List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Youve just proved the point.

The 25-29 age profile we lack is in mids.

Ryan ?fitness
Duggan
Cole
Waterman Allen key positions.
Sheed cooked
Hunt 30 next yr

No mids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
My 21-25 group literally has no mids….(unless we count Chesser which is up in the air)

Also Baker/Graham are not mids, they are flankers primarily

We have been waiting for equalisation for how long?

And all we are seeing is grand final teams being provided leg ups through dodgy policies to grow TV rights deals

The Vics all see WA as whingers anyway. So what exactly is the downside of holding the AFL accountable to their dubious policies and actions?

The softly softly approach has got us what exactly? SFA. And for years I supported the behind closed doors softly softly approach.

It has got us nothing while other clubs playing in back to back grand finals and now priemiers are about to land access to a 2nd #1 pick quality father son with a another AFL discount. PLUS discounted academy access. And every year seems to land free agents. Triple dipping into the AFL allowed priority access. Whilst bottom clubs access nothing but their picks get downgraded as the AFL policies are assisting other "more needy clubs?" Just WTF is going on AFL?
Dont forget the back to back Grand Finalists get 19 mill per year more funding then us while Pykey and co raise the price of our memberships by 5% this season...

Maybe if they grew a pair and got fair funding they wouldnt have to keep asking the fans for it instead

Last edited:

The bell has rung.
Predictions:

Graham, Parfitt in
14 for 24 and Baker
Darling for 67
Barrass and F4 for 14, F2 and F3
Dev for Hawks F3
Rotham, Witho, LEdwards delisted
We take pick 3 to the draft
We narrowly miss Garcia

Preference:
Barrass and salary for 14 and F1
Garcia for Petruccelle
Dev for swap F4s
Darling for 61
Baker and Graham for F2, 25 (compo), Culley
Rotham for Band 5 FA (Pick 45)
Delist Edwards, Witherden
Hawks F1 for 18 (Richmond via Lions)

Draft: 3, 14, 18, 26, 45, 61, 62
FOS, Lindsay, Hynes, Oliver, Mraz, Champion, Stumpf, Dennis (R)

Last edited:
The bell has rung. Predictions:

Graham, Dev, Parfitt in
14 for 24 and Baker
Darling for 67
Barrass and F4 for 14, F2 and F3
Rotham, Witho, LEdwards delisted
We take pick 3 to the draft
We narrowly miss Garcia
Graham as free agent
14 for 24 and Baker
Darling for 67 (trade done today)
Barass for Pick 14 and 30
Rotham goes to Essendon as a free agent, LEdwards medically retires, Witho gets 1 year deal as we miss out on too many players
We take pick 3 to the draft as North beat us to the split
Jack Carroll in for pick 67 after we miss out on other targets

What I hope:
26 + Culley for LiamBaker
61 for Darling
Barass + f3 for 14 and Hawks f1

3,14,61,62,Baker

What I think:
(FA) Graham
F2 for Dev
14 + 33 for Barass
14 for Baker
67 for Darling

3,26,33,62,67,Baker,Dev,Graham

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Graham as free agent
14 for 24 and Baker
Darling for 67 (trade done today)
Barass for Pick 14 and 30
Rotham goes to Essendon as a free agent, LEdwards medically retires, Witho gets 1 year deal as we miss out on too many players
We take pick 3 to the draft as North beat us to the split
Jack Carroll in for pick 67 after we miss out on other targets
14 for Baker + 42
Darling for 67
3 for 6 + 18
TB for 14 + F2
62 for Dev
Jack Carroll for 67
With, Culley get 1 year.
Rotham goes as FA
L Edwards med retire

In- Baker, Dev and J Carroll
Out- TB, Darling

Draft- 6, 18, 26, 42
6- Travaglia
18- Hynes
26- Oliver

Last edited:
14 for Baker + 42
Darling for 67
3 for 6 + 18
TB for 14 + F2
62 for Dev
Parfitt as FA
With, Culley get 1 year.
Rotham goes as FA
L Edwards med retire

In- Baker, Dev and Parfitt
Out- TB, Darling

Draft- 6, 18, 26, 42
6- Travaglia
18- Hynes
26- Oliver

If we are going to trade 3 for 6+18 then just scrap the 18 and get Baker. Then keep 14.

Giving Richmond 3 & 14 in any amount of combinations is pretty much terrible for us (unless we get back 6, a pick before 14, and Baker. Which I don’t think they would do).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still blows my mind how high Baker is regarded. Jack of all trades and no where close to being a master at any. Type of player you’d bring in if you were contending as he can bolster the midfield unit and his flexibility means he can be used to plug holes when you need to. That said it just seems like we are really bringing him in as he is a west aussie in the right age group and wants to come to us.
Seems like Gold Coast levels of pathetic and desperate.

If we are going to trade 3 for 6+18 then just scrap the 18 and get Baker. Then keep 14.

Giving Richmond 3 & 14 in any amount of combinations is pretty much terrible for us (unless we get back 6, a pick before 14, and Baker. Which I don’t think they would do).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Id love to and 14 is a prime spot in the draft imo. If we’ve committed 14 to Richmond already I feel Richmond won’t do it.

If everyone is throwing the kitchen sink at GC's draft pick, I hope we shop around Hawthorns pick 14.
AFL.com.au reporting Blues are offering their F1+F2 for it, if that's a starting point for a trade, it feels like pick 14 is seriously overvalued.
Yep, you’d hope Clarke is all over this. 19 and 22 getting offered for 13 atm. Doubt it wins the bid as GC want picks for next year. You’d hope we dip into that but as someone has said here previously, seems we have committed 14 verbally to early (even if we don’t have it yet)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back