Copeland

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by NathanD
I know, I know,it's completely irrational of me to feel this way, and couldn't agree more that the Lions have done wonders with their list management but it still irks me that a local dual premiership player, ambassador for the Lions and one of the few hardened taggers we have has to leave at the early stage of his career, when long serving senior servants of the club are saddling up for almost certainly their last year.

In other words we're giving up say 6-8 years of Copeland's career for another year from a couple of the oldies. So much for the list turnover and renewal that Leigh spoke of after the GF.

Still, despite the retention of a couple of oldies, a masterful piece of work to have kept the heart of the list in place.

Agree 100%. Would have hoped that he could of stayed 1 year extra year under the current arrangements and then reap the benefits of a lot of retirements etc. Probably not to be.

So much for the keeping of local talent.One hopes that the young Queenslanders are not being disadvantaged on the list, by the attitude of " they will stay no matter what we offer them, they will want to stay at home ".Lets hope some of those rumours being bandied around are not true, that we have only offered Bushie a very low contract.

Don't we get a higher salary cap concession in future according to the number of Non Quenslanders on our list. I may be wrong but local boys might be more expendable in future.

Can someone provide us with our new concession rules?

Originally posted by leaper
Can someone provide us with our new concession rules?

Basically the Lions along with the Swans, will be able to pay up to 12 players each season an extra $30,000 allowance provided they continue to have less than 40 per cent of players from their own state on their list. Effectively that's a 5% bonus to the salary cap.

Other clubs will also be eligible for this allowance if they drop below 40 per cent local players on their list.

What this effectively means is while the Swans’ total salary cap allowance will only drop by one to two percent (they also get a permanent 7% cost of living allowance) – the Lions’ salary cap allowance has been slashed from an extra $590,000 this year to a maximum of only $360,000. At the moment this is 6%, but will be effectively 5% of the expected salary cap by the time it comes into effect at the beginning of 2006.

The club would be doing all they can to keep Copeland. Before people start accusing the club of not keeping Copeland and not wanting him, if Copeland wants to play for us, he'll sign the contract. If we lose Copeland, don't blame the club, but blame Copeland instead. His fate is in his hands.

Originally posted by Roylion
Basically the Lions along with the Swans, will be able to pay up to 12 players each season an extra $30,000 allowance provided they continue to have less than 40 per cent of players from their own state on their list. Effectively that's a 5% bonus to the salary cap.

Thanks Roylion what that basically means to me is - if your not a gun and your a Queenslander, why keep you.

It's a harsh world

Originally posted by Ally
Brisbane may not be doing enough to keep Bushy, otherwise he wouldn't be in the dilemma that he is. I am unsure on the knowledge that you have to be able to say that they would be doing all they can to keep him.
I don't think there's much doubting the fact that the club is doing all it can to keep Bushy, but the fact that Brisbane has won the last 3 flags probably has something to do with the fact that just about every other club in Australia would be willing to pay Copeland more than what he will get in Brisbane. I'm with SB on this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Copeland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back