Copeland

Remove this Banner Ad

NathanD

All Australian
Sep 21, 2001
Tassie
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I see the Tigers are going all out for Bushie.

Does anyone know more than this article suggests:

Money - apparently a $100 000 pay rise
Opportunity - would be a regular in any Tigers team.

Poor sod, fancy having to go to the Tigers rabble to find opportunity.

C'mon Lions - find a way to keep Bushie on the list.

(Memo to Akka - still happy with your cunning Sydney stunt and pay rise?)

Tigers/Bushie

Tigers eye Lions hero
By Greg Denham and Chip Le Grand
November 13, 2003

ROBERT COPELAND is the poster boy for the AFL's northern expansion, having once described himself as a Queensland ambassador for football.

Ironically, he might also be the only member of this year's Brisbane premiership team playing for a Melbourne club next season.

Copeland, the last Lion out of contract, is expected to decide his playing future this week after further discussions with Brisbane officials. But if a new contract cannot be agreed to, the man who blanketed Collingwood captain Nathan Buckley in this year's grand final already has a full-time midfield job and $100,000-a-season pay rise waiting for him at Richmond.

The Tigers, who have the fourth pick in next month's pre-season draft, yesterday confirmed Copeland would become their recruiting priority if available.

Copeland met Richmond football operations manager Greg Miller late last month in Melbourne. Miller said yesterday the club had room to accommodate both the 23-year-old dual premiership player and disgruntled utility Ray Hall under its salary cap.

"If he's available next month, we'd certainly consider drafting him," Miller said. "He'd be a great bonus.

"One of the attractions of us is that we would be able to provide him with the opportunity to play regularly in the midfield. With Robert, I believe it's more to do with opportunity than money."

Brisbane are expected to offer Copeland a three-year deal but according to a source close to negotiations, the Lions will not get "within a bull's roar" of the terms on offer from Richmond due to their own salary cap pressures.

Copeland was the feel-good story of the Lions' 2001 season. He started as a rookie-listed Lion in the QAFL and finished on the MCG dais with a premiership medal around his neck.

After the disappointment of being dropped from last year's grand final team, Copeland remodelled himself as a hard-running, defensive midfielder. His grand final performance on Buckley won praise from his coach Leigh Matthews.

He has played just 53 games for Brisbane but his experience growing up in the Hanson-belt town of Kilcoy and commuting 150km to train and play with QAFL club Southport on the Gold Coast is a celebrated part of Lions lore.

Known as "Bushie" by his team-mates, Copeland typifies his upbringing by fishing twice a week during the football season. To relax during grand final week, he took his rod and tin dingy out on the nearby Caboolture River.

Richmond, in the process of rebuilding after a dismal 2003 season, was the aggressor of trade week, launching a successful play for Nathan Brown and an unsuccessful tilt at Essendon's Dean Solomon.

The Tigers have three non-listed players with AFL experience training with their pre-Christmas squad and are expected to use a second pre-season draft pick to recruit de-listed Kangaroos premiership player Shannon Motlop.

The out-of-contract Hall, originally from Woy Woy, north of Sydney, has refused to resume pre-season training with the Tigers and has held discussions with Sydney officials about relocating. Although Miller is confident Hall will stay at Punt Road, he has made clear his preference to nominate for the pre-season draft.

The Australian

According to my "sources" (which are more reliable than SB's ;)), Bushie's brand new bride is not so keen on a change in scenery...so it might come down to who wears the dacks in the Copeland household as to whether he moves to Termiteland or not.

Interesting reference to "Copeland, the last Lion out of contract" in the story. Does this mean Pikey has put pen to paper?

Interesting reference to "Copeland, the last Lion out of contract" in the story. Does this mean Pikey has put pen to paper?

A further question - where is Morrison? Rumour has it he's also in the land of the other big cat.

Originally posted by Eagle Eye

A further question - where is Morrison? Rumour has it he's also in the land of the other big cat.

I presume the club gave Morrison a 2 year contract last year coz he wasn't listed as one of the out of contract players. I dunno why we gave him 2 years. That paper could have gone to better use.

