Current Counting Mass Shootings * Two mass shootings by geriatric killers in California in two days 17 dead

Remove this Banner Ad

A man has fatally shot 10 people and injured at least 10 others at a ballroom dance venue during celebrations of the Chinese Lunar New Year near Los Angeles before fleeing the scene, police say.

The suspect is a 30–50-year-old Asian male and remains on the run, according to police.

Shooter.png

The sheriff's department said he was still unidentified but should be considered "armed and dangerous" and did not know whether the attack was racially motivated.

"We don't know if this is specifically a hate crime defined by law," Mr Luna said, "but who walks into a dance hall and guns down 20 people?".

Half the victims were male and the rest female, Mr Luna said. Their identities have not been made public.

Officials were investigating whether an incident at another dance club in the neighbouring city of Alhambra about 20 minutes later on Saturday night was connected with the massacre in Monterey Park.

At the second club, witnesses said an Asian man walked in holding a gun that patrons were able to grab. No one was shot and the man fled, Sheriff Luna said.

Monterey Park is a city of about 60,000 people that sits at the eastern edge of Los Angeles. The majority of its residents are Asian immigrants or their descendants, most of them Chinese.

Last edited:

Is this the first geratric mass shooter? He was 72yo!

Los Angeles police have confirmed a man found dead in a white cargo van was the suspect in a mass shooting which left 10 people dead and at least 10 injured following a Lunar New Year celebration.

Huu Can Tran, 72, was found inside the van at a shopping centre car park in the suburb of Torrance, about 45 kilometres from the shooting at Monterey Park.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said police heard a gunshot upon approaching the van.

So if the nutcases over there propose arming teachers to prevent school shootings, what's their proposal in this scenario?

I gather the second one was a disgruntled (ex?)-employee, but wonder what caused the first one to go off the deep end.

So if the nutcases over there propose arming teachers to prevent school shootings, what's their proposal in this scenario?

I gather the second one was a disgruntled (ex?)-employee, but wonder what caused the first one to go off the deep end.

The answer is always more guns. Anyone who's not armed should be armed. Teachers. Nurses. Children. All of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The answer is always more guns. Anyone who's not armed should be armed. Teachers. Nurses. Children. All of them.
Yep, always more guns. Because 'good' people with guns can kill/shoot 'bad' people with guns. Unfortunately, the perpetrators of continual mass shootings in the US make it harder and harder to tell the difference!

Seriously though, I can't ever see it changing. While the anti-gun lobby seems to be (slowly) gaining traction, the political will just isn't there at all.

Yep, always more guns. Because 'good' people with guns can kill/shoot 'bad' people with guns. Unfortunately, the perpetrators of continual mass shootings in the US make it harder and harder to tell the difference!

Seriously though, I can't ever see it changing. While the anti-gun lobby seems to be (slowly) gaining traction, the political will just isn't there at all.

We've seen how many mass shootings involving kids and schools now? If they were going to make a change, surely they've had ample reasons to do so.

Obviously a case where teachers should be armed, as per the gun lobby. That way, after her second warning to staff, she could have just blasted the kid!

Seriously, what sort of deranged mind gives any child access to a firearm? (Yes, I already know the answer!). :(

FndODiKacAEPucs

Biggest issue is cultural imo. If you're brought up believing owning a gun is a fundamental right (I could go off on a complete tangent about medical expenses in the US being sky high but no owning a gun is the god-given right but I won't), then it just breeds this sense of entitlement. Which seems ludicrous to me and I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling. A gun is a tool that is designed purely to maim and/or kill. If you want one, you better have a better reason than "I was born gimme gimme gimme." Unfortunately you can't have good faith discussions about reducing the number/range of firearms you can buy when gun entitlement is an entrenched part of so many places in America.

And in many ways the cat is out of the bag. There's just so many guns that sadly it's all too easy to get access to a gun and commit acts of violence like this. Australia's not totally free from it (either gun violence or attempts at mass violence by other means) but my god am I glad we have neither the culture nor the ease to get access to a gun and shoot up a public place if you're mad at the world.

An Asian man in his 70s just goes to show as well some of the root causes that lead people to do this sort of thing crosses any identity lines. Having a ridiculous amount of guns just makes it an easy option

We've seen how many mass shootings involving kids and schools now? If they were going to make a change, surely they've had ample reasons to do so.
Obama tried after Sandy Hook… sadly it’s a culture over there and it will never change they think having weapons is a good given right deapite all the carnage that it brings

How about the carnage created by alcohol?

Just throwing this out there. I'm an American who supports more restrictions on many types of firearms. I think hunters should be able to have small magazine rifles, shotguns and the like. Military grade should not be available to general public. There should be background checks and registration. Those types and there availability are a big part of the problem. But also I think people need more education, examples, leadership, whatever you want to call it, on how to solve problems. How to deal with emotional upheavals. Those kinds of self-help maybe need to be talked about more in public schools. Dealing with the world is tough. Many parents are distracted by it. Maybe schools can divert a little away from the 3 Rs to dealing with shit, or with social media, or other modern things.

It's insane. The shooter was 19 years old, responsible for two separate event shootings with a 9 year old as one of the victims.

• Another TV crew member and the young girl's mother were also wounded in the second shooting
  • Sheriff John Mina said authorities had not established a motive for the shooting
  • A 19-year-old has been charged over the earlier shooting, and is suspected of the later shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Counting Mass Shootings * Two mass shootings by geriatric killers in California in two days 17 dead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back