finders

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2004
Brighton
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
Looks like CH9 are playing a very cunning game and might just end up with the rights with foxtel.

Michael Warner
April 18, 201112:00AM

A fierce tussle is on for TV footy rights and the AFL is looking like the big winnerr.
[/B]
THE AFL is on the brink of its biggest-ever pay day.

League chiefs will meet with Channel 9 early this morning, where the network will make its final offer in the race for footy's TV rights.

Nine has made a late play for control of the five-year contract, to run from 2012-16, in a pitch that would see it share home-and-away broadcasts with pay-TV giant Foxtel.

The AFL Commission will meet later today to assess the bids from Nine, Foxtel and rival co-bidders channels 7 and 10.

A decision could be announced as early as this afternoon, but is more likely later in the week. It is believed Seven and Ten will be given one last chance to better Nine's offer.

The AFL is eyeing a $1 billion sale price, well up on the existing figure of $780 million. AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick returned from a business trip to London yesterday and has been updated on the progress of the negotiations.

Speculation over the TV rights race spilled over during coverage of yesterday's Melbourne-Gold Coast clash at the Gabba, which was aired by Seven on a long delay.

"Do you think we'll be calling (football) in 10 years' time, Dennis?" Bruce McAvaney asked co-caller Dennis Cometti.

"We might not be calling next year, Bruce," Cometti replied.

"Whoops," McAvaney said.

Seven has come under fire from footy fans and the league for refusing to go live on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons.

Nine has committed to live broadcasts from next year and will also allow Foxtel to simulcast all of its matches if it reclaims the AFL contract.

Foxtel will secure five of the nine home-and-away matches from next year regardless of the winner of the free-to-air battle.

Foxtel the winner in footy deal

Caroline Wilson
April 18, 2011 .

CHANNEL Seven has agreed to share Friday night football with Foxtel for the next five years as the battle for the 2012-16 broadcast rights moves close to a resolution.

A $1 billion, five-year deal remains in the AFL's sights, with a report expected to be tabled at today's AFL Commission meeting in Melbourne confirming that Foxtel will televise all nine home-and-away games live, with four of those games simulcast with the free-to-air broadcast partners.

The AFL last night refused to comment on the broadcast negotiations, but The Age understands that the competition remains hopeful of a resolution before Easter.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Channels Seven and Ten remain in the front-running to win back those rights although Channel Nine in understood to be putting in its final bid today.

Seven executives met AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou three days ago.

Mike Fitzpatrick, chairman of the AFL's broadcast team, who also chairs the AFL, returned to Melbourne over the weekend from international business commitments.

Whatever the conclusion, the broadcasting of Australia's national football code will be transformed from next season, with the AFL having negotiated the sale for the next five years of every premiership game, bar the grand final, to pay television.

Significantly more than 30 per cent of Australian homes now subscribe to Foxtel, a figure expected to significantly jump as a result of the forthcoming AFL deal. Along with the grand final, Seven and Ten have also insisted that the Brownlow Medal remain exclusive to free-to-air.

The AFL will also prove successful in its bid for live coverage of every game.

Channel Seven, should it prove successful, will host Friday night football in a simulcast across Australia with Foxtel in an agreement which would see the two televising identical ads.

Channel Nine had already agreed to the nine home-and-away game-sharing arrangement. While the final figure remains uncertain, Channel Seven, which is also bidding on behalf of the Ten Network, has put forward a $400 million five-year bid, as revealed two weeks ago by The Age.

Foxtel, which will pay at least $500 million for five exclusive games, four shared games and every final on a shared basis apart from the grand final, could lift that figure to more than $550 million.

The roles of Channel Nine and Ten in the current negotiation remains uncertain. Nine appears determined to hold the next free-to-air NRL rights but is not out of the AFL race.

Ten is expected, but not certain, to continue its free-to-air partnership with the Seven Network and televise two Saturday games each week and share the finals with Seven. While Ten has indicated it would continue to televise both Saturday afternoon and its premier Saturday night game - sharing both with Foxtel - its financial position remains uncertain.

Either way, Channel Seven has bid $400 million on behalf of both networks in an agreement not including extra money for marketing and advertising.

Should Ten choose not to continue to televise AFL, Seven has committed to televising

More Bruce for four years but I'll subscribe to Foxtel to enjoy live coverage of FTA. Looks like Seven will simulcast (in Perth times)

1. Friday Night football (5.30PM)
2. Saturday Afternoon Football (12NOON)
3. Saturday Night Football (5.00PM)
4. Sunday Afternoon Football (12NOON

Grand Final and hopefully Brownlow Medal to be exclusive to Seven.

Yes: The son of The Dirty Digger, Lachlan Murdoch, hates AFL, loves N.R.L. and is concerned the ONE HD Channel is a dead duck focussing on sport alone.
Evidence is, since Lachlan taking over ONE H.D. is no longer exclusive to sport. The other matter is Channel 10 do not seem to have the money.
My bet is Ch9 and Fox.

lets hope so.

gee i have a feeling 10 might pull out it's deal with 7 for some reason

They can't, they're legally bound to each other this time round.

Nine and Fox will win the day, I think. Nine will resell Saturday to Ten, and keep all finals.

Just an odd footnote I thought of...if Ten is even partly successful in getting a piece of the action, it means the poorer cousin of FTA TV would have been an AFL broadcaster for 15 years.

Whoda thunk.

they are legally bound to bid together, not televise together.

according to caro 7 have committed to showing all 4 FTA games if 10 dont want to participate

;)

But anyway, I would find that veeeeery interesting, if Seven and Ten bid together and Ten tried to offload their share.

I don't think Seven have the cash to pony up $500m large to cover their end of the billion, and I'd be intrigued to see how Ten could justify the sale to Nine to its shareholders, let alone break even on it.

I believe the resale contract for both bids only covers 2 games a week in the premiership season (ie. you can't absolve yourself of your entire part in the contract I don't think), so would Ten then keep half the finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be a noob in all of this but whats the point in simultaneous broadcast over 2 channels? Wouldnt that be taking each others shares in ratings?

And would they have two networks at each game or they will just take the feed and show it on the other channel?

God I hope not! Trust me Nine will be as bad if not worse than Seven and there will still be no HD. Three things in all this:

1. Nine are more than happy for Foxtel to simulcast all games because that means Foxtel are putting up more $ which Nine actually don't have and they don't have the same money power they once did.

2. In reality the only interest Nine have in the AFL rights is to push the price up to basically try to protect their hold on the NRL rights and to perhaps even lower the $ for the NRL rights. The more Seven/Ten have to pay for AFL will potentially reduce what they can bid for NRL rights.

3. Whilst the NRL rights have a year or maybe two go run. I don't believe that it is in best interests of either code for the one network(s) to hold the rights to both and in my opinion it is actually worse for the AFL because NRL will always get priority in the northern states regardless of the use of multi channels. Let's be honest Nine have didn't make any attempts to use other channels whilst Seven moved tennis to 7Two when there were clashes with coverage of floods or for news commitments. The Nine "guarantee" that sport would still be in HD on Gem lasted maybe a month and nothing has since been shown in HD.

My personal opinion is that it is better the devil you know.

From a selfish point of view, my only desire is that all 9 games will be live each week, whether that be via free to air OR pay tv (victoria)

Is it at least looking like that would be the case regardless of who gets the rights? I had a read through some earlier posts but the simulcast stuff confused me.

Edit
After putting the bottle down for a minute and rereading those OP articles, it seems like foxtel will be showing all games live regardless?

Remove this Banner Ad

Could CH 9 end up with the Footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back