I hope neither of them (Morrison & Copeland) don't let the door slam on the way out :eek:

If any supporter was asked a few months ago whether they'd be willing to "forgo" Copeland to keep the rest of the senior core together, I doubt that ANYONE would have baulked at that. While it's not ideal that we lose any player, if the most we lose over three years is Copeland thanks to a Salary Cap squeeze, we've done pretty well.

Morrison is expendable. Has been for a few years.

Originally posted by Mr Ripper
According to my "sources" (which are more reliable than SB's ;)), Bushie's brand new bride is not so keen on a change in scenery...so it might come down to who wears the dacks in the Copeland household as to whether he moves to Termiteland or not.

I too am assuming that the 'last Lion out of contract' comment means exactly that. Sheez knowing the club won't comment on the status of negotiations/re-signings, at least the managers could make a comment or 2 to the media so we can find out!!!!!!!!

I suppose in the long run, should the $100K+ rumours be accurate, at least it might stiffle, or at the very very least confuse, the 'Melbourne Mafia' in their quest to find a legitimate complaint about about the Salary Cap concessions.

Local Boy/Home Grown player, lured to a Vic Club, even when we have the concession - they will have a field day!!!! Untill of course they can justify how a Salary difference of $100K is acceptable.

I mean seriously - this lot claim the only reason we have won the last 3 cups is due to that allowance. Apparently that allowance has let us keep more than 3/4's of our team. That's going to equate to Approx $20K extra per player. Yet an unsuccessful (onfield) club can go and chase/lure/pressure/poach a player with an extra $100K??????? If that is the case, the allowance certainly doesn't work the way the Melb Mafia claim it does.

And more than anything else, it is despicable that we could lose such home grown talent because of such an offer.

And Ripper - good to see your use of reliable sources! I too enjoyed the article in paper a couple of weeks ago that stated Felicity had told him in no uncertain terms that she was not relocating! I suppose the only comfort Lions supporters can take from that is that even after that particular ultimatum the wedding still went ahead.........Somehow I don't think she is someone to be messed with. An "I Do" follwed by an "Oh by the way we are going to Richmond", probably wouldnt' go down very well at all!

Robbie Copeland is the Patron of the Woodford Leos Club. A community service club for youth in the country district he grew up in.As the President of that club, about a month ago I emailed the club regarding the rumours and Robbie.No reply so far, not even a courtesy reply,which is extremely poor in my view. I have had all our members, from 12 to 24 asking about the alleged rumours regarding his future, and frankly its getting annoying that the club has this so called no speaks policy.

I can assure you that the youth in the Woodford Leos Club are extremely angry at the club, for not replying to their email.Also at the mere thought that Robbie is expendable. It does not give much hope to the youth of this district when their Patron and role model who has instilled in them that you can achieve what ever you want with hard work, even if you have to travel 3 hours each way to training, as well as do your school work. That you can make it.These kids are angry at the thought that hey you can be thrown on the scrap heap, not wanted even though you have worked hard, done good as some say.Its a blight on the Brisbane Lions that they can adopt this attitude with a local country kid.

Shame on you Brisbane. Without him in the Grand Final, Buckkley would have run amok.He came ontoo him when Hartie was struggling. He is the youth of our taggers.Who else can do that job in our team at that same age.

I can forsee a marketing nightmare for the club if he is delisted today. Local boy delisted.

Originally posted by Homer
Robbie Copeland is the Patron of the Woodford Leos Club. A community service club for youth in the country district he grew up in.As the President of that club, about a month ago I emailed the club regarding the rumours and Robbie.No reply so far, not even a courtesy reply,which is extremely poor in my view. I have had all our members, from 12 to 24 asking about the alleged rumours regarding his future, and frankly its getting annoying that the club has this so called no speaks policy.

I can assure you that the youth in the Woodford Leos Club are extremely angry at the club, for not replying to their email.Also at the mere thought that Robbie is expendable. It does not give much hope to the youth of this district when their Patron and role model who has instilled in them that you can achieve what ever you want with hard work, even if you have to travel 3 hours each way to training, as well as do your school work. That you can make it.These kids are angry at the thought that hey you can be thrown on the scrap heap, not wanted even though you have worked hard, done good as some say.Its a blight on the Brisbane Lions that they can adopt this attitude with a local country kid.

Shame on you Brisbane. Without him in the Grand Final, Buckkley would have run amok.He came ontoo him when Hartie was struggling. He is the youth of our taggers.Who else can do that job in our team at that same age.

