Women's Footy Congratulations to Chelsea & Erin - Most Courageous and MVP!

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke to a Suns mum after the match on Saturday and she had tears in her eyes too. Her daughter is in the Suns Academy - has two more years playing U18's before she can be considered for AFLW - but is so excited that she can actually even be considered. Imagine what her skills are going to be like with a further couple of years honing! This comp will improve and grow... and pretty quickly. We've had little girls chomping at the bit for this for many years. And like I said early on, I never thought I'd see it in MY life time. I'm so, so glad I have.

Dad was stuck in the huge line waiting for coffee at the Blues game here and started chatting with the bloke standing next to him wearing Calrton gear, turned out to be a father of one of the Blues' players. He was just so ecstatic about his daughter's chance to play the game she loved and he and his wife had plans to travel to all the games to watch her play. He was so very proud of her, and also really, really pleased at that time that Collingwood still hadn't won a game. :D

I was never a chance to play at that level even if it was available at the right time for me, but I love that now that I get to be a part of a club and play and help others on their way to maybe making it at that level because they now have the opportunities.

The Grand Final was the first match I had watched a decent chunk of the game...watched highlights from a bunch of other games.

The passion was palpable and infectious...could really tell they were playing for keeps. The skill level was far more mixed than in the mens' comp which is understandable when most players haven't been groomed for this their whole life but there were some amazing highlights that showed what the players were capable of.

However Erin Phillips was just on another level and it was brilliant to see her controlling the match almost like a true champion. Notwithstanding the compressed format of the comp it has to be one of the better individual seasons by any player male or female...Players' MVP, Grand Final MVP, Premiership Co-Captain and probably another gong or two to come!

Vote tally released for the MVP
Erin Phillips - 204 votes
Karen Paxman (Melbourne) - 149 votes
Darcy Vescio (Carlton) - 132 votes

Pearce was voted best Captain ahead of Erin and Emma Zielke from Brisbane. I know that Erin and Chelsea were a joint nomination so I presume that it was the pair of them in second place behind Daisy.

Bec and Erin will be interviewed on AFL360 tomorrow night from the W Awards. Robbo just asked 'why aren't we doing the show from there?' Gerard didn't have an answer apart from taking it up with those in the higher powers.

Also Erin was Robbo's Monday Champion, and Gerard had to change his pick from her because Robbo 'stole' her.

Bec and Erin will be interviewed on AFL360 tomorrow night from the W Awards. Robbo just asked 'why aren't we doing the show from there?' Gerard didn't have an answer apart from taking it up with those in the higher powers.

Also Erin was Robbo's Monday Champion, and Gerard had to change his pick from her because Robbo 'stole' her.
I'm surprised they both didn't go for some Essendon player.

Erin Phillips was paid $8,500 for this season, outrageous. If she got injured she would have lost her $110k WNBA contract.

I hope the club can somehow make it right and pay her back for what she would have been worth to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erin Phillips was paid $8,500 for this season, outrageous. If she got injured she would have lost her $110k WNBA contract.

I hope the club can somehow make it right and pay her back for what she would have been worth to the club.
That was amazing. Hope she has picked up some nice sponsorship $$$ in Adelaide.

The short clips shown of the On The Couch interview with Erin and her Dad look like it'll be good viewing for those who admire Erin. I know I'll be watching it.
Terrific segment. The relationship between her and Greg is obviously very strong. Great people. Can not believe she was only paid $8500. Her value to the AFL is almost undefinable.

risking a$110k contract f0r $8.5 k, unbelievable, it shows her passion for the game, shes worth more than 10x that for the womens league, shes the face of the whole league, open up the check book tight arses

really enjoyed that open mike, really humble nice folks the phillips

Was there prize winnings for the premiership? Disgraceful if the AFL have provided none and hopefully divided up between the girls if there was.

Sounds like the decision for her could be Olympics vs Football?

Certainly worth a lot more than $8,500 a year! her value to the AFLW and our club would be quite a bit. What's the most we could pay her currently? seems like some players also work for their club, something we could do there?

Raising her profile here in Australia is probably a good investment for her for a few years time if she plans to live and work in Australia.

I'm pretty sure the salaries are fixed, based on when you were drafted, if you were a marquee player, etc.

Yes, the salaries were fixed and controlled tightly by the AFL. Erin had to rely on sponsorship monies which meant she had a lot of outside commitments to try and fulfill at the same time as balancing her training and family life. As she herself said, the other girls as well had a hard time juggling full time work and the footballing commitments.

It wasn't revealed on the show, but Kate and Mike were on AFL360 just prior and Kate revealed that the day after she did her knee, Erin called her to offer her support. She had never heard or talked to Erin before, but Erin got her contact details and called her. That's the type of person Erin is and it is an absolute credit to Greg, Julie and their family.

Pure speculation but looks like Roo has given her and Greg accommodation and probably a shark cage dive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back