Delisted Connor Ballenden (2017-2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Former club: Brisbane Lions Academy
Height: 198cm
Weight: 96kg
Position: Defender

Graduate of the NAB AFL Academy who is a tall forward/defender who can also pinch-hit in the ruck. Strong overhead contested mark and excellent penetrating kick. Impressive for the Brisbane Lions academy up forward and very good down back for Allies in the NAB AFL U18 Championships.

Steve Conole, Recruiting Manager, says:

“Connor has been recognised as a highly decorated player during his under-15, under-16 and under-18 years. He’s a brute of a kid who’s gone all the way through our Academy program. Connor is still learning much of the game, but when he begins to get his motor up and fill out that big body he will be valuable in a number of roles for the Lions.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-11-23/pick-no-connor-ballenden

Last edited:
I know it's a highlights package BUT... Connor's disposal by foot was amazingly good - one tends to browse through highlight footage and there's always the odd errant disposal but the regularity of him not only spotting a team-mate in space but effectively passing the ball on with almost elite consistency is truly outstanding for a kid of his age and 'vertically advantaged'. :D

Great to have Connor tied up , great home talent , and we have seen nothing yet , he will be huge !

Connor BALLENDEN
2017 NEAFL (Brisbane Lions)

Totals
  • 7 games
  • 10 goals
  • 5 behinds
  • 0 times in best players list

Averages
  • 7.1 kicks
  • 3.1 handballs
  • 10.3 disposals
  • 4.4 marks
  • 0.9 tackles
  • 0.6 frees for
  • 0.4 frees against
  • 0.7 hitouts
  • 0.3 clearances
  • 1.3 inside 50s
  • 0.6 rebound 50s
  • 53.71 Dream Team points

He had to be polite when Freo picked him, so he sort of smiled, pleased.....but then WE bid for him which was accepted and then he WAS excited, genuinely so. You can tell by the way he clapped and the extra loud cheer of his friends.

..hope that was what you meant.

He had to be polite when Freo picked him, so he sort of smiled, pleased.....but then WE bid for him which was accepted and then he WAS excited, genuinely so. You can tell by the way he clapped and the extra loud cheer of his friends.

I think he looked more relieved than excited.

I think the initial reaction was "yes I'm drafted" ......because no matter what happened next, he was going to a club.
Then it was where am I going .... YES, Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think his best footy is as that deep 2nd forward/2nd ruck who can go behind the footy and intercept.

Conole was pretty clear that he still has a lot to learn so we'll have to patient.

What impresses me is he was making good decisions quickly (the speed of decisions in the big blokes is what really matters) and then was hitting his targets.

This guy has just replaced Cutler as my CHB in the pre-season games with speed the only question mark.

Does he have enough speed for CHB in the AFL?

In my opinion.

They have the makings of a really good backline.

With Andrews, Payne and Ballenden( these three should be teamed up asap to grow and learn together) all exceptional marks just need the speed in the small backs to shut down the opposition smalls and we've got something.

Maybe Smith/Martin(resting ruck) in goal square with Rayner at their feet and McStay being the deep forward, Leading forward.

That set up drags defenders deep and allows Hipwood plenty of space to do his thing at CHF.

That would be worth a try and worth paying to see again in my opinion.

Player Reviews: Ballenden, Lyons, Payne and Eagles
#38 - Connor Ballenden
Brisbane Lions Academy graduate Connor Ballenden had a solid first year at the Club. The tall forward was selected by the Lions with Pick No. 43 at the 2017 AFL Draft. He spent the year in the NEAFL working on his game and kicked 19 goals in 17 matches playing in the forward line but also helping out in the ruck on occasions.

A facial fracture midway through the year slowed his progress, but he bounced back quickly. His best match of the season came in Round 7 against Redland when he kicked a season-high five goals and took several strong contested marks. As is often the case with key forwards, their development can take some time. Ballenden impressed with his work ethic around the ground and contested marking ability in 2018 and will be pushing to make his Senior debut in 2019.

NEAFL matches: 17

The 2017 draft revisited (Michael Whiting)
Pick 43: Connor Ballenden
Kicked 19 goals in 17 NEAFL games, showing glimpses of his contested marking ability. Ballenden also helped out in the ruck. He is powerful, but like most teenage key position players will need a few years to develop. Needs to improve his agility and running, which he will likely do again through the reserves.

The Brisbane Lions have invested in their youth by extending the contracts of Connor Ballenden, Tom Joyce and James Madden.

The trio are integral players in the NEAFL’s undefeated side and all are chasing their dream to make their AFL debut.

All have extended their contracts with the Club until at least the end of the 2021 season.

https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-05-15/resigning

The unseen: Who is yet to play senior footy at your club in 2019?
Connor Ballenden: Played as both a key defender and key forward in the NEAFL and shown development from his first year. Getting closer to a debut, but more likely in 2020.

Who might play in 2019? With a reliable squad of 28-30 players to choose from, injury is the only avenue for any of the above to get a call-up. Lyons, Skinner and Berry are the most likely candidates if injury should strike.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Connor Ballenden (2017-2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back