COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering if I can delay my NBN 'upgrade' from cable as I need net to work from home.

Those worrying about the capacity of the system, worry not. Dutton is just looking for an excuse to lock out PRON.

(that might be the next panic buy)

So, let me get this straight. The govt are telling me to avoid family gatherings but are happy for me to spend 5 hours a day in close contact with a class of 30 kids? (Not to mention the other 600+ kids at our school)
Yep, because if the kids are at home then their medical professional parents will need to stay home to supervise them.

I’m so devastated. I have been counting down the days to round 1. I also had tickets to round 2 in Perth and was going to make a holiday out of it. I know it’s for the better, but it angers me so much that China have started a virus that has ruined our great game. I feel empty

I’m so devastated. I have been counting down the days to round 1. I also had tickets to round 2 in Perth and was going to make a holiday out of it. I know it’s for the better, but it angers me so much that China have started a virus that has ruined our great game. I feel empty
Me too. I can't get excited at all about this season. Flat as. Never felt this way about footy before. It's almost as if I don't care anymore. Never thought I'd say that about the game.

Maybe you should take this time to re evaluate your priorities.
Being angry at a country because because an illness has been traced back to it and you're going to miss out on watching some sport for a few months.
I mean people are dying and more will but yeah it's all about your footy. let's hate on an entire country because you can't watch footy.

Me too. I can't get excited at all about this season. Flat as. Never felt this way about footy before. It's almost as if I don't care anymore. Never thought I'd say that about the game.

I’ve been waiting for this season to start basically since our season was pretty much over half way through last season. I know we got close to finals in the end but we never really looked like it. I was convinced Cogs was coming our way, look at my username. I was devastated that he stayed at GWS. I moved on and have been counting down the days to Round 1 basically since the fixture came out. I booked flights to Perth and couldn’t wait to go to Optus Stadium for the first time. We were looking good heading into the season and each day I would get more excited about the season. I was so optimistic and then this happened. I’m not excited about the season anymore, it’s hard to be knowing this season will be a complete mess. Little did we all know while we were at Roughy’s farewell game that we might won’t be able to go to a game in 2020....

Last edited:
Being angry at a country because because an illness has been traced back to it and you're going to miss out on watching some sport for a few months.
I mean people are dying and more will but yeah it's all about your footy. let's hate on an entire country because you can't watch footy.

People are dying all the time and yes that is concerning but more ppl have died this year in Victoria when trees have fallen on their cars than in all of Australia from Corona virus.

We have a PM who delayed banning events with more than 500 ppl so he could attend a rugby game but more importantly a hillsong conference/service. He apparently has been in contact with the virus via dutton but refuses to be tested or self isolate as he expects others 2 do.

Simply put I smell a rat. Yes not a bat.

But I agree don't blame the Chinese, blame their government perhaps, blame our dodgy government too. But don't blame the average person who happens 2 live in either country.

Yeah you’re right, I probably shouldn’t look at it that way. And the health of myself and others is my main priority. However, I don’t know how I can cope a year without footy. It will be tough times hopefully we all get through this and get to watch our hawks at some stage this year

I wonder if it's logistically viable for players (and key staff) to be tested for the virus a day or so before each game, and if they are clear they are free to play. If not they get sent to proverbial Christmas Island until it clears their system.
I doubt it could happen
1) tests are taking approx 4 days to return a result
2) you’d be looking at probably 1000 tests per week at a time when we are struggling to test those who actually need it

People are dying all the time and yes that is concerning but more ppl have died this year in Victoria when trees have fallen on their cars than in all of Australia from Corona virus.

We have a PM who delayed banning events with more than 500 ppl so he could attend a rugby game but more importantly a hillsong conference/service. He apparently has been in contact with the virus via dutton but refuses to be tested or self isolate as he expects others 2 do.

Simply put I smell a rat. Yes not a bat.

But I agree don't blame the Chinese, blame their government perhaps, blame our dodgy government too. But don't blame the average person who happens 2 live in either country.
He didn't go to the rugby in the end

Yeah you’re right, I probably shouldn’t look at it that way. And the health of myself and others is my main priority. However, I don’t know how I can cope a year without footy. It will be tough times hopefully we all get through this and get to watch our hawks at some stage this year
Getting past this is definitely something to look forward to

I wonder if it's logistically viable for players (and key staff) to be tested for the virus a day or so before each game, and if they are clear they are free to play. If not they get sent to proverbial Christmas Island until it clears their system.
We don't have the ability to test everyone we should. It would be a terrible idea to divert resources to keeping the footy going vs looking after the general public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They ignored clear warnings and advice as far back as a few weeks.

The GP was a monumental stuff up and then you have the PM announcing he is still going to the 'footy' a few hours after being given clear instruction on how detrimental that could be.🤦‍♂️

Just to add salt into your wound China is coming out the other side of this now and a slow trickle of normality has begun there. Mass populations had been quarantined for 6 weeks. They really went hard on preventive measures to avoid it wiping out the whole Country and it's clearly worked. Other countries should be following suit but governments seem too reluctant to harm their economies and are now paying the price.

It is changing all of the time, but a friend i have inside the state government told me today that Week 5 of the season is expected to be the suspension point of the season.

That's what they predict.

I doubt it could happen
1) tests are taking approx 4 days to return a result
2) you’d be looking at probably 1000 tests per week at a time when we are struggling to test those who actually need it
Dutton's test was turned over in around 24 hours. Given the number of players it's probably not viable but it may be possible if enough money is thrown at it. As I understand, there is currently a shortage of the chemicals required to conduct the tests. Of course, prioritising professional sportsmen (of various codes) over those who are in genuine need of testing raises moral issues, not that it would stop the AFL (or NRL etc) if it meant they got to keep their broadcast money.

Dutton's test was turned over in around 24 hours. Given the number of players it's probably not viable but it may be possible if enough money is thrown at it. As I understand, there is currently a shortage of the chemicals required to conduct the tests. Of course, prioritising professional sportsmen (of various codes) over those who are in genuine need of testing raises moral issues, not that it would stop the AFL (or NRL etc) if it meant they got to keep their broadcast money.
I really doubt that the Dut’s test was turned over in 24hrs.
We would not of heard he was being tested until well after he was tested. All governments control the narrative, all governments decide what we are told & when
He may well have been given priority with his testing & results but no government is ever going to give that to a sporting code.
My 1000 per week estimate would be conservative too
It’s a great idea, but will never happen

And that’s not even the point. It’s the fact they covered it up for 2 months!

Could have been well contained by now.

He didn't go to the rugby in the end

Getting past this is definitely something to look forward to

We don't have the ability to test everyone we should. It would be a terrible idea to divert resources to keeping the footy going vs looking after the general public.
Mate, love you and your posting. But the fact is this could have been controlled if China announced it immediately.

they didn’t. Now the rest of the world will suffer.

Do you actually disagree with this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back