Cruize Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, I agree with that and i've recognised that over the last 3 years also. Dispite the clearances it's midfield ascendancy through versatility we're yet to fully achieve. I just believe it's short-sighted to eliminate someone from our midfield calculations purely because of height if they're a proven clearance winner.

I'll overlook the tragic spelling and simply say, is he?

The kid cant crack a game at North Melbourne, a side which has finished outside the top 8 since his arrival.

There are mountains of clearance players roaming around at lower levels, there is a reason few short people crack a spot in starting centre sqaure line ups.

He's no chance at Freo.

Remember seeing him live earlier in the year when we played North, IIRC he was used as the sub and picked up about 10 disposals in the last quarter, used it pretty well and had good speed.

I recall North fans at the start of the year rating him very highly but clearly something is wrong if he can't crack a game for them, despite their relatively good form recently.

If we can get him cheaply then yes by all means, if not then I wouldn't lose sleep over not getting him.

Tragic spelling? Am I missing something? You're better than to derail a decent discussion to take the form of a grammer nazi aren't you double G?

And for what it's worth (and I know you soak up the BF rumour drivel) there were rumblings that his card has been stamped irrespective of his VFL performances. For what it's worth I tend to believe it to be somewhat partially true, particularly given the fact that he has no real glaring deficiencies (none moreso than Schammer anyway..) Alas, his height not faring well with our list managers will most likely see him not given a look in.

In many respects i agree with GG, the game is becoming a tall midfield game, and if you look at the best midfields of carlton with judd, gibbs, murphy or collingwood with pendlebury and swan, they are generally taller sorts of players.

however, garlett has skills, he would come cheaply, im not sure what his work ethic is like, but i would suggest he would offer more than walters, and schammer, both of whom are smaller. interesting debate, i guess a lot depends on who is available at the trade table/draft, and where the club feels we are deficient. i think another back pocket/forward pocket is required, so maybe garlett could fill that role, with bursts in the middle

Walters and Schammer are 3cm and 2cm taller than Garlett respectively.

are they? :eek: misread that then. either way though i believe if schammer had good skills he would be in our 22. If garlett is schammer with skills id look at that. If garlett is like walters but with a work ethic i would look at that as well.

Interesting debate, have not seen Cruize play but re the short midfielders what about Sam Mitchell. Not tall but a good clearance mid what is the comparison there?

Offtopic a bit there was a bloke on PR who claimed he was mates with Geoff Garletts Dad and that was looking to be traded back to WA but cannot see that happening as we would be probably loading up for O'Meara.

Presently as far as replacement mids go to replace DeBoer and Palmer in the WAFL on the weekend we have Schammer clearly best with 29 touches for Claremont and after that well Bucovaz (only maybe a mid) well behind, and Pitt had a terrible game with only 10 touches. Not sure about JVB or Hinkley if they played.

I watch a fair bit of VFL. Seen him a few times

Not AFL standard imho, by a reasonable margin. Just not enough special about him

I'll overlook the tragic spelling and simply say, is he?

The kid cant crack a game at North Melbourne, a side which has finished outside the top 8 since his arrival.

There are mountains of clearance players roaming around at lower levels, there is a reason few short people crack a spot in starting centre sqaure line ups.

He's no chance at Freo.

Come on Gordon. You're omitting the fact the North have a ton of inside midfielders and Cruize is at the end of a long line of very good ones.

Regardless of where they are on the ladder, they still have a number of good inside midfielders and Cruize doesn't add anything to the mix that they don't already have.

We are short on inside mids. Maybe Cruize isn't the right player, and we can do better, but the argument that he's not worth bothering with because he can't get a game for North isn't a particularly good one.

I don't mind plonking Garlett on the list as a backup option if it costs us next to nothing. But I seem to recall it might be hard clearing space on our list, unless we delist a few players that we should maybe give more time to.

I have to say I think Garlett is too small and slow to make it at AFL level. I've read that North fans said his work ethic was questionable and his fitness wasn't up to AFL standard. Also his defensive pressure was not good enough. I think Walters will struggle for similar reasons, although Walters has a much better kick.

To make it at their height, they have to have some exceptional part to their game. Garlett is just a bland player with no standouts.

Realistically, there are only a few short people running around who are any good. Harvey springs to mind, but he has explosive pace and is a freak. Kerr (in his prime) and Rodan also, but they have great pace/evasive skills off the mark. Rioli is quite small, but he has that explosive pace and tackling pressure, and just freakish ability to do the spectacular.

Mitchell is an interesting one in that he is not very quick nor has elite disposal (although it is OK), but he is 179cm ... those extra 5cm are quite a big difference to Garlett.

We need to worry about everything else with our list management, and then look at Garlett right at the end of the process. If we have room on the list (but do not make room specifically for him) and he costs nothing, maybe give him a spot.

I don't mind plonking Garlett on the list as a backup option if it costs us next to nothing. But I seem to recall it might be hard clearing space on our list, unless we delist a few players that we should maybe give more time to.

I have to say I think Garlett is too small and slow to make it at AFL level. I've read that North fans said his work ethic was questionable and his fitness wasn't up to AFL standard. Also his defensive pressure was not good enough. I think Walters will struggle for similar reasons, although Walters has a much better kick.

