Congratulations Ryan Schoenmakers 50 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Ordovician

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As nice a kid (young man) as you would ever be likely to meet. Well spoken and very polite.

A pure delight to have on one's table at club functions.

Much maligned on these boards as he struggled withe the vicissitudes of being recast as a key defender.

It was great to see him play in his natural position up forward today, taking a few contested graps and slotting two goals (shoulda had three :( ).

Well done on 50 games and looking forward to the next two hundred.

Was about to post something similar, but you've said it so much better than me.

Confidence is up and as a result I think we're seeing what promise the coaching staff has seen since his draft year. Still think he needs some angry pills but I'm sure that will come in time once he gets some respect and attention from the opposition.

Congrats Schoey.
I admit I wasn't a fan early and slowly I am being proven wrong.:thumbsu:

He looked like he really enjoyed playing forward today, odd decision to sub him out I thought.

As a companion at the game today suggested, substituting him was probably to save him (keep him fresh) so that he can chase Cloke around next week.

Congratulations Schoey. Keep up the improvement. You are starting to turn the fans around (ours and the opposing teams'). Great work.

Players seem to like him. They were very happy for the young man after kicking his first goal against the Doggies.

I too hope he gets to play another 150+. Good to see a young man never giving up, no matter how many times he has been beaten or ridiculed. Success surely tastes sweeter when you get through all the garbage.

Congratulations Schoey. Keep up the improvement. You are starting to turn the fans around (ours and the opposing teams'). Great work.

Not the Cats supporters I was with in a corporate box at the ground yesterday. Both of them were goodnaturedly ribbing both Schoey and Gibbo.

Schoenmakers has made big strides as a key defender and if he can develop flexibility to go forward with AFL-level intensity, he'll become a very valuable player for the Hawks.

If people only knew how much the kid wanted to be drafted to Hawthorn, they may go a little easier on him. Both Adelaide and Port Adelaide have made overtures to him since he came to Hawthorn and he's just not interested. I don't know about others, but I like thinking that the players we have on the field are wanting Hawthorn to win every bit as much us supporters are.

It seems first impressions do last.

He was highly criticized early in his career (sometimes justified) and still yet to shag the criticism despite playing so well this season. He still doesn't judge the high ball well, but no defender is perfect and he has made a massive improvement with this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grats on the 50 games Shoey, shame you got subbed off though. Has really stepped up a level this season along with the whole backline, and if he continually improves like this he could be the answer we have been looking for. Also being able to swing forward is definately a plus.

Keep it up Shoey, another 250 games to go :)!

He's done the apprenticeship - now it's time to come of age.

Did well early in the year on Cloke last time in a free-flowing game which suited forwards, now it's time to do it again.

As much as I hate seeing a player smashed by his own supporters for years on end - I love when they turn it around and rise above all that crap to become a great player. Ryan is one of those players and every time he takes a mark a cheer a lot louder than I do for other players. Has worked his arse off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations Ryan Schoenmakers 50 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back