Cricinfo All-time XI: Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Ponting > Border
Woodful > Ponsford

It's always going to be a hard debate regardless of how you do it but, how some can even try and put Border & Waugh in front of Ponting & Chappell is amazing. Chappell & Ponting are brilliant stroke makers against all bowling, were as Border and Waugh were more fighters.

The bowlers pick themselves. Older bowlers had a lot of favours from uncovered pitches, especially the quicks. Two spinners who can spin it as far as O'rielly & Warne will never have a problem on any surface.

My other beef is Ponsford v Woodfull. Ponsford always gets thrown up as a contender for the all-time XI - Woodfulll never.

They played about the same time, (Ponsford test debut in 24/25 - Woodfull in '26 - both retired after '34).

Ponsford averaged 48 - Woodfull 46. Both hit 7 centuries. Woodfull's centuries were always as an opener, Ponsford made a couple from No. 4.

It seems much of the reverence for Ponsford comes from his ability to make huge scores - his 2 big partnerships with Bradman (2 of his last 3 innings in test cricket) in particular. In those 2 innings he made 20% of his total test runs! So Woodfull was more consistent.

In first class cricket, Ponsford hit 47 centuries, Woodfull 49 (both played for Vic, so played the same opponents). Ponsford averaged 65.18, Woodfull 64.99. Their records are virtually identical across the board - innings, runs, catches. They played 162 and 174 matches. Woodfull took 1 first-class wicket - Ponsford didn't.
The only significant differences are - Ponsfords ability to make big scores (4 over 300), and Woodfull was the one made captain.

I think Woodfull is severely under-rated - He played in the eras of the two greatest 'big-innings' batsmen of all time - Ponsford and Bradman - so there were no headlines left over for him.

Great post, and very interesting to read.

But you kind of defeat your own argument, or perhaps answer your own question, with the bolded section above. What separates these two great batters almost identical records is Ponsford's ability to make monumental scores. Few batsman, even great ones, can post 200 and 300 plus scores four times in a career. I guess that is why Ponsford gets the nod ahead of Woodfull.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricinfo All-time XI: Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back