Contextualising yesterday's (and Round's 1) loss into a bigger picture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2011
Basement of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
It's clear that at times we can play very good football and very poor football.

After a season(s) (2012 had similar incidents) of bleeding goals and failing to control the tempo of the game, we've obviously changed our game plan, as has most of the competition.

If you've noticed and football being cyclical, defensive and dour contests have come back into fashion.

I'll rattle off some quick numbers to illustrate the point I'm getting:

First four rounds of 2013 and 2014:
- Average score down from 99.0 to 86.7.
- 35 100+ scores in 2013 to 19 in 2014.
- 128 less goals league wide in 2014 compared to 2013.

Defense is the flavor of the month and this is something is very linked to the lack of cohesion of yesterday and round 1. Sitting right up in the back of the Ponsford Stand yesterday, it was incredibly clear what the problem is/was with our forward line.

In our attempts to shut down and play a more leaner style, our offense would press up the ground and look to shut off the Collingwood defenders with the ball/as potential targets of passes.

We were often successful.

The first time this happened, we would pressure and would win back the ball. The problem was, that looking up the ground, our forwards had not adjusted to this transition fast enough and failed to get into position. The ball would head back towards the 45 - 65 meter zone and then we got hurt on the turnover.

Even though we won in Rounds 2 - 4, highlights will show that we had this problem too. This is a teething phase of adjustment.

Improvements will come:

- in time (I've stressed in numerous posts that we will be unpredictable for the first half of the year)
- with Robbie/Majak playing more mobile 3rd tall role
- a greater communication between Black/Petrie/3rd tall
- perhaps introducing Nahas to the fold on occasion to add unpredictability.

I have been incredibly critical of Scott in the past and I will continue to be as I think he still has issues on game day. That being said, this is a more sustainable way of learning to play.
Unless you have the quality of Hawthorn, you don't have the firepower to bust down team zone defenses. We don't, so we must conform and we must learn to scrap with the best of them.

We are yet to concede 100 points in our first five games of the season (including two 35+ point losses). This time last year we had already conceded the 100 point mark three times and in 2012 we had let it happen three times also.

I understand the wait is frustrating, and that this whole post is cautious optimism (it could unravel too and Scott and co. could get it wrong), but if we are to get there, this is the best path. This is the way we have to go.

Good post, but as a neutral supporter I do believe that North has one of the best young list in the comp. It takes a few years for the young kids to really find their feet, North has some awesome talent, some very hard at it young kids and some good KPP talent that is well supported by gun experience. I think you will be pushing for the top 6 this season, followed by the top four next. Another point the season has only just started and is 5 rounds young, still a long way to go and mark my words North will click into gear very soon, going to be scary.

Great post BGS.

Our defensive running this year is heaps better. The offensive running is paying a huge price for this, running in waves has turned into running in mud. We have not had more than 2 blokes still running by the time the wave hits midfield, hence the horrid turnovers. Mullett needs to run plenty harder, he can be that last link and the long goal kicker. His interrupted preseason is hurting us.

I think the team needs to show up every week and personnel may well be the issue here - not just demographics.

We need a real commitment to establishing a brand based on tackling, discipline, pressure, work rate and consistency.

Players who can't or won't turn up every week need to be weeded out. We now have enough depth not to be held to ransom by lazy players.

Scott's tolerance of passengers is becoming a huge problem. Maybe it's a lingering legacy of his early days 2010-2 where he had to gift games to kids with elite talent(Ziebs, Cunners, Basti, JMac, Atley, Mullet and Black) just to build a team.

But the time has come to start picking the team on output.

If Nahas was recruited as a 27 year old small fwd with pace and pressure, THEN PLAY HIM if he is fit and in form(which he is)

If BMAC can't play at the top level for quarters, then let him learn to do so in the VFL.

So long as Scott keeps picking guys who go out of the game for long periods, he is sending a message to the playing group that this standard is acceptable. He is therefore creating a passenger culture. If this a signature part of his coaching style then he will not be successful. And neither will North.

So long as Scott keeps picking guys who go out of the game for long periods, he is sending a message to the playing group that this standard is acceptable.
To his defence I dont think there are an excess of players putying in 4 1/4s challenging for spots. IMO out better ins in the next 5 weeks will be players returning from injury unless some smokeys start kicking the selectors door down like levi did recently.

S
To his defence I dont think there are an excess of players putying in 4 1/4s challenging for spots. IMO out better ins in the next 5 weeks will be players returning from injury unless some smokeys start kicking the selectors door down like levi did recently.

Surely Majak is kicking down the daw. His pace and marking power would put Currie to shame.

Nahas gave the door more than a gentle nudge last week before he was subbed off.

Wood looks the goods. As does Tippett.

I know we have injuries to vital players that are really starting cut deep, but I'm not buying the line that this 22 is all we have. JMAC has one good game from five this year. But I bet you he gets named again this week.

That loss would have been over 80 pts over the last few years. It seems like we had given up winning by half time and were in damage control. I am not sure if shows improvement, but at least we stayed with them when the route was on.

The thing is it seems any team can beat you if you don't bring the effort. Look at the Saints last night and Gws against,the Swans.

We lost to a very good team that out worked us.

I just wish we would try something when we are out of it except for the scoreboard. Petrie to CHB, Lachie to CHF, Lt and Boomer in the square and Black linking across wing. It may not have worked but try something FFS.

