ODI CWC 2023 Qualification Tournament

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a damn good effort by the Netherlands given how many of their first choice players are stuck in county cricket during these qualifiers.

Huge stakes for the two associates on Thursday night.
Scotland don't have as many out as the Netherlands but they also have 4 first choice players unavailable for county cricket.

Still some matches to play but this would be my team of the tournament so far:

1. P. Nissanka (SL) - 290 runs @ 73 sr 88
2. D. Karunaratne (SL) - 286 runs @ 57 sr 88
3. B. McMullen (Sco) - 258 runs @ 43 sr 86, 12 wkts @ 13 er 4.23
4. S. Williams (Zim) - 600 runs @ 100 sr 139, 3 wkts @ 42 er 5.00
5. S. Raza (Zim) - 325 runs @ 65 sr 116, 9 wkts @ 30 er 4.78
6. N. Pooran (WI) - 317 runs @ 79 sr 119
7. S. Edwards (+) (Ned) - 288 runs @ 96 sr 113, 9 dismissals
8. C. Greaves (Sco) - 13 wkts @ 16 er 5.26, 99 runs @ 25 sr 101
9. W. Hasaranga (SL) - 20 wkts @ 12 er 5.15
10. M. Theekshana (SL) - 13 wkts @ 15 er 4.05
11. R. Ngarava (Zim) - 14 wkts @ 19 er 4.73

It's too many spinners but they've been the best bowlers so had to get them in there. If I had to pick another pace bowler it would probably be either Karan KC (Nep) or Chris Sole (Sco) in for Greaves. Or I'd try to squeeze in Logan van Beek (Ned) for his super over performance alone.

At the very least all of Zimbabwe, Scotland,Netherlands and the Windies should be going.

Instead we're just getting 1 of them and it's not the 1 the ICC were hoping for.
12 teams would have been a reasonable number for this edition.

The problem has always been the competition structure.

Have 2 groups of 6 teams , with top 2 in each pool to semi finals. ICC has been concerned in the past whether the associates would be competitive enough.

A 14 team World Cup is justified for the next version.

I’m looking forward to the 20 team World Cup for the T20 next year. I reckon there will be plenty of upsets .

Would love to see Scotland v England in the ODI World Cup this year.

One thing for sure, European cricket is probably is at strongest point its ever been with: England, Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland in the white ball formats of the game.

My question is who would be the 5th strongest Euro nation in cricket?

OK answering my own question

Spain are the 5th best European nation in T20 Cricket according to ICC Rankings, and ranked 33rd in the World. There are 3 Euro teams ranked directly below them in : Italy 34, Germany 35 and Belgium 37. Watch this space because I reckon those teams if given opportunity might be 'hidden' gems. From memory I did watch some cricket from these nations in the past on Kayo.

One thing for sure, European cricket is probably is at strongest point its ever been with: England, Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland in the white ball formats of the game.

I think this is where the query about having a yearly or every two year tournament between these nations came about, akin to the Asia Cup.
The more these teams play against each other the better. The closest we have come to something was the European Cricket Championship or the Euro T20 Slam (perpetually postponed).

Have a six team tournament with Eng Lions, Ireland, Netherlands, and Scotland, two teams from the qualifier.

I think this is where the query about having a yearly or every two year tournament between these nations came about, akin to the Asia Cup.
The more these teams play against each other the better. The closest we have come to something was the European Cricket Championship or the Euro T20 Slam (perpetually postponed).

Have a six team tournament with Eng Lions, Ireland, Netherlands, and Scotland, two teams from the qualifier.
Thing is also, the ICC usually has a limited number of spots for Euro teams in World Cups.

On 20 July this year, Austria, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Italy , Jersey, Scotland will battle for 2 spots to make the T20 World Cup in 2024. Most people on the outside world dont really know who the 3rd best team of these nations is..........I was assuming Spain was based on rankings. So next best there based on rankings alone would be Italy.

Would it be too crude to give Europe 5 spots in a T20 World Cup involving 20 teams? or even 4.5 spots via say a playoff . The next World Cup in 2026 is 20 teams.