To make it at their height, they have to have some exceptional part to their game. Garlett is just a bland player with no standouts.

Realistically, there are only a few short people running around who are any good. Harvey springs to mind, but he has explosive pace and is a freak. Kerr (in his prime) and Rodan also, but they have great pace/evasive skills off the mark. Rioli is quite small, but he has that explosive pace and tackling pressure, and just freakish ability to do the spectacular.

Mitchell is an interesting one in that he is not very quick nor has elite disposal (although it is OK), but he is 179cm ... those extra 5cm are quite a big difference to Garlett.

We need to worry about everything else with our list management, and then look at Garlett right at the end of the process. If we have room on the list (but do not make room specifically for him) and he costs nothing, maybe give him a spot.

yeah this is a good post, as i said previously if he has the work ethic, he would be worth a shot because i dont think walters will ever get that,and i think he has better skills than schammer... but as you say he would have to come cheap via PSD.... having said that, there may be the possibility of getting paul bower via PSD... if thats the case, we should do everything in our power to get him to our club ahead of anyone else

This is a very good post, and who else could be added to the list than our very own Peter Bell who was branded exactly what i've bolded in your post. The main point I wanted to get across was that it's ignorant to paint all the short people with the same brush. Throwing the same blanket over the likes of Schammer & Kerr/Rodan/Harvey/Belly is a gross misconception.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very good post, and who else could be added to the list than our very own Peter Bell who was branded exactly what i've bolded in your post. The main point I wanted to get across was that it's ignorant to paint all the short people with the same brush. Throwing the same blanket over the likes of Schammer & Kerr/Rodan/Harvey/Belly is a gross misconception.

true, but those players (other than rodan and if he was at any other club other than us or richmond he would have) have all made it at their club from the start because they have had that much desire and drive to make it, does cruize have this? i dont know

i'd take him for a 3rd rounder. could do worse, especially in a compromised draft like this one where the quality isnt apparent in the later rounds.

on the other hand we could wait and see if he gets delisted and then rookie him for extra depth. fwiw i think he would be a good fit for the club and help us win the in and under ball

He, has nearly single handedly led Nth Ballarat's resurgence in the VFL after everyone wrote them off due to the mass exodus of players. He was sent back to the VFL to work on his outside game and 'spread' away from the stoppages. Since then he hasn't looked back and he has been amassing high numbers on the possession tally whilst also having an impact on the scoreboard (about a goal per game). Since he was rookie listed by use his skills, fitness base and defensive side of his game have improved out of sight.

I have no doubt in my mind, that if he was given an extended period of time in the seniors that he would flourish. But as you guys have mentioned, due to our excess of inside mids he hasn't been able to get the oppurtunity for an extended run, even though he is very well deserving of it. Also, I might add that Cruize has a relatively quick burst away from the pack. I definately wouldn't classify him as slow. Anyway, I would totally be up for trading him, because the bloke is definately AFL quality. I think a 3-4th rounder would definately get it done as he probably doesnt have much value playing in the reserves. Definately a good top up player if you guys are lacking inside mids.

Tragic spelling?

It is spelt, despite.

Who's throwing a blanket over Kerr and Schammer?

I think it's pretty clear that all those you have mentioned bar Schammer have a weapon or are dynamic players.

Kerr is manic at the ball and until his recent hamstring troubles had great burst away speed from congestion.

Rodan's burst was just as fierce, he's also one of the best candy sellers you'll ever see.

Harvey is a pocket rocket, a selfish soft pocket rocket but he had and still has the speed to cause issues running forward of the play.

Belly as good as he was, didnt really give us first use from the clearance or stoppages, he did alot of his best work around the ground in space on the back of a ridiculous engine, plus he could crumb forward.

I'm happy to back the likes of Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe, Lower, Deboer, Broughton and Morabito in the middle.

Im also excited to see the likes of Viv Michie, when he gets over his injuries, get an extended run, Critchon will be a player when he finds some bulk and works on his engine.

I believe we are a far better team for having made the conscious decison to recruit taller through the centre, our improvement in this area of the ground is testament to this.

Carn GG. You said Mzungu would make a Barlow like impact. Mzungu isn't even a pinch on Roger Hayden.

True, he's been fairly solid though despite suffering an 8 week injury and being rushed into the side despite soreness.

Has also been played out of his natural position, do you rate him now?

It is spelt, despite.

I couldn't ignore this any longer... Really? Despite your less than sparkling reputation on BF I always give the benefit of the doubt and read your posts with a level of interest that most others won't afford because they're often well thought out and not too judgmental. However, your decision to drive a stake into a 1 letter typo and brand as tragic in a vague attempt to be perceived as something of an all-seeing, all-conquering eye is pretty pathetic. We're not talking iphone typo's or text-typing.

You're simply not capable of holding a healthy discussion without resorting to attempting to ridicule the poster you're having a conversation with, whether it be assassination of opinion or 1 letter typo. Who's tragic now.

I'm more than capable of holding a reasonable debate.

The i and the e are too far apart for that to have been a typo, you're not fooling anyone.

As always, I'll call it how I see it, tragic spelling on your behalf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cruize Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back