Cox's Football Nous

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox was the big positive we can take out of today's match! Showed some really nice poise in the contest, positioned himself well for the most part in ruck and general contests, and smashed his big frame into anyone that got in his way in marking contests.

I'm comfortable to state for the record I think that big Cox is going to make it in AFL. I think he has the ability to get to 100 games in AFL from what I've seen so far.

In fact, let's hope big Cox is already shacked up with a fine young lass and will procreate in the future!

I know I'm crystal balling a fair bit here, but imagine his progeny being selected as a father/son for the black & white 20 odd years from now. It would be quite an incredible story for the AFL and for Collingwood!

Massive upside to the big Seppo.

If this is what he can do after only coupla years in the game, imagine what he'll be like in 5.

He just seems to "get it". There were times on Sunday when it appeared as if his mind was way ahead of his current capabilities.

Just keep playing him and the rest will come

Very encouraging start to his career, a real highlight in an otherwise disappointing start to the season.

Will continue to add bulk to his frame, could become a real marking weapon in the forward line.

What does it say about our squad when you watch Cox in his second game of footy at this level and he shows more poise and commonsense in his decision making than 90% of our list?
I don't know whether it is scary, sad or laughable.
he never learnt bad habits and went straight into a professional environment :p but I hear you :)

Cox was the big positive we can take out of today's match! Showed some really nice poise in the contest, positioned himself well for the most part in ruck and general contests, and smashed his big frame into anyone that got in his way in marking contests.

I'm comfortable to state for the record I think that big Cox is going to make it in AFL. I think he has the ability to get to 100 games in AFL from what I've seen so far.

In fact, let's hope big Cox is already shacked up with a fine young lass and will procreate in the future!

I know I'm crystal balling a fair bit here, but imagine his progeny being selected as a father/son for the black & white 20 odd years from now. It would be quite an incredible story for the AFL and for Collingwood!

I recommend get him to 100 games and put him out to stud with Serena Williams. Those genes could produce something special.

What does it say about our squad when you watch Cox in his second game of footy at this level and he shows more poise and commonsense in his decision making than 90% of our list?
I don't know whether it is scary, sad or laughable.
I'd go fantastic.
You're right he shows a lot of nous.

I'd suggest he's naturally intelligent, and then studied or really tried to "understand" football.
He's likely naturally adept at ball sports and ball sport smarts.
Most importantly he hadn't been taught bad habits which many of us can carry from child football.

It's fantastic but he might be one out of the box, footy smart wise.
Good on him.

(As an aside we can't attribute any of his development to the Club and especially not the coach, that's just not allowed ;) because they do nothing right, never have never will)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd go fantastic.
You're right he shows a lot of nous.

I'd suggest he's naturally intelligent, and then studied or really tried to "understand" football.
He's likely naturally adept at ball sports and ball sport smarts.
Most importantly he hadn't been taught bad habits which many of us can carry from child football.

It's fantastic but he might be one out of the box, footy smart wise.
Good on him.

(As an aside we can't attribute any of his development to the Club and especially not the coach, that's just not allowed ;) because they do nothing right, never have never will)
I just wonder why those smarts have not been passed on to the rest of the team by the coaching staff!

I just wonder why those smarts have not been passed on to the rest of the team by the coaching staff!
Old habits die hard.
Besides if Mason was an Aussie playing as he had he'd be roasted on here anyway by some.

But he's just an intelligent guy

It wasn't just his athleticism and footy smarts (that run in board and handball inside was impressive) that stood out for me, but his effort. He really tried his arse off and didn't let himself get bullied. It's also the second time this year we have seen him worry and out point seriously good defenders in passages of play, Taylor in the NAB cup and McGovern yesterday who gave away a free for bodying up instead of attempting a mark. This from the best intercept mark in the competition. We've found a special player here.

I love his awareness. When in traffic he doesn't blaze away, he takes his time to pick the right option, and like another certain ex-basketballer on our list, he hasn't looked like getting caught.
Quite right there. They seem to be able to make space when guys like Greenwood and De Goey are panicking and turning it over with undisciplined hand balls or kicks.

Honestly, Greenwood in particular should be ashamed of his disposal in pretty much every game this season. If Cox can show poise and good skills under pressure in his 2nd game then Levi needs to start considering another career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox's Football Nous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back