Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Oh, hello folks.

It's back....! The biggest and best AFC BigFooty game from 2012 (sorry Kristof) is back - bigger and better than ever. Or, more accurately; the same size and no better. We're just playing it again.

Participants from 2012 will remember the excitement, the frustration, the sniping over the rules and the near riot that broke out when Ian Callinan was a late withdrawal and blew away half the field. What fun we had. Dirty Bird talking his way back in after being overseas for three weeks. The two complete fizzer competitions that ended with no one winning. Me trying over and over again to explain the sub rule (to no avail).

Those who hadn't tuned out in a rage by the end of the season will remember that Board favourite and raging alcoholic Coopers was the eventual winner of the competition. He won naming rights as part of his prize pack (part = 100%). Congrats Coops! Several of his suggestions were deemed too offensive by the Board heavies who rule with an iron fist (eg Craig's United Noble Troops - goalkicking challenge) so we have gone with the above.

What the dooslefudge am I talking about the newbies are asking.

Well, it's the Goalkicking Game.

Rules
You have to pick a Crows goal kicker each week. If they kick one you go on to the next round. You can’t pick the same player twice. Last one left wins.

To enter you must submit a goal kicker before the first bounce of the Crows-Bombres Round 1 clash. You make your selections in this thread.

You can change your selection right up until the first bounce of the game.

Emergency / Sub
In the interests of fairness, I tried to implement an emergency and substitute rule last year. It was either too difficult to understand or everyone on here is just really stupid. Either way it just made things more complicated. No one understood it. Plus I still didn't win. So it's gone. Now you just pick one goal kicker.

If your goalkicker is subbed on/subbed off... bad luck.

If your goalkicker pulls out late, whichever player replaces him becomes your selection. If there is more than one late change, it is done in alphabetical order. I won't try to guess who has replaced who - too hard and not always obvious. So it will be done in alphabetical order. Please ask for clarification now if that doesn't make sense. Don't have a cry after you get eliminated because of it and claim you didn't understand.

The Slippery Slope
One of the weaknesses of the competition is that after a while it ends up with only a handful of competitors. Interest wanes and the last few rounds drag out, sort of like the last minute of a basketball game. For that reason, when we get to the ‘business end’ of the competition we are going to expediate matters.

Once we’re down to 10 tipsters or less remaining we will move to double speed. The remaining tipsters will need to pick two goal kickers each round, a first choice and a second choice until we get an ultimate winner.

We will also switch to secret ballot for this double speed period. Tipsters will need to PM me their selections and I’ll publish them just prior to the game. The positives are that this adds an element of cloak and dagger to the competition and for me it’s kind of exciting to get mail.

Immunity
If your goal kicking choice kicks the first goal of the game (the game... not just the first Crows’ goal) you buy yourself an Immunity Card. This will effectively get you out of jail should one of your goal kicking choices finish empty handed. And you can bank more than one Immunity Card if you're a particularly savvy operator.

I love this rule, and mostly because some nuffy will think they've won an Immunity Card when their selection kicks the Crows' first goal, not realising that it had to be the first goal of the game. I really enjoy giving them the bad news.

Absenteeism
No doubt there will be some sob stories. Was travelling overseas in the mountains of Mongolia… internet was down… was working down a coal mine and didn’t have reception… kidnapped by aliens… Well hard cheese. If you don’t get your selection in you are instantly eliminated, except in the case that you have snared an Immunity Card.

I think that’s everything! But just to recap for those at the back...

Selections must be in by the first bouce
You can't select the same player twice
You make your selections in this thread
You can change your mind right up until the first bounce
That's it! Strap yourselves in for 22 rounds of edge of your seat action and whinging.

The good news is that we're collectively hopeless at picking goal kickers. We started in Round 4 last year and still comfortably fit in three games. So don't worry if you f*** it up - just give it a few weeks and you'll be back in!

Play ball.

Absenteeism
No doubt there will be some sob stories. Was travelling overseas in the mountains of Mongolia…
That was 2 holidays before, last holiday was just mountains of China.

What about the radiojake late rule where you miss the first round *(because of a redcard by sensitive essendon mods) but you come into play the 2nd round by picking bouth Johncock and Jacobs to both kick goals in the same game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going Thompson and just to clarify, Scott
Well, you'll be eliminated, because I really cant see a North Melbourne defender scoring in an Adelaide vs Essendon game o_O

So I name one sub and one injury replacement, and these have to be listed in alphabetical order, correct? Drugs Are Bad Mackay?
That's right. You have to correctly guess which opposition player will be sub and also his hat size.