I can forsee a marketing nightmare for the club if he is delisted today. Local boy delisted.

I know where you're coming from, but losing Robert Copeland, if we lost him, is no big loss considering we could have lost blokes like Power, Lappin, Michael, Bradshaw etc. If he is delisted, we will just get more QLD players in the draft and/or rookie draft.

Bit harsh there Homer.

I understand the disappointment and frustration about the non-reply of the email, and the possibility of a loss of a role model. But to say the club sees Robbie Copeland as expendable is wrong, they are trying everything within their means to keep him. The ball is in Copeland's court, whether he stays and plays in a successful side with a bright future, or whether he chases the dollars and places his lot with a rabble of a club. Sure he may get more opportunities at the Tigers, but he also won't have the luxury of being surrounded by such good players. Many a player has been found wanting when moving from a good team to a poor one.

If Richmond are offerring Copeland $100k per year more than the Lions, then it would be very hard for Copeland to pass it up. He has limitations as a footballer, and if a club is stupid enough to pay that sort of money then he would probably be mad to pass it up. I am a great admirer of Copeland, his tenacity and endeavour are second to none, yet ther is still no guarantee that he will be a regular senior player in 2004. With the Scotts, Notting, and Shattock to return to the side, and the development of Selwood, Brennan, Corrie etc. it is going to become harder for him to cement his spot in the side.

You lions supporters can still find the time to whinge after 3 flags? Amazing! With all the sun you guys have up there, you'd think that you'd have better things to do.

Copeland may be the first player you lose to salary cap constraints in three premiership years. You guys should be pinching yourselves that you've been so lucky, rather than sooking.

Here's a tissue!

:D

Originally posted by Wally Matera
You lions supporters can still find the time to whinge after 3 flags? Amazing! With all the sun you guys have up there, you'd think that you'd have better things to do.

Copeland may be the first player you lose to salary cap constraints in three premiership years. You guys should be pinching yourselves that you've been so lucky, rather than sooking.

Here's a tissue!

:D

Hey Wally, how is Luke power fitting in at Richmond!:rolleyes:

Go back to your own board!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be a great loss to Brisbane if we are to lose our Bushy, whom has become the future of the lions when we are faced with a mass exodus of retirements in the very near future.

SB, your source is about as reliable as Maverick's P76. You folk should know by now to stick with the nose that knows.

Dunno what Danni means...I don't read the papers. :confused:

Morro had a one year contract, by the way. My source was the gentleman himself. Morro is a good friend of the BRITS.

Would u like a pie with that source?

Copeland poised to quit Lions
By Stephen Rielly
November 19, 2003

Richmond's feverish assault on the recruiting market appeared to garner more success yesterday when Robert Copeland indicated that he intended to leave the Brisbane Lions and nominate for the pre-season draft.

Against the appeal of Brisbane's extraordinary triple premiership success, next year's tilt at history and the comforts of living in his home state, Copeland has nominally accepted a three-year Richmond offer to bring his 53-game career to Melbourne.

When the Lions assemble in Coorparoo today, to begin their 2004 campaign, the dual premiership wingman will not be there. For one, he is not due to return from a fishing trip until Friday, but more significantly, he told his manager, Ron Joseph, yesterday morning that he was "likely" to nominate for the pre-season draft.

"At this point, he's heading for the pre-season draft," Joseph said. "It's not over the line and I've spoken again with Brisbane today, but over the last 24 hours, he's probably moved in that direction. When I spoke to him this morning, that was his advice."

Brisbane was still to receive official confirmation of Copeland's decision last night, but coach Leigh Matthews said "the dogs are barking it".

advertisement

advertisement

"We haven't been told that he is leaving, but we've made Robbie the best offer we can in our system and clearly he's going to get more than that. I think the dollar signs are in the eyes," Matthews said.

It is understood that the Lions were offering a two-year deal to the 22-year-old, who emerged from the club's rookie list in 2001 to play in the premiership of that year and enjoy more flag success this year.

His arrival as a player three years ago was an extraordinary story of persistence and reward. He played 17 games in 2001 for 16 wins and a premiership, but did so after having been passed over in the draft system twice and completing a torrid summer campaign just to get a chance to train with the club and play in the reserves.

