Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

I was really impressed with his game tonight. The hard-working midfielder that takes a backwards step for the Wellinghams, Thomases and Pendleburys in the future. I see a bit of Lockyer in him, like he just does his job, week in, week out, and is solid. He also seems capable of being a utility type where he can go to the backline, play in the midfield, or even jump up forward (still needs to prove theres goal kicking ability).

Don't rate him much.

He doesn't seem to think and lower his eyes. He just seems to kick.

On the flipside, McCarthy shows poise and composure.

I can't see Cook having a future.
i hate how some collingwood supporters would litterally turn for the younger blokes like mcarthy,mcaffer and dyas.

when the slightly older players like cooky, iles and stanley do show much more composure, skill level is higher and are better players of the game. cook>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mcarthy.

Having watched the game twice now, I would rate his game as good without being anything outstanding.
I think MM would have been happy with his efforts, which is not to say he will retain his spot.
If he is dropped it will simply to "test" and " reward" another player.

i hate how some collingwood supporters would litterally turn for the younger blokes like mcarthy,mcaffer and dyas.

when the slightly older players like cooky, iles and stanley do show much more composure, skill level is higher and are better players of the game. cook>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mcarthy.
Hahaha. Yeh, ok

McCarthy shows much more poise and composure than Cook. He's a genuine footballer.

McCarthy will make it, Cook will be one of those players that are that little bit off AFL standard.

Hahaha. Yeh, ok

McCarthy shows much more poise and composure than Cook. He's a genuine footballer.

McCarthy will make it, Cook will be one of those players that are that little bit off AFL standard.

Cook I think will turn into another utility about him. He seems to have a bit of Lockyer about him. I believe he will be in our team with Stanely, McCarthy all being part of our future mid field.

Cook I think will turn into another utility about him. He seems to have a bit of Lockyer about him. I believe he will be in our team with Stanely, McCarthy all being part of our future mid field.
He wont be.

Every year since we drafted Cok, we've drafted superior players to him. The trend will continue.

This up and coming draft has midfielders with better skills than COok, and just better footballers imo.

He'll end up playing VFL. I like the way he goes about it, but Cox, Cook, Iles, Egan and Toovey wont make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see Cook turning out to be a hard running Daniel Cross type of a player i see him having a future and with a full Preseason next year should make a big claim for starting 22

Smiddaz has nailed it - I agree with each of those players. Could almost throw Stanley into that mix as well, but not quite sure yet.

Those players listed just don't have weapons to their games.

I could see Cook turning out to be a hard running Daniel Cross type of a player i see him having a future and with a full Preseason next year should make a big claim for starting 22
Was bottom age when drafted so probably deserves another year but would need to develop further. Shows glimpses at the moment but not enough for me to label him a definite.

If he turned out a Daniel Cross type player I think all concerned would be fairly happy!

yep, cox and egan dont have any weapons

?????

cox especially is one of the most talented players on our list, egan has potential+++ aswell, both have issues either in their head or with the coaching staff, probably a combination of both.

Cooky has only played the 8 games and he has been solid without been a standout.

What has impressed me is his attack on the footy for such a young player. Hits the contest very hard.

Skills are ok and will improve as he gathers more experience. Needs to keep getting games into him.

His kicking penetration also impressed me. I didn't think he could generally kick 50m but that set shot was terrific on Friday night.

People that are willing to give him the flick simply have no idea. He was drafted bottom aged and is in our clubs top 5 in the aerobic stuff. If he can become a gut-busting runner like Daniel Cross or Ben Cousins (not necessarily to their level) then we have done well with Cooky.

Toovey, however..........:rolleyes:

yep, cox and egan dont have any weapons

?????

cox especially is one of the most talented players on our list, egan has potential+++ aswell, both have issues either in their head or with the coaching staff, probably a combination of both.

Both have terrible flaws preventing them from holding any position on the ground and it doesn't matter how skilled you are, you need to have a spot on the field to be worthy of a game.

Cox, is not fit enough for midfield as well as being ubber soft. Is not accountable enough for defence at AFL level and does not attack the ball well enough for a foward.

Egan sprays the ball to much and is to outside for midfield, is not accountable enough for defence and is behind too many (Thomas, Didak, Medhurst, Davis, even Sharrod) in regards to being a flanker, the same could actually be said for Cox.

At vfl level Cox and Egan can get away with being unaccountable as the foward and teams do not punish them enough and our VFL sides need for highly skilled players means we can overlook that and let them run around at will in defence. At afl level that simply won't cut it.

Didn't see the point of starting a new thread so I thought I'd add it here.

One thing I don't understand or see the point of is the way MM seemed to be trying to play Toovey and Cook in the same role and hedging a bet each way. It is clear that Toovey doesn't have the skills for the midfield and I think he could be pretty handy as a small defender whilst Heater is out. I am really not too fussed with which it is (althought I'd prefer it be Cook) but one needs to be left in the midfield with the other being tried or groomed as a small defender.

