Traded Cooper Stephens - Traded to Hawthorn as part of Henry/Mitchell deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
With us potentially bringing in Bruhn and Bowes, and perhaps looking to offload some fringe players for picks/spots, his name has started to come up as a potential trade.

188cm/86kg inside midfielder who hasn't yet established himself in the team (although injury hasn't helped). He'd be very much in the mix from 2023 onwards, but might be looking at a move for more guaranteed game time.

Any club wanting some relatively cheap midfield depth might be interested.

With us potentially bringing in Bruhn and Bowes, and perhaps looking to offload some fringe players for picks/spots, his name has started to come up as a potential trade.

188cm/86kg inside midfielder who hasn't yet established himself in the team (although injury hasn't helped). He'd be very much in the mix from 2023 onwards, but might be looking at a move for more guaranteed game time.

Any club wanting some relatively cheap midfield depth might be interested.
Come up where exactly?

Would take.

F2 for Stephens and 36?

Its 38. And yes id do that only because bringing in an extra future 2nd means we can do the bowes and bruhn and henry deals, in isolation its a bargain.

Id rather do that trade as F2 for stephens with 48 55 58 (as its more davey points for you than 38 and keeping 38 is better for us).
Would only do it if he wanted to go though would rather keep him.

Its 38. And yes id do that only because bringing in an extra future 2nd means we can do the bowes and bruhn and henry deals, in isolation its a bargain.

Id rather do that trade as F2 for stephens with 48 55 58 (as its more davey points for you than 38 and keeping 38 is better for us).
Would only do it if he wanted to go though would rather keep him.
I dont think we will have enough list spots for 3 picks, besides if Davey is bid on after 22 then 38 and 40 will cover it.

All speculation though from what I can tell that he would even leave.

I dont think we will have enough list spots for 3 picks, besides if Davey is bid on after 22 then 38 and 40 will cover it.

All speculation though from what I can tell that he would even leave.

Fair points on all counts.

I could see us entertaining a trade for a third round pick. He'd be pretty low in the pecking order at Geelong with Bruhn, Bowes and your pick 7 coming in if you hold onto it. Parfitt and Holmes also well and truly ahead. Can't see him getting a game in the next few years unless bulk injuries hit the cats.

Last edited:
I could see us entertaining a trade for a third round pick. He'd be pretty low in the peacking at Geelong with Bruhn, Bowes and your pick 7 coming in if you hold onto it. Parfitt and Holmes also well and truly ahead. Can't see him getting a game in the next few years unless bulk injuries hit the cats.

Third round is fair value but we would rather bundle stephens and a couple of our 3rds for a 2nd as it will help grease the wheels on other trades.

I feel like this is incredibly unlikely. Chris Scott has spoken about how much he rates him and as long as he stays fit he'll get lots of chances to prove his worth next year. I don't see why we would trade him for a nothing pick.

I feel like this is incredibly unlikely. Chris Scott has spoken about how much he rates him and as long as he stays fit he'll get lots of chances to prove his worth next year. I don't see why we would trade him for a nothing pick.
Sure, but since he was drafted Geelong have brought in Bowes, Bruhn (in theory), drafted Knevitt and has pick 7 on the way, whilst still having Parfitt, Guthrie, Dangerfield, Atkins in front of him

Opportunity is going to be scarcer than it has been, and I wouldn't blame him for looking elsewhere for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a nothing pick if it helps us get our targets.

Would you trade Cooper Stephens for pick 7 and Jack Bowes?

Sure, but since he was drafted Geelong have brought in Bowes, Bruhn (in theory), drafted Knevitt and has pick 7 on the way, whilst still having Parfitt, Guthrie, Dangerfield, Atkins in front of him

Opportunity is going to be scarcer than it has been, and I wouldn't blame him for looking elsewhere for it.
But we lose Dahlhaus, Higgins and Selwood who played 36 games this year between them. Bruhn and Bowes were fringe players in ordinary teams. Duncan, Tuohy, Smith and Guthrie will be rotated when they weren't really at all this year.

He's going into his 4th year and seems to have overcome his injury issues. He'll be given every chance to prove himself. Wherever he goes he'll be up against guys the quality of Bowes, Bruhn, Knevitt, etc for a spot. If he can't win a spot in Geelong's best 26 or so which means he'll play 20+ games then it's because he's not good enough not that there's too much competition at Geelong.

Cooper is a local player who has he injury issues so hasn’t had the best run but also has great leadership skills.
It’s true he will face more pressure for midfield time. But he’s a really well liked person and player at the club and contracted.
He’d only be traded if Cooper was happy to go and for a good deal.
He’s not going to be traded for a third round pick or as part of an upgraded pick.
There will be plenty of midfield space for him and others soon enough anyway. He needs to build up his fitness to be able to have a longer and bigger impact in games.

Luckily Belly and wallsy love a scrap!
Mackie is the man in charge now, I'm hearing he's unorthodox but doesn't mind the odd frontal assault

I had been pretty worried about losing him actually. He did a bunch of preseason over west and did personal training with I think Hayden Young and a few other wa players. I see now he's shacked up with a local Geelong girl though so I'm hoping he's sticking around.

Don't tack him onto some other trade though. It's disrespectful. Scratcher is the main event.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Cooper Stephens - Traded to Hawthorn as part of Henry/Mitchell deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back