Opinion Control Alt Delete - Rebooting the System

Remove this Banner Ad

TimmytheTiger

Team Captain
Jan 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
In 1990 Paul Keating famously said of the Australian economy it's "The recession we had to have"

That is Richmond is 2024. Are we going as low and long as Hawthorn - probably not.

From here out '23 will be a jaunt down memory lane a 12 week lap of honour that is worth basking in.

Getting the jigsaw pieces back together in the correct order is going to be one hell of a task. One so big that I think that we may have recruited Hopper and Taranto BECAUSE we knew it was coming.

With no coach in place (assuming that Mini doesn't get the job long term), the optimist in me says we have a chance to build a new game plan built on the future core. The pessimist well that I don't really want to utter publicly.

Who is that actually? Taranto Hopper Bolton Balta Baker Gibcus Ryan Graham Sonsie Clarke Cumberland Rioli

There are a few other potential core players, and dependant on the length of time it takes to come back up maybe we still have them i.e Shorty.

Then the fringe guys where hopefully they keep coming, but there is no real body of work to know either way (I really HOPE MRJ makes it for example)

And then there is the '21 draft crop - do they come on? - If they don't the recession is longer.

So, having heard the howls of the future recession, knowing that Dimma was looking to pull the pin at the start of next year (which is what he said in the presser), the club made the call to cash in it's draft hand to get Taranto and Hopper as a versatile midfield duo to start the rebuild. The question that is in my head is did these guys have this spelled out for them? Two seven year contracts with the age profile of RFC says the answer to this is yes. "Boys, we are going to throw everything at a premiership in '23, if we don't make it we are going to build a team around you for the long term future. Along the way you will get to play in front of huge crowds week in - week out"

So when a club knows that they are going to transition do they get a coach which has coached a game plan which suits your future core? For example: If we end up getting Josh Carr, are we going to take an iteration of the Port Adelaide style of game and then build out the future recruiting profile to match? Furthermore, what is the length of time which it takes to draft and recruit to (re)build the team in this image?

Do you, as a club make the decision that the game plan still holds water, and continue with it - thus putting Mini squarely in the drivers seat to extend the life span of the chaos ball.

And I guess that there is also an option where an external coach says, I think that I can get more out of your games style than Dimma could and I want to drive this forward. Think Leppa.

ALL of this effects the draft this year, where the RFC have to either make this call ahead of the draft, or go into the draft with small capital, so that they can't bet big and therefore can't lose big - thus circling me back to the idea that we knew full well and said exactly that statement to Taranto and Hopper, where they may have been considered as players capable of being taught a plethora of game styles, or the best option to steady the ship. Hind sight is a wonderful thing, but I remember being struck by a comment Dimma made a month (or so) ago (and I am para-phrasing) about the state of the list without these two - that defiant twinkle was in his eye.

There is quite a lot of Waffle in there, but keen to hear about opinions of the order of architecture and reconstruction. Full knock down re-build coming I think.

Starting with Peggy's departure if you think about the generational IP walking out the door from 2021 through to 2025 - finding the right person/people to "drive the Ferrari" is a huge task ahead of us.

Enjoy the next 12 weeks... Winter is coming - here's cheers to that not lasting 37 years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back