Country Music

Remove this Banner Ad

The origin of the term “stoned” dates back to biblical times, when sinners were pelted with stones as a form of punishment (as per Monty Pythons Life Of Brian). In the 1920s and 1930s, people started using “stoned” or “stone drunk” as slang for people who were heavily under the influence of alcohol. But this changed to the effects of cannabis in the 1950's, so Bob Dylan's 'Rainy Day Women #12 & 35' (in the mid-sixties, a “rainy-day woman” was a slang term for a marijuana cigarette), it was clear what he meant by stoned -
I seem to recall Dean Martin (on his show) introducing the Rolling Stones for a song and stating, "I've been rolled when I was stoned" which had me thinking it was still a grog related impairment.

The origin of the term “stoned” dates back to biblical times, when sinners were pelted with stones as a form of punishment (as per Monty Pythons Life Of Brian). In the 1920s and 1930s, people started using “stoned” or “stone drunk” as slang for people who were heavily under the influence of alcohol. But this changed to the effects of cannabis in the 1950's, so Bob Dylan's 'Rainy Day Women #12 & 35' (in the mid-sixties, a “rainy-day woman” was a slang term for a marijuana cigarette), it was clear what he meant by stoned -
Lol for so Long I thought rainy day women was another word for a mistress

Actually, by the time Waylon came out with his 'Rainy Day Woman' in the mid 70's, he most probably was literally meaning it as a woman he sees when feeling blue - but the lyrics could work either way.
Thats what I thought as Waylon wasn’t a pot man. Perhaps his version of a “rainy say woman” is a big brick of peruvian booga sugar

Remove this Banner Ad

Country Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back