Sent from my waffle machine using Tapatalk.

I think we are under selling Collingwood's performance a bit as well. Speaking to some football literate Pies supporters, that was equal to if not the best they have played in twelve months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is it seems any team can beat you if you don't bring the effort. Look at the Saints last night and Gws against,the Swans.

I just wish we would try something when we are out of it except for the scoreboard. Petrie to CHB, Lachie to CHF, Lt and Boomer in the square and Black linking across wing. It may not have worked but try something FFS.

Couldn't agree more, BE. We don't seem to have any moves at all. Nothing, nil , nada.

S

Surely Majak is kicking down the daw. His pace and marking power would put Currie to shame.

Nahas gave the door more than a gentle nudge last week before he was subbed off.

Wood looks the goods. As does Tippett.

I know we have injuries to vital players that are really starting cut deep, but I'm not buying the line that this 22 is all we have. JMAC has one good game from five this year. But I bet you he gets named again this week.

Haaayyyy?

You could tell in the first 15 min of that game we were going to lose if we continued to play the same. That's the thing with north, you can usually tell in the first q if we are switched on or not as we never seem to be able to change things around when we aren't playing well.

It's clear that at times we can play very good football and very poor football.

After a season(s) (2012 had similar incidents) of bleeding goals and failing to control the tempo of the game, we've obviously changed our game plan, as has most of the competition.

If you've noticed and football being cyclical, defensive and dour contests have come back into fashion.

I'll rattle off some quick numbers to illustrate the point I'm getting:

First four rounds of 2013 and 2014:
- Average score down from 99.0 to 86.7.
- 35 100+ scores in 2013 to 19 in 2014.
- 128 less goals league wide in 2014 compared to 2013.

Defense is the flavor of the month and this is something is very linked to the lack of cohesion of yesterday and round 1. Sitting right up in the back of the Ponsford Stand yesterday, it was incredibly clear what the problem is/was with our forward line.

In our attempts to shut down and play a more leaner style, our offense would press up the ground and look to shut off the Collingwood defenders with the ball/as potential targets of passes.

We were often successful.

The first time this happened, we would pressure and would win back the ball. The problem was, that looking up the ground, our forwards had not adjusted to this transition fast enough and failed to get into position. The ball would head back towards the 45 - 65 meter zone and then we got hurt on the turnover.

Even though we won in Rounds 2 - 4, highlights will show that we had this problem too. This is a teething phase of adjustment.

Improvements will come:

- in time (I've stressed in numerous posts that we will be unpredictable for the first half of the year)
- with Robbie/Majak playing more mobile 3rd tall role
- a greater communication between Black/Petrie/3rd tall
- perhaps introducing Nahas to the fold on occasion to add unpredictability.

I have been incredibly critical of Scott in the past and I will continue to be as I think he still has issues on game day. That being said, this is a more sustainable way of learning to play.
Unless you have the quality of Hawthorn, you don't have the firepower to bust down team zone defenses. We don't, so we must conform and we must learn to scrap with the best of them.

We are yet to concede 100 points in our first five games of the season (including two 35+ point losses). This time last year we had already conceded the 100 point mark three times and in 2012 we had let it happen three times also.

I understand the wait is frustrating, and that this whole post is cautious optimism (it could unravel too and Scott and co. could get it wrong), but if we are to get there, this is the best path. This is the way we have to go.
Fantastic post GBS, good to see someone with an obvious good knowledge of the game posting on here. It sure beats most of the other tripe posted after we lose.

I agree with these points you make. It's all about our team-defense and the work rate required to make this happen.

When the work rate is off by just a few percent (as it was yesterday) the whole game plan is put in jeopardy. What good teams are able to do on these occasions is use their superior composure, decision making and skills to work through this. We were lacking in all three yesterday, mainly because Collingwood didn't allow us.

You could tell in the first 15 min of that game we were going to lose if we continued to play the same. That's the thing with north, you can usually tell in the first q if we are switched on or not as we never seem to be able to change things around when we aren't playing well.

When Bastinac kicked that miracle snap in the first minute, I was jumping on the coffee table singing the club song. Premature exuberation.

So much this. I can't recall a change up gameday move under Brad's tenure. It is my biggest concern of him as a coach.

Would've loved to have seen us isolate Lachie on top of the goal square - the only player on Saturday that comes close to his contested marking ability from the Collingwood team is Cloke.

I agree with this. I think Scott is a good coach in terms of preparing the side pre-match. He's a stunned mullet on game day if plan A doesn't work. Spends more time shaking his head at umpiring decisions (which are usually correct) than coming up with a plan B or C.
Surely Saturday was the time to try something different? The only change I could see in the 2nd half was that we tried to move the ball out of defence with short kicks. No positional changes - nothing. How we could allow Maxwell/Sidey to set up a defensive wall ALL DAY and do nothing about it astounds me. Why not man them up? Or better still, have Petrie go down and stand in the goal square, so Maxwell is FORCED to man him up. At least when our backs/mids look up, they will have a long kick to a forwared leading out of the goal square instead of trying to thread a pass through 5 defenders to a 5'11 bloke with 3 meters of space!

Remove this Banner Ad

Contextualising yesterday's (and Round's 1) loss into a bigger picture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back