The simple act of nominating for the pre-season draft, though, will not guarantee that Copeland and Richmond will be united in the draft of December 16. His path to the Tigers isn't obstacle-free, with Melbourne holding third selection in the draft, one choice before Richmond.

Last night, the Demons were not discounting the possibility of selecting Copeland.

"We'll wait to survey the entire landscape before ruling anyone in or out," Melbourne football manager Danny Corcoran said.

The first two selections belong to the Western Bulldogs and Carlton, who intend to recruit Jade Rawlings and Nick Stevens, respectively.

The Tigers, who have been wooing Copeland for more than a month, brought him and his wife Felicity to Melbourne late last week.

The pair were married several weeks ago.

Dees plan trap to get Copeland
19 November 2003 Herald Sun
Darren Cartwright

MELBOURNE is prepared to upset the best-laid plans of Brisbane Lions dual premiership tagger Robert Copeland and deny him free passage to Richmond by snaring him in the pre-season draft.

Copeland's manager Ron Joseph said it was highly likely his 22-year-old client would nominate for the pre-season draft, with Richmond his preferred destination.

"I would say he is heading to the pre-season draft, although it's not locked away," Joseph said.

"However, the Tigers do not have the first live pick in the pre-season draft."

But what Copeland wants and what he gets may be two different things, with Melbourne keen on the 52-gamer.

With Jade Rawlings (Hawthorn) heading to the Western Bulldogs and Nick Stevens (Port Adelaide) most likely to be aligned with Carlton early next week, Melbourne will have the first live pick on December 16.

Demons football manager Danny Corcoran said they would have no hesitation in claiming Copeland, the only uncontracted player on the Lions' list.

"We are in discussions with Ron Joseph," Corcoran said.

"We've said all along we have several options for the pre-season, but we will take the best player available when we have our pick."

Lions chief executive Michael Bowers was hopeful Copeland, who has only recently married and built a house at Redcliffe, would remain at the club.

While he has played 52 matches since making his debut in 2001 and has been promised time in the Tigers' midfield, he has played mainly defensive roles at Brisbane.

He has collected no more than 16 possessions in any game and is recognised more for his discipline and tagging skills than ball gathering.

As an uncontracted player, Copeland must nominate for the pre-season draft by December 2. He can do so as early as Sunday after Saturday's national draft.

Delisted Lion Shane Morrison has until 2pm today to nominate for the national draft.

If overlooked, he can still be recruited in the pre-season draft.

Morrison, 22, played five games in two seasons at the Lions and attracted the interest of Sydney and Richmond during trade week.

He asked to be delisted to allow him to find a new home.

The Brisbane Lions begin their quest for a historic fourth consecutive premiership today when pre-season training for next season starts.

A club spokesman said several key Brisbane players would not make an appearance at the voluntary session because of long service, injury or representative duties.

The first compulsory session will take place on December 8.

thanks Nathan...

for the record.... the end of every season nowadays brings with a lot of uncomfortable negotiations. relaity is you can pretty much expect to lose at least a couple of players each year (excluding retirements) due to player values going up due to good form, or players not living up to form and thus becoming expendable etc etc.

given we've won 3 premierships in a row, i think ending up only losing morro and bushy in these circumstances this year is a good result. it would be great to keep em all but reality is its virtually impossible. it could have been a handful of stars. look at essendon a few years ago when they lost 3 favourites (outside of the argument of salary cap mismanagement etc), they were 3 popular players with the fans..... a good result.

and thats no rumour that i heard down the pub from vossy's wife's hairdresser's butcher's cousin's dog groomer's husband's great uncle's daughter-in-law's newsagent who knows all about the club.

I know, I know,it's completely irrational of me to feel this way, and couldn't agree more that the Lions have done wonders with their list management but it still irks me that a local dual premiership player, ambassador for the Lions and one of the few hardened taggers we have has to leave at the early stage of his career, when long serving senior servants of the club are saddling up for almost certainly their last year.

In other words we're giving up say 6-8 years of Copeland's career for another year from a couple of the oldies. So much for the list turnover and renewal that Leigh spoke of after the GF.

Still, despite the retention of a couple of oldies, a masterful piece of work to have kept the heart of the list in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Copeland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back