Toast Congratulations Captain James Sicily 150 games

Remove this Banner Ad

The captain plays his 150th this week. The team need to do the right thing and bring home the win

Sic as a youngster was a firebrand in the mould of Dermott. He even had the red hair. He spent a bit of time at the tribunal just like Dermie before he matured. His younger years were spent forward of the ball where he could use speed and incredible judgement to kick some goals for us. This role that he played was highly inconsistent even at Box hill. So it was an inspired decision by Clarkson to start him in defence in preseason. His breakout in defence came using his kicking skills and intercept marking ability. It actually changed our recruiting and list strategy. It was an amazing transformation and has made him one of the top 5 defenders in the league especially offensively.

His ability to break open structures with his kicking and control the game from the back half has been a revelation and he has done a great job as captain over the last couple of years. He is enjoying his time this year even though he is injured. He holds the key to how far we progress this year. If that shoulder holds up there are no limits.

Once again congrats Skip hope you and the team can bring home the 4 points and sing the song again.

James Sicily, a man who has only played 150 games but arguably should have had 3 or 4 more than his sole All Australian appearance.

Crazy to think how he's turned his career around from the fiery guy the AFL demeaned with a best and worst video for one of his other milestones, to a thoughtful and considered leader of the club and an all time great. In 2022 and 2023 he produced two of the best back to back seasons I've ever seen from any defender, off the back of an ACL reconstruction no less.

Hope we can get the dub for him!

That summary mentioning his speed playing forward when he was younger has just reminded me, did anyone else notice that he recorded the equal fastest top speed during Saturday's game?

Hoping for the win for him and that his shoulder stays in place.

Sic is a rare combination of elite talent, elite consistency combined with just a smidgen of pure campaigner.

Just think how tough the last five years would have been without him, he's probably won us five to ten games in that time just on his pure brilliance.

Heres to another 150 games from "The Blonde Prince" 🥂🥂

Congratulations on 150 games James Sicily.
Also congratulations on having the maturity to realise you had to change your attitude and become the champion footballer you are today. You are a star.

When I think back to that draft pic with Garlett and Hartung, I doubt anybody thought he would be the best of the three of them, and even the only one to really have a decent career.

Champion.

Genuinely happy for James. Always showed that he was a talent and I didn't mind that fiery stuff in the early days except for a couple of occasions when he might have crossed the line. Almost. Going on to become one of the best in the league and captain is a tribute to his commitment to get the best out of himself and his intelligence. In a way, it is a bit of a Hollywood story. But I feel that final chapter of the script is still being written.

Watching those highlights I am struck by most how powerful Sic is, he never loses his feet and holds his position in marking contest so well.

Pound for pound he'd be one of the strongest players in the AFL I think.
I think Sicily's athletic attributes are severely underrated.

He also had the highest max speed measured on the ground last week at 32km/h.

Speed, strength, a great pair of hands, the best kick in the league and 4D game vision.

He's a ****ing unicorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Willed himself into today after looking a liability early to dominating from the second onwards.

Such a great leader and could watch his field kicks for days on repeat.

Willed himself into today after looking a liability early to dominating from the second onwards.

Such a great leader and could watch his field kicks for days on repeat.
Has happened a few weeks in a row. Started very slowly, having me question whether we should be playing him, then all of a sudden ends up with 30 touches and some game making/saving plays!

Has happened a few weeks in a row. Started very slowly, having me question whether we should be playing him, then all of a sudden ends up with 30 touches and some game making/saving plays!
Exactly this!

He's finding a way to impact even though his shoulder is hanging on by a thread.

He's not able to take those big contested marks at the moment, or really lay huge thumping tackles. So the team is trying to cover that for him (take a bow Impey, Wedds and Scrim) and they're feeding the ball out to him.

First quarters are usually pretty congested and that's where he looks shakiest. Once the game opens up a bit he knows how to position himself, read the play and chop off kicks without putting himself in a position to receive contact to the shoulder.

Even playing under duress he's still one of the most important cogs in the machine. Bloody hell he's tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Congratulations Captain James Sicily 150 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back