What about the radiojake late rule where you miss the first round *(because of a redcard by sensitive essendon mods) but you come into play the 2nd round by picking bouth Johncock and Jacobs to both kick goals in the same game?
That rule has been removed.

In fact it is even MORE removed than the sub rule is.

Mostly because STO blew his stack and yelled at me.

Oh man, some sub rule confusion GOLD contained below. To me, this is what BigFooty is all about. Getting fired up and sniping at each other over minor things. And well played Froggy with post of the thread :thumbsu:

Already ditched the sub rule Carl?
I thought there was a rule for no changing rules mid-comp
Or did you want to break 2 rules at once?

They had to nominate a SUB backup, not just a late withdraw backup.

So re-reading the rules I need to go Petrenko (SUB Wright) (Wright)?

Do you really think 90% of people would have only have done the late replacement while 5% would have gone the substitute option?

And no one did both to cover their arse?

I think it's obvious for anyone with a full brain that the rules wern't clear and now 3 people are being punished due to a misunderstanding.

I for one was keeping a track of the competition as each goal was kicked, and before the game had started I changed the selections of the 3 that went with Petrenko to Walker and Wright. That was my understanding of the rule.

I was surprised that more people didn't use the SUB option.

But I really don't think it could have been much clearer. Heck, there was an entire section on it in the rules on Page 1, with a bold heading named "Substitute" - it wasn't exactly tucked away in the fine print.

And it is simpler than you are making out.

Name your goal kicker - eg Walker

If you want some insurance for if your goal kicker pulls out, add an emergency - eg Walker (Tippett)

If you also want some insurance for your goal kicker being used as the sub, add SUB - eg Walker (SUB Tippett)

The whole OP was fine print!
It just dragged on!

And I think everybody kinda agrees. Surely someone, just one person would have read it all and known they needed to go Wright (SUB Callinan) (Callinan) to cover all options. The fact that nobody went this path shows that there was a misunderstanding.

When I saw your post mid voting I thought you were kinda ******ed because I had thought just about everybody had overed the SUB. Obviously I misunderstood what you were on about and it seems others did as well.

I finally understand, you're like today's AFL

Year 1 - Create a plan, then make rules on the run
Year 2 - Create new rules to try and mask the problems from the previous years rules
Is next years rule "There are no rules"?

The league would make alot more sense if it was simple, you know, like pick the goal kicker or you're out, no picking the same guy twice.

Letting people in mid-season created problems, then letting people back in, then creating rules to cover up complaining people who made a poor decision. The first 2 should never have happened (and yes, I was the benefitiary of one) and the latter 2 should have just been told 'tough luck'. Your new rules are just like the holding the ball decision, no people playing the game have any idea what you're going to do. I half expect you to now allow what ever is inside the parentheses to over both sub and withdrawals now.

I say we go back to game 1 selecting now, let the 3 who made a mistake go through because they just got bitten on the butt by our very own AD. But back to being simple, 2 rules.

1) Select a goal kicker each week or you're eliminated
2) No using the same player twice or you're disqualified

Must admit Carl, I did read the whole thing, and I missed that too. :oops: I'm lucky though, coz my guy kicked a goal.

I don't think the rules could be simple enough for you to understand them.

Just spotted this bit...

What's in the parenthesis does cover both the sub and withdrawals... IF you include the "SUB" option.

Please tell me you're now trolling? :p

shoot+me+now.jpg

So in other words the late withdrawal rule is just a rule to confuse others into making mistakes when putting SUB covers both substitutions and withdrawals?

Maybe try that sentence again.

But I think what you're asking is...

You don't have to use the SUB option.

If a poster has "Matthew Wright (Ian Callinan)" for instance I think they'd be a little miffed if Wright starts as the sub but kicks a goal, Callinan doesn't kick a goal and they get kicked out of the competition as a result.

=/

I did post Taylor Walker as backup thinking it was going to be for the sub. Expect 80%+ people to use the SUB term next round instead of %5.

Obviously you did not make it clear enough.

Yeah clearly a lot of people misunderstood.

But I don't think it could possibly be explained any more explicitly than it is in the OP.

Yeah I wasn't even sure if we were supposed to be picking a player who was going to kick a goal or be subbed. Or if it was for the crows or kangaroos. There was all sorts of confusion

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions Coopers Memorial Edition Goalkicking Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back