Team Mgmt. Current Contract Status (AFL & AFLW) - Updated in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Half that list is still in the red, although, with the exception of Stanton (and this will cause some divisions) none of those players are really screaming out to be re-signed. That's not to say they are dead wood but there's no Hurley, Zaka, Watto or Heppell there that is an absolute must to re-sign.

Perhaps Ryder but I'm hoping for an improved year from him.

Guys, this is an excellent thread. Kudos to you all.

:thumbsu:

IIRC, somebody suggested they do the same thing on the North board but one of the moderators knocked it on the head because he thought it might be beneficial to other clubs. Yes, that is what he said. That other clubs would use the info on the North board to help with their recruiting.

:rolleyes:

Guys, this is an excellent thread. Kudos to you all.

:thumbsu:

IIRC, somebody suggested they do the same thing on the North board but one of the moderators knocked it on the head because he thought it might be beneficial to other clubs. Yes, that is what he said. That other clubs would use the info on the North board to help with their recruiting.

:rolleyes:

I don't see that as such an outrageous possibility. The thought has crossed my mind.

You would assume that all clubs would have someone whose job it is to maintain a database of reported signings, but at the same time I wouldn't fall off my chair in shock if some were not doing that diligently.

I would imagine the player's managers would let any interested parties know that info on demand - that increases thier clients' market value and would be sensible practice.

You would assume that all clubs would have[strike] someone whose job it is to maintain a database of reported signings, but at the same time I wouldn't fall off my chair in shock if some were not doing that diligently.[/strike]
a phone and the phone numbers of all the player managers.
Seriously, that is a ludicrous degree of paranoia if true.

The AFL would have records of contract lengths. Clubs have to lodge lists/payments etc. Contract lengths would be accessible by other clubs. Failing that as Slattery said, there is always ye good ol telephone.

Else if it makes everyone feel better, we can just update the first post to read that some players come out of contract next year instead. Do a few dodgy press releases... Announce that a players has signed for 5 years...

I think the club is managing contracts much better now than early 2000's. I think we learnt our lesson and it appears one area we have got a grip on. Of our 'out of contract' I see them grouped as follows:

Either will or won't and i don't care either way:
Browne, Davey, Davis, Dyson, Slattery,

Don't need to worry (either will sign or retire):
Fletcher, McVeigh

Would prefer to sign but if not trade/delist without major drama:
Gumbleton, NLM, Prismall, Reimers, Ross, Hille (prefer trade)

Very Keen to get signature but solid trade would be acceptable B plan:
Steinberg, Myers, Monfries, Hibberd, Lonergan, Howlett (almost 'must get')

Must get signatures:
Dempsey, Jetta, Ryder, Stanton

Now obviously we won't lose all from the very keen group or the prefer to sign group but I guess I really only see four KEY targets and the rest will come. Anyone disagree?

I think the club is managing contracts much better now than early 2000's. I think we learnt our lesson and it appears one area we have got a grip on. Of our 'out of contract' I see them grouped as follows:

Either will or won't and i don't care either way:
Davey, Davis, Dyson, Slattery,

Don't need to worry (either will sign or retire):
Fletcher, McVeigh

Would prefer to sign but if not trade/delist without major drama:
Gumbleton, NLM, Prismall, Steinberg, Lonergan, Hille (prefer trade)

Very Keen to get signature but solid trade would be acceptable B plan:
Reimers, Myers, Monfries, Hibberd, Ross, Howlett, Browne (almost 'must get')

Must get signatures:
Dempsey, Jetta, Ryder, Stanton

Now obviously we won't lose all from the very keen group or the prefer to sign group but I guess I really only see four KEY targets and the rest will come. Anyone disagree?
They're the only changes I'd make

If we don't re-sign or get bloody good deals for any of these;

Dempsey,
Hibberd,
Howlett,
Jetta,
Monfries,
Myers,
Ryder,
Stanton,

....then it's a fail.

They're all the players still 'in the red', and who are also in the best 22, simple as that.

heard a rumour that Dempsey and Jetta want to head west next year, not sure if there is any truth to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of those out of contract at the end of the year i think;-

McVeigh will likely retire

Fletcher could (and should) play on

Id like to trade if we could;-

Browne, Slattery, Gumbleton, NLM, Prismall, Reimers, Ross, Hille, or Steinberg

Think we should (and will) keep:-

Ryder, Stanton, Davey, Davis, Dyson, Myers, Monfries, Hibberd, Lonergan, Howlett, Dempsey, & Jetta.

Idiotic to suggest we trade players with great potential but little trade value. In fact all the players you have suggest will be of little value to other clubs. Hille and Lovett Murray have been great servants and deserve more respect also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. Current Contract Status (AFL & AFLW) - Updated in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back