Test Cricket Draft 1970-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

• No more than 2 players for any given country
  • Debut AFTER 1970
  • Must select one player from each decade with at least 10 matches played (Exception if debut is in the 2020s)
  • Must pick a team to suit the ground
  • Players must not have played in the same team
  • Must choose at least one player from all of the following countries
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • England
    • Pakistan
    • India
    • Sri Lanka
    • West Indies
    • South Africa
    • Zimbabwe
    • Bangladesh
From 7 am to 11pm you have 8 hours to select a player. If you miss you can make up later.
If you know you're going to be busy please send a pick to someone who's behind you, or myself and I won't read it unless I have to.
If you do come online, please submit your pick before leaving so we can keep the game rolling.

Last edited:

DOH!

My following has been poor here.

Anyway.

JOEL GARNER.

eth-dog.

Order​
The Thousand Sunnies​
1​
2​
3​
4​
Jacques Kallis​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
11​
12th man​
Kallis' record stacks up with literally everyone else of this era. Not only a brilliant bat in his own right, being third in all time test runs with over 13,000 runs at an average of 55.37 (second highest to achieve 10k runs), with 45 hundreds (second to Tendulkar), he also has nearly 300 test wickets at an average of 32. He's an unbelievable player and I'm gobsmacked he didn't go top 5, let alone lasting to me.

This. At absolute WORST, IMO, he’s behind Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Sangakarra and Smith in the last 35 years. Level with Dravid if you wanted to be picky. But when you add circumstance like pitches - seriously some of the flyers they played on with regularity there, the pitches he did well on away, the attacks he did well against, and the fact that contrary to belief (that he was selfish) he probably played within himself to be that anchor with guys like Gibbs, Amla, De Villiers, Smith etc who tended to be the aggressors when realistically Kallis himself could easily have assumed that role - you could make an argument that he’s better than some. Perhaps he just doesn’t have the signature knocks that the others do which counts against him.

But then you factor in nearly 300 wickets and suddenly you think we’ll hang on, this guy is a freak… and then on top of that you think if he didn’t play for a team so perpetually strong in pace bowling, just how many wickets would he have taken: because anyone who watched him bowl knows just how effective a first change-type bowler he would have been, and honestly he could have taken 400+ in a canter, at less than 30.

If Kallis played for NZ to me he finishes with 13,000 at 55 and takes 400 at 28-29, assuming they get roughly as many tests as SA.

This. At absolute WORST, IMO, he’s behind Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Sangakarra and Smith in the last 35 years. Level with Dravid if you wanted to be picky. But when you add circumstance like pitches - seriously some of the flyers they played on with regularity there, the pitches he did well on away, the attacks he did well against, and the fact that contrary to belief (that he was selfish) he probably played within himself to be that anchor with guys like Gibbs, Amla, De Villiers, Smith etc who tended to be the aggressors when realistically Kallis himself could easily have assumed that role - you could make an argument that he’s better than some. Perhaps he just doesn’t have the signature knocks that the others do which counts against him.

But then you factor in nearly 300 wickets and suddenly you think we’ll hang on, this guy is a freak… and then on top of that you think if he didn’t play for a team so perpetually strong in pace bowling, just how many wickets would he have taken: because anyone who watched him bowl knows just how effective a first change-type bowler he would have been, and honestly he could have taken 400+ in a canter, at less than 30.

If Kallis played for NZ to me he finishes with 13,000 at 55 and takes 400 at 28-29, assuming they get roughly as many tests as SA.
In a stronger side he bowls less though.

I'm to the belief that all rounders in an exercise like this would have less emphasis on bowling. I mean if you lined up Stuart Broad, Glenn McGrath, Warne, and others I won't mention until I've picked them then he won't need to be bowled as often.

In a stronger side he bowls less though.

I'm to the belief that all rounders in an exercise like this would have less emphasis on bowling. I mean if you lined up Stuart Broad, Glenn McGrath, Warne, and others I won't mention until I've picked them then he won't need to be bowled as often.

What do you mean in a stronger side he bowls less, though?

Across the duration of his career, you would say that a summation would suggest that he spent it in the second best team.

So yeah if he played for Australia with McGrath, Gillespie, Warne, Lee he bowls less - marginally because for a lot of the time he played against that side SA weren’t far off - but the fact is whether he bowls less in the lone side better than SA or not, circumstance dictates that there’s another half dozen sides in which he would have taken a volume of wickets that put Ashwin and Jadeja etc to shame

What do you mean in a stronger side he bowls less, though?

Across the duration of his career, you would say that a summation would suggest that he spent it in the second best team.

So yeah if he played for Australia with McGrath, Gillespie, Warne, Lee he bowls less - marginally because for a lot of the time he played against that side SA weren’t far off - but the fact is whether he bowls less in the lone side better than SA or not, circumstance dictates that there’s another half dozen sides in which he would have taken a volume of wickets that put Ashwin and Jadeja etc to shame
fair call. Just something to think about when looking at all rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as a neutral observer….
Not sure what his strike rate was in the role but as a wicketkeeper, AB de Villiers averaged 10 more than Adam Gilchrist with the bat fwiw

For me, longevity matters. It’s partly why I rate Kallis so highly.

Wicket keeping is probably the most physically demanding role. Gilly did it for nearly a decade, while also averaging 47.

Sanga was a phenomenal player. But when he took the gloves his run scoring dipped.

AB’s did not, but he only kept for 30 or so tests I believe.

No one has done what Gilly did for as long as he did.

I assume if you plan on using him as keeper you’ll be considering him a 40 average guy?
He won't be my keeper haha. I'm considering him my the guy averaging 60+ at 3 without the gloves

Remove this Banner Ad

Test Cricket Draft 1970-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back