I do see Cook eventually being pushed out, I think for the last couple years it's been clear that he could run and easily play the outside link and gut running type role, his skills and decision making are very average ATM but he has really added well to his inside game. I still think he is well behind Stanley in terms of skills for the midfield and am still puzzled at how Cook has managed around 5 games where Stanley has managed one (although I know part of that is due to Stanley not being able to play last week.)

As for Checker's beef, I do agree that many fans automatically jump from one player to a younger player simply because of age, but in the J-Mac vs Toovey arguement I think J-Mac has shown as much as Cook in the last couple weeks and is a fair way younger.

At vfl level Cox and Egan can get away with being unaccountable as the foward and teams do not punish them enough and our VFL sides need for highly skilled players means we can overlook that and let them run around at will in defence. At afl level that simply won't cut it.

big statement considering they haven't been tried at AFL for an extended period
egan was as impressive as any of our younsters through the backend of 2006, altho he comes across as brash & confident, he actually is not, he is the ultimate confidence player, he needs to feel like he belongs, i truely believe he could flick the switch and actually become a top 5-10 player at our club, will probably never happen tho and thats a shame

by the way i never said these guys will make it, they are close to the axe, and the floors you listed are valid

however their potential is enormous and there are obviously issues behind the scenes as to why they haven't been given an extended trial

i believe if these 2 ever felt like they belonged ie were confient and comfortable at afl level they would be top 5-10 players at collingwood

Draft Video to Check Out:

[youtube]YSczgDuwtYw[/youtube]

big statement considering they haven't been tried at AFL for an extended period
egan was as impressive as any of our younsters through the backend of 2006, altho he comes across as brash & confident, he actually is not, he is the ultimate confidence player, he needs to feel like he belongs, i truely believe he could flick the switch and actually become a top 5-10 player at our club, will probably never happen tho and thats a shame

however their potential is enormous and there are obviously issues behind the scenes as to why they haven't been given an extended trial

i believe if these 2 ever felt like they belonged ie were confient and comfortable at afl level they would be top 5-10 players at collingwood

I have said it before the biggest problem that Chris Egan has had at the Collingwood football club is that we drafted Dale Thomas. Chris played his best footy in the role in which DT has played over the last couple years, the floating mid sized foward flanker. DT came into the side with equal athletic ability and strong hands, a bigger work rate, harder at the football and better footskills. Thus Egan has not been able to play that role at AFL level.

Confidence is no excuse for his footskills and whether they feel like they belong or not it doesn't change the fact that neither of them ever pay any mind at all to the fact that in football you have a direct opponent and it is not a big statement to say that at AFL level under a coach who is commited to a one on one style of play, that a defender who simply does not defend will not make it. If either were playing loose in defence it would be a different story but MM won't do that ( and I tend to agree) and as such you can't afford to have defenders who don't tow the line. Even if we did play a loose man in defence, you would hope they would be willing sit in the hole and cut of leading fowards, neither Egan or Cox have been willing to put in to a contest.

As such there is no way they have top 5-10 players at the club potential. As i have said you can have all the skills in the world and be a training ground superstar but you need a place on a ground where you can apply your trade and due to their fitness (Cox), accountability, footskills (Egan) intensity. They do not have a place on the ground they can play without being a liability.

I have said it before the biggest problem that Chris Egan has had at the Collingwood football club is that we drafted Dale Thomas. Chris played his best footy in the role in which DT has played over the last couple years, the floating mid sized foward flanker. DT came into the side with equal athletic ability and strong hands, a bigger work rate, harder at the football and better footskills. Thus Egan has not been able to play that role at AFL level.

Confidence is no excuse for his footskills and whether they feel like they belong or not it doesn't change the fact that neither of them ever pay any mind at all to the fact that in football you have a direct opponent and it is not a big statement to say that at AFL level under a coach who is commited to a one on one style of play, that a defender who simply does not defend will not make it. If either were playing loose in defence it would be a different story but MM won't do that ( and I tend to agree) and as such you can't afford to have defenders who don't tow the line. Even if we did play a loose man in defence, you would hope they would be willing sit in the hole and cut of leading fowards, neither Egan or Cox have been willing to put in to a contest.

As such there is no way they have top 5-10 players at the club potential. As i have said you can have all the skills in the world and be a training ground superstar but you need a place on a ground where you can apply your trade and due to their fitness (Cox), accountability, footskills (Egan) intensity. They do not have a place on the ground they can play without being a liability.
Even with the expected move of Thomas into more of a midfield role, I suspect Dick or Macaffer would take the half forward role in front of Egan.

I can't see him being with us in 2009.

thats part of the problem at the moment, this intense focus on the opposition, lets be ultra worried about what they're gonna do all the time? lets back our talent to some degree

we have under utilised attacking weapons at the club, lets focus on the strengths of cox and egan, especially cox, his strengths are compelling, yet all you are interested in is negatives, yes he is loose, but geez he is beautiful in traffic, lets try and exploit that strength

we need to stop thinking why not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back