Could Jarryd Hayne switch codes successfully?

Remove this Banner Ad

All speculative, of course, but the Storm boys had/have the advantage of living in an AFL-immersed environment as well; Karmichael came from a State where footy has a good level of acceptability. Not so much for Izzy on both counts.

Well if you discount the couple of years Izzy had playing for the Storm

Karmichael Hunt played a bit of Aussie Rules when he was a kid

It's a bit late for a 25yo guy to try his hand at our code, but good luck to him if that's what he wants to do.

I'm pretty sure the Izzy Folau deal was a one-time only deal to help GWS gain a bit of publicity in their first season. Highly doubtful Hayne would get anywhere near what he can make playing league or union. He'd be on the basic wages in the AFL.

Won't happen

His manager is just trying to turn the screws on Parrammatta and pumping up his value

Agreed. I actually think any of the Storm 'big 3' would make solid players. Cronk and Smith both can kick fairly well (would need to adjust from bombing it to being more precise) and seem like good leaders and thinkers on the field. I feel that's a big part of where Izzy went wrong. In league all he had to do was catch ball, run ball over line. In AFL he had to do much more than that, especially in his ruck stints. The others mentioned would at least have some game sense about them and would adjust more quickly to how the game is played because they're used to making the play, unlike a guy like Izzy. That said though, they're all much too old to be picked up now. Would've been good a few years ago though.

If Cronk isn't the most precise kick currently in either the NRL/AFL I'd love to know who is. His kicking game is first class and critical to Melbourne's attacking game. If Cooper did cross over to Aussie Rules Dennis Cometti's could set his commentary to 'centimetre perfect' every time he'd get a kick.

If Cronk isn't the most precise kick currently in either the NRL/AFL I'd love to know who is. His kicking game is first class and critical to Melbourne's attacking game. If Cooper did cross over to Aussie Rules Dennis Cometti's could set his commentary to 'centimetre perfect' every time he'd get a kick.

Agree - Cronk and Slater would have no problems with the skills transition or the additional work. Otherwise it would need to be a younger player who has had some exposure to the game (which is increasingly possible in the NSW and the ACT).

He's a pretty useless lump of shit. Looks very athletic when you compare him to either his NRL team or NSW SOO team.

Hayne would be 28 by hte timehe was fit enough to play AFL, another year or 2 to really pick up skills. He could get some cash out of GWS I guess. He's quick and strong, but endurance, forget it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to get their head around the fact, it's the attitude of these players that matter, not the natural talent.

From all reports Hunt was a leader as soon as he walked through the door, has incredible drive and is a fantastic professional.

And he's still not completely there yet, and it took him about 3 years.

I remember hearing a quote from Folau saying the hardest thing to deal with at the start was the diet constraints, he went from eating KFC 4 times a week to being put on a 100% strict diet to try and keep his skin folds down and drop all the weight.

Rugby League players still down beers straight after the game FFS, it's a completely different level of fitness and professionalism required to make it in AFL, and most of them have no idea what they are in for when they make these sorts of comments.

Hayne would never make it, a 22 year old Billy Slater probably would, you need guys of the highest character and drive to attempt the switch, not guys looking for a bigger paycheck.

I would back a 28yr old Slater to do it. Guy would be a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Jarryd Hayne switch codes successfully?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back