Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Brook has gone the slog. At lunch it was

• Lunch: England - 658/3 in 130.0 overs (JE Root 259, HC Brook 218)
And
  • HC Brook: 200 off 245 balls (18 x 4, 1 x 6)
  • HC Brook: 300 off 310 balls (28 x 4, 3 x 6)

Brook has gone the slog. At lunch it was

• Lunch: England - 658/3 in 130.0 overs (JE Root 259, HC Brook 218)
And
  • HC Brook: 200 off 245 balls (18 x 4, 1 x 6)
  • HC Brook: 300 off 310 balls (28 x 4, 3 x 6)
Has a player ever scored a double century in a session? I reckon Brook is a chance.

Has a player ever scored a double century in a session? I reckon Brook is a chance.
Most runs in a session is 173 by Denis Compton (England) against Pakistan in 1954 at Trent Bridge.

Next highest is 150 by Walter Hammand (England) at Eden Park against New Zealand in 1903. 140 for Ian Smith (NZ) againts India at Eden Park in 1990 and then 139 for Nathan Astle against England on AMI Stadium in 2002 are next best.

Best by an Aussie is Victor Trumper with 133 at the MCG against South Africa in 1910

Walter Hammond's 150 was scored in the second session, he scored 111 in the first session. Ended up on 336*.

Only three players have scored 100+ in two sessions in a row. That Walter Hammond innings, Don Bradman (105 and 115) on the way to 334 and Matthew Hayden (105 and 107) on the way to 380 against Zimbabwe at the WACA.

A lot of records, and top 5 type list efforts - either world and England records were set yesterday in Pakistan yesterday.

These two videos on twitter by Wisden and BBC's Test Match Special I think capture them all.

That Wisden video that said spare a thought for Ollie Pope who got a duck and poms made 7/823 which is now the 4th highest test score, reminded me that when Australia made 8/758 in 1955 in Kingston Jamaica, which was then the 3rd highest ever total and is now 9th, Les Favell made a duck, Arthur Morris made a single figure score, and 5 Aussies made a ton and that is the equal highest number of centuries in a Test innings.

The scorecard link below shows that Les Favell made 0 and Arthur Morris batting at #3 made 7 and Oz was 2 for 7, chasing the Windies 357. Then opener McDonald makes 127, Harvey at #4 204, Miller at #5 109, Archer at #6 128, and Richie Benaud at #8 made 121 in only 96 minutes with 18 x 4's and 2 x 6's.

When I was in my youth listening to shield games and test games at Adelaide Oval on ABC radio, Les Favell mentioned it several times how he and Arthur Morris missed out, and I reckon a couple of times some cruel wags reminded Les about it when a score of over 500 was scored at Adelaide Oval, and some early order batsman made a duck.

The other Test where there were 5 centurions in an innings, was at this ground in Multan that the poms have dominate at, where Pakistan did it against Bangladesh in 2001 which was only their 4th Test match. Pretty amazing that in a score of 3/546, 5 players scored a century, including Inzamam-Ul-Haq who retired hurt on 105. One player was out for 9.

24 times there have been 4 players make a century in a Test innings.

It should be 25, but in 1993 v poms, 2nd test at Lord's, after Taylor, Slater and Boon had made a century, Mark Waugh at #4 played a really slack, lazy shot, as was Mark's all too often way of getting out and was bowled by Phil Tuffnell on 99. It would have been the first and only occasion in Test cricket the first 4 batsman had made a century.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Wisden video that said spare a thought for Ollie Pope who got a duck and poms made 7/823 which is now the 4th highest test score, reminded me that when Australia made 8/758 in 1955 in Kingston Jamaica, which was then the 3rd highest ever total and is now 9th, Les Favell made a duck, Arthur Morris made a single figure score, and 5 Aussies made a ton and that is the equal highest number of centuries in a Test innings.

The scorecard link below shows that Les Favell made 0 and Arthur Morris batting at #3 made 7 and Oz was 2 for 7, chasing the Windies 357. Then opener McDonald makes 127, Harvey at #4 204, Miller at #5 109, Archer at #6 128, and Richie Benaud at #8 made 121 in only 96 minutes with 18 x 4's and 2 x 6's.

When I was in my youth listening to shield games and test games at Adelaide Oval on ABC radio, Les Favell mentioned it several times how he and Arthur Morris missed out, and I reckon a couple of times some cruel wags reminded Les about it when a score of over 500 was scored at Adelaide Oval, and some early order batsman made a duck.

The other Test where there were 5 centurions in an innings, was at this ground in Multan that the poms have dominate at, where Pakistan did it against Bangladesh in 2001 which was only their 4th Test match. Pretty amazing that in a score of 3/546, 5 players scored a century, including Inzamam-Ul-Haq who retired hurt on 105. One player was out for 9.

24 times there have been 4 players make a century in a Test innings.

It should be 25, but in 1993 v poms, 2nd test at Lord's, after Taylor, Slater and Boon had made a century, Mark Waugh at #4 played a really slack, lazy shot, as was Mark's all too often way of getting out and was bowled by Phil Tuffnell on 99. It would have been the first and only occasion in Test cricket the first 4 batsman had made a century.

That's nothing - 6 Pakistanis scored a century in the England innings LOL.

LOL and you had a go at me yesterday for mozzing Brook - 6 for 20 incoming :).
Carey out for 111. It has begun.

McSweeney and Drew need a 150 partnership minimum. The tail might be able to slog a few at the end, but not putting any faith in the team. Pity Head couldn't read Lyon, might've been a chance otherwise.

Edit: Need to make 160 in a session. They'll need to go down swinging!

Last edited:
First time a Test side has made 500 in the first innings and lost by an Innings + x runs.

Apparently in the McCullum era every time England has conceded 500 in the first innings they've won the test. I don't know if that was just someone being a smart arse and this is the only time, but it was a comment on Cricinfo.

Australia allrounder Cameron Green has opted to go under the knife for surgery on his back after scans found a "unique" issue that was exacerbating his back injury.
The surgery will rule him out of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy Test series with India, with an expected recovery time of six months that would also puts him out of February's Test tour of Sri Lanka and the ICC Champions Trophy tournament, as well as casting doubt on his availability for the next Indian Premier League season.

Australia allrounder Cameron Green has opted to go under the knife for surgery on his back after scans found a "unique" issue that was exacerbating his back injury.
The surgery will rule him out of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy Test series with India, with an expected recovery time of six months that would also puts him out of February's Test tour of Sri Lanka and the ICC Champions Trophy tournament, as well as casting doubt on his availability for the next Indian Premier League season.
Neser and Webster are in the A squad, probably the next best thing to an allrounder. Also in the squad is Connelly who bats but can bowl a bit and McAndrew/Murphy who bowl but can bat a bit.

But I'd say the short term fix will be going back to the well with Renshaw/Harris/Bancroft/Handscomb. Or the NSW kid no-one had heard of until the other day.

Australia's 14-player squad that was named today does not include either Travis Head or Mitch Marsh, who both miss the series on paternity leave, opening the door for Fraser-McGurk and Matt Short to open the batting together. The expected Test front-line pace attack of Pat Cummins, who will captain Australia's ODI team for the first time since lifting the 2023 ODI World Cup.
Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood have all been named, along with batters Steve Smith and Marnus Labuschagne.

Australia ODI squad: Pat Cummins (c), Sean Abbott, Cooper Connolly, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Aaron Hardie, Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Marnus Labuschagne, Glenn Maxwell, Matthew Short, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back