Cracking game of Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooney Could have sealed that match 3 times and missed 3 reasonably easy shots. Hes not what he was before doing his ACL IMO...
When did that happen? :confused:

Otherwise good point needs to kick straighter

Great game, loved it. Fish'n'chips and a couple of beers, good way to spend an evening in. Thought the scoreboard reflected the contest acurately, but good to see the Dogs really pull through and challenge in the end when it looked like Freo were going to blow it out.

That said...what was Grover thinking in the last with Freo sitting on a 20pt lead, he gives away 2 obvious holding frees in all of 90 seconds, and both at 3 on 1s in Freo's favour where his player was only a small chance to influence the contest - gave the Dogs a real lift all on his own...such an experienced player just shouldn't be up to that sort of malarkey!

As good and as intense as any final. That win will mean a lot to Freo come finals time.

Couple of bad mistakes by Dogs players in the last 3 minutes really cost them the game. Cooney missing, Roughead falling over in a contest allowing 3 Dockers to run off with the ball led to Bradleys goal and then Murphy kicking out on the full with a minute left. Only have themselves to blame for losing that one.

Going to an Eagles game seems like a visit to the old folk's home at times. Hopefully with a new stadium the younger generation will get a chance to go to games.
What does a new stadium have to do with it?
Freo joined the comp only 7 years after you did, so I'm not sure it's a generation problem. Their members would have similar demographics to your members.

Got to say i enjoyed the game immensley, was a cracking match.

As for the comment that lots of close games this year, the simple reason for that is that every coach coaches to defend first and foremost, you could almost say forward plans from coaches now would hardly be even mentioned.

The old soccer statement I think apply's to AFL now, don't know where we will kick goals but if we keep the opposition to 1 then we only need to find 2.

Makes for close games and the crowds love it, is it good football???.................

Some one will beat the press and when they do the cycle will change again, it always seems to happen (or the rules committee will bring in netball type rules).

On the game it was probably the most I have enjoyed a neutral game this year. I like watching Freo play plenty of good kids and some class. Tough for the dogs but considering their soft opening a decent performance and enough to show that they will be around the mark again this year I would have thought.

Fyfe will be the best player in the AFL for many, many years. Unbelievable to think this is his 2nd year.

Gun.

I couldn't agree more, my favourite player outside Essendon to watch. Reminds me of Hird the way he plays taller than what he is, and just finds a bit of space and always looks to have a bit more time than pretty much every other player on the field.

There's something about Freo games at Subi, they always look crazy when you're watching them on TV. Seems like the crowd creates a pretty wild atmosphere there.

Was thinking the same thing. You just don't see the crowd going as berzerk at Eagles games, unless it's a derby.

Some club's supporters feel they're part of the contest and try to influence it. Others are just there to passively watch some theatre. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide which WA team falls in which category.

Our crowd copped some stick on the Roos board last week for being irrationally one-eyed, but that's exactly what a good home crowd does imo. It's not cricket - we aren't there to acknowledge good play from the opposition or to nod our assent to correct umpiring calls even if they go against us. We're there to create an intimidating atmosphere to help our team win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo joined the comp only 7 years after you did, so I'm not sure it's a generation problem. Their members would have similar demographics to your members.

A lot of Eagles members have been on board since 1987 and a lot of Subi is reserved seating. The same people who were old in 1987 are still sitting in the same seats in 2011.

New stadium = more seating = opportunity for younger members to get into games.

Youngsters / teens can still become members of freo and get a seat at the game. New Eagles members haven't been able to get in since 2000 so they are 50+ year old whingers.

Anyway, it was a cracking finish to the game, i wouldn't say a great game all the way through, some of the play was laughable. Was out of my seat when bradley was playing with the ball on the goal line

Cracking last 15 minutes, the rest of the game was horrible.

There was a bad patch in the 3rd when no one from either team could pick up the ball without fumbling, but I thought the first half was a pretty cracking contest.

If you thought that game was horrible you mustn't enjoy many footy games.

It is a generation problem.

I have sat in the same seat for nearly 20 yrs and so has the 50 people around me. Nobody releases their memberships because if you do, you wont be able to go to a game.

What was a crazy 30 yr old man when I first started going to games is now a 50yr old grandfather who doesnt give a yelp. Until you get big groups of mates or younger people who have been on the membership waiting list for 10yrs going to games then its only going to get worse.

solution - new stadium.

Going to an Eagles game seems like a visit to the old folk's home at times. Hopefully with a new stadium the younger generation will get a chance to go to games.

Thats likely close to what it is. There are allot of old grannies with Eagle memberships that wont give them up any time soon.

It was a great game, I thought the Bulldogs had it towards the end. Fremantle have constantly showed over the last two years that they are a very very good side.

They could be a premiership side next year.

Most of the seats go to ticketed members.

A looooooooot of these are older types. New stadium, cheaper memberships and more new memberships+general admission tickets available so hopefully we get a younger crowd.

Some club's supporters feel they're part of the contest and try to influence it. Others are just there to passively watch some theatre. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide which WA team falls in which category.
Won't shirk the chance to drop a few miss-truths in the hopes of landing a cheap shot hey Esti.;)

If only your young man Hill had the same hunger for the contest.

C'mon mate, credit where it's due. You can only play as good as your opposition lets you. On this score, the Doggies were 'out-hearted' by Freo.

Heart had nothing to do with the result. Is every game a matter of heart?

Won't shirk the chance to drop a few miss-truths in the chance of landing a cheap shot hey Esti.;)

Hey I made no definitive statement either way.

It was up to the reader to draw their own conclusions... and I can see which conclusion you drew about your own crowd. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cracking game of Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back