringe watching him at the Hawks, nowhere near as much as Newcombe but.

Yeah. I'm pretty bullish on Zane too, still thinking he becomes more mid/forward than forward/mid and once he puts some size on lookout. Watson was a favourite from last year's draft and I definitely cringe watching him at the Hawks, nowhere near as much as Newcombe but.

She's gone Junk 💔 time to let go. We'll meet others and she'll always hold a place in our heart. But we'll get over her and meet someone new who will return our love and stay with us forever through thick and thin.

I doubt that Simmo goes back to assisting. He might be interested in a Head of Football role. We have Vodd for that.

Also, it doesn't suit Clarko to have senior assistants and ex head coaches hovering about. He tolerated Brett Ratten because it was a necessary insurance policy due to the Hawthorn racism saga. But once we got through the worst of that, there was no role for Ratten. Clarko prefers hungry and ambitious assistants who want to become head coaches, not career hacks who don't bring new ideas or challenge the game plan. Look at all the people who were swept aside after Clarko's first season and look at who was brought in this season.
Pretty sure Simmo's first gig after Arden St was under Clarko.... dragged Brady and others with him to WC.... you'd think there's something for him to do at the club. I hear what you're saying but Viney after all is in the box on game day, not exactly a young guy with ambitions to be a senior coach.

All the talk leading up to the draft was that Hawks were really high on Duursma, and would have taken him if he was there. Watson essentially landed in their lap. He's had a great 12 weeks. But 12 months after they're drafted, we're comparing a marking forward who is physically underdeveloped, playing in the least effective and efficient attacking side in the league and who will likely to develop into a tall midfielder, with a small forward who is playing in the hottest team in the league. It's a redundant exercise. Duursma's floor looks lower, but his ceiling as his game and body develop still feel higher to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2108284

Saw this doing the rounds this morning.

Ridiculous take from Hoyne 🤡

He was trash the first 15 rounds or so. When hawks were flying he started to produce. He would’ve been trash for us the whole season. How about revisiting this in 5 years, not after 2 or 3 good games.. these media people are flogs 🙄

doesn't work from overseas, even with a VPN.
I watch 7+ (and 10play and 9Now) using a VPN from overseas.

Not sure of your setup, but if you have an Amazon Fire Stick and know a couple of tricks to get fancy with changing the region so you can download the app (then change it back) it works like a charm.

Alternatively, Front Bar episodes are also uploaded on YouTube…

Then why declare yourself a lifelong West Coast fan or randomly bring up Carlton?

What was his time at north, chopped liver?
To be fair, when he was given the arse at West Coast and asked what he’d do next, he responded with words to the effect of “I’ll have fun watching the Eagles and the Kangas.”

If there's one thing I know about the draft, it's that you can always make a 100% accurate assessment of how your picks have gone within 12 months of it happening
Of course, that's not 100% accurate. :)

My take JY is that he is inferring that taking Zane was the wrong move. Not sure how any "expert" can that make that assessment after a single season.

Watto is a nice player and a great fit for us given our lack of genuine small forwards, but I doubt any of us will be cringing if Zane becomes the player that his talents suggest that he could be.

Also compared it to Richmond missing out on Buddy Franklin :tearsofjoy:

I watch 7+ (and 10play and 9Now) using a VPN from overseas.

Not sure of your setup, but if you have an Amazon Fire Stick and know a couple of tricks to get fancy with changing the region so you can download the app (then change it back) it works like a charm.
I use IPVanish VPN. And then obviously chosoe Oz as my connect region. Works for other sites/apps, but not 7+.
I don't have a Fire Stick. I'll send you a DM

Alternatively, Front Bar episodes are also uploaded on YouTube…
Yeah I've been watching them on Footy Bits channels for years, since back when it was v1. He's now up to v6 because they keep shutting his channels down. YT is ok but it's obviously not live, would be great to watch it live.

He was trash the first 15 rounds or so. When hawks were flying he started to produce. He would’ve been trash for us the whole season. How about revisiting this in 5 years, not after 2 or 3 good games.. these media people are flogs 🙄
Who the fk is Daniel Hoyne??? Oh he's a Champion Data Analyst,,,,,,the same number crunching bunch of bean counters that gave us Laughable Luffy, that based on height would have Matt McIness a key position back. He'd be working for a club in recruiting if he was any good.......erm nope, keep crunching your numbers champ. I say the same about analysts in my profession, if they were any flipping good, they'd be paid to take risk and manage portfolios of money. Nope, most don't have the plums to put their money where their mouth is, but love telling everyone how right they were with the benefit of hindsight.

Oh and here's something just a few short months ago has him ranking Collingwood the second best team in the comp! Sure they're the reigning premiers, but hell they haven't even made finals, sure as hell doesn't pass the common sense test, and is downright disrespectful to all finalists, particularly teams like Sydney, Brisbane, and Geelong who have been perennial contenders for a long long time.

12 months ago he was probably blowing smoke up Duursma's ass, who knows may have even coined the name Big Game Zane. Coudn't give a toss about a player running around in another clubs colors, Zane was our pick and I am quietly confident he will have a very good career with us filled with highlights, hopefully starting with mark of the year in his rookie season.

Pretty sure Simmo's first gig after Arden St was under Clarko.... dragged Brady and others with him to WC.... you'd think there's something for him to do at the club. I hear what you're saying but Viney after all is in the box on game day, not exactly a young guy with ambitions to be a senior coach.
That's my point though. There is a place for just one old hand in the department. With Vodd taking the spot, there was no room for Ratten and there's no room for Simmo. If Vodd decides to walk away, there will be a vacancy and an opportunity.

That's my point though. There is a place for just one old hand in the department. With Vodd taking the spot, there was no room for Ratten and there's no room for Simmo. If Vodd decides to walk away, there will be a vacancy and an opportunity.
Ah slot him in with Crock coaching the AFLW..... we can be like the Red Bull f1 team with drivers, constant pressure on coaches with another ready to step up if you don't perform.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back