Jersey are ranked 23rd. I've actually had this discussion with you before haha:

Jersey are probably currently Europes 5th best side. They could maybe compete with Namibia or Afghanistan but in the same way Ireland could compete with New Zealand or South Africa. There's still a reasonably large gap in quality between those sides.

Edit: what TubbsFarquhar said.

Thing is also, the ICC usually has a limited number of spots for Euro teams in World Cups.

On 20 July this year, Austria, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Italy , Jersey, Scotland will battle for 2 spots to make the T20 World Cup in 2024. Most people on the outside world dont really know who the 3rd best team of these nations is..........I was assuming Spain was based on rankings. So next best there based on rankings alone would be Italy.

Would it be too crude to give Europe 5 spots in a T20 World Cup involving 20 teams? or even 4.5 spots via say a playoff . The next World Cup in 2026 is 20 teams.
Italy are an interesting one because their captain-coach (former county veteran Gareth Berg) has said Ben Manenti and his brother Harry as well as Spencer Johnson have agreed to play at the qualifiers for Italy. Plus a couple of county players. He's even said Joe Burns (eligible from the end of 2023) might play for them if they were to pull off a miracle and qualify for the T20 World Cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Italy are an interesting one because their captain-coach (former county veteran Gareth Berg) has said Ben Manenti and his brother Harry as well as Spencer Johnson have agreed to play at the qualifiers for Italy. Plus a couple of county players. He's even said Joe Burns (eligible from the end of 2023) might play for them if they were to pull off a miracle and qualify for the T20 World Cup.
That would be a pretty decent team , especially bowling-wise anyway.

I havent seen much of Gareth Berg before.

I remember the news coming out of Jersey playing their first ODI earlier this year. They were pretty excited.

That list you have given me makes it look like Scotland and Ireland are pretty certainties. If it's a T20 WC, I would like to see more of the smaller nations play because T20 is the premier form of cricket. 3.5 teams fine, but there also needs to be a change for them to qualify for the second round, which means groups of 4 or 5.

That's what is unfavorable of the 14 teams in the ODI WC, having two groups of 7 means it's going to be very hard to see an upset make a big difference in the standing.

How come the Netherlands haven't been elevated to test status yet? Seems they've been around for ages. Well.. as long as I've been following Cricket anyway which is over 30 years, they've been in a number of World Cups and have been pretty competitive lately even beating South Africa in last years T20 World Cup. Maybe its about time they are elevated.

Last edited:
On squad news, Jason Holder and Alzarri Joseph are flying back to the Caribbean early to prep for the series v India
The first Test is on the 12th, and still no squads have been named for that series
The care factor is probably even loss so now for their remaining 2 games in these qualifiers.

It also improves Oman chances today.

Jersey are ranked 23rd. I've actually had this discussion with you before haha:
ICC rankings are always an interesting beast, but I think if you take the 8 that are already in the CWC this year, the 10 in this tournament, and then those that were in the CWC Qualifier Play-off, it goes Namibia, Canada, Jersey and PNG as ranked 19 to 22 in ODI cricket.

As you said, though, there's a big gap between Jersey and the next rung up.

But kudos to Jersey: massive over-achievers, with a population the size of Bendigo, to be ranked that high is quite something.

Ive enjoyed this tournament but what is the actual point in the playoff matches for the teams who finished outside the super 6. Seems 0 point to me, unless it decides which teams they might face in the next 4 year period

West Indies (Playing XI): Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Keacy Carty, Shai Hope(w/c), Kyle Mayers, Nicholas Pooran, Roston Chase, Keemo Paul, Kevin Sinclair, Romario Shepherd, Akeal Hosein

Oman (Playing XI): Kashyap Prajapati, Jatinder Singh, Aqib Ilyas(c), Ayaan Khan, Mohammad Nadeem, Shoaib Khan, Sandeep Goud, Suraj Kumar(w), Jay Odedra, Kaleemullah, Bilal Kha

West Indies won toss and bowl first.

Remove this Banner Ad

ODI CWC 2023 Qualification Tournament

Remove this Banner Ad

Back