Cyril Rioli: His team position this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Coast

Senior List
Aug 20, 2008
Der Schweiz
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sunderland
What Will Cyril Do?

Love watching this kid play and was just curious for thoughts on what everyone thinks his role will be this year? Small fwd again? Push into the midfield? Perhaps a combination of the two?

His 10 to 15 touches & his forward pressure is more valuable to the team than 20 odd playing in the middle his one on one contests in our forward line are amazing Junior will be used in short bursts imo throughout the year in the middle & spend 80% game time up forward.

noosa mad hawk is spot on i recon

dont waste just good talent when u already have a quick, tough and skilful midfield. moving davey away from the goals was one of the worst things melbourne did.

He's a burst player for mine, rather than an endurance player. I therefore think he will move between the forward pocket and flank, depending on how we set-up and the opposition defence and get small periods on the ball, to rest our on ballers and given him soem exposure to this area. I also think his strength and lack of endurance suggest he is more likely to start in the square than on a wing.

He's fitness will improve but I dont think it'll ever be in the elite. So I wouldnt expect to see him on the wing, maybe in the midfield where his instincts would be really good at stoppages but forward crumbing cameos will be part of his game for the rest of his career.

He's too good a stoppage player to be on the wing, for mine. I think he'll play mainly half-forward again this year, hopefully with a bit more midfield time and some improved staying power from last season. He's an absolute gem.

Cyril can play wherever he likes. He is the second best footballer at the club behind Luke "Mr Football" Hodge and is the most naturally gifted player in the entire competition.

Will go down as an all time great of the AFL and i dont need to sit through 10 years of watching his brilliance to form that opinion.

He has ZERO weaknesses and more tricks then a Circus.

Sensational footballer.

Cyril can play wherever he likes. He is the second best footballer at the club behind Luke "Mr Football" Hodge and is the most naturally gifted player in the entire competition.

Will go down as an all time great of the AFL and i dont need to sit through 10 years of watching his brilliance to form that opinion.

He has ZERO weaknesses and more tricks then a Circus.

Sensational footballer.

maybe not quite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see Cyril continue on with the same role this year.

With the rushed behind rule almost certain to be brought into the H&A season, his forward pressure is going to be priceless.

After he gets another pre-season under his belt, then give him stints in the midfield in bursts.

As much as I'd like to see him in the play more often, which we'd get with more midfield time, I think his incredible 1 on 1 (or 2 or 3) ability is better used with a bit more space. Leave the bigger bodies to do the battering ram work in the middle, leave him as a half forward with permission to run up the field if needed.

Cyril is awesome, he can play small crumbing forward or the deliverer to the forwards. I think he has great skill at the clearences, I rememeber seeing him a few times last year get the ball and just zoom thru the pack to burst out and then kick it into the forward line. His endurance will definately increase, now having a pre season. He should be used in both positions. The great thing about the hawks list is all the other players that are so versatile. Willo can have stints in the mid field, Ozzie can go mid or back. Roughy can go back, browny can go back, and I think could probably have stints in the mid. Croady can go forward, Hodgey can play where the F%@k he wants. Dew can pretty much play where he wants for small periods, lewis can go forward, so can Changa. The guy I would like to see have more stints in the guts/wing is Buddy! How awesome is the sight of him streaming down the wing handballing, recieving handball, unloading from 60, WOW!

we will surely see cyril in a similar role as we saw him in the grandfinal.... a forward pocket, crumber with a licence to get up the field when he wants or there is space. We often leave buddy and roughie as the only two in the forward fifty, or even just one of them, so cyril often plays as a "half forward centre" or "half forward wing". This makes use of all his skills without requiring the tank of the warhorses like sewell etc. He has enough run in him to get into the 50 quickly when needed or out to space on the wing as the link when we are on one of those fast breaks that leave us with only a few players in the forward half. another year under his belt will do him a world of good. I prefer that he continues to play his free flowing "i'm having fun" style of football, and with less responsibility in his current position, it will ensure we don't stifle his progress and impact.

Cyril is awesome, he can play small crumbing forward or the deliverer to the forwards. I think he has great skill at the clearences, I rememeber seeing him a few times last year get the ball and just zoom thru the pack to burst out and then kick it into the forward line. His endurance will definately increase, now having a pre season. He should be used in both positions. The great thing about the hawks list is all the other players that are so versatile.![/quote]

Spot on analysis of Cyril. He has the X factor to change games with moments of brilliance that only a few have.. For those who havent seen it check out the below video of him playing at underage level.. From a Throw in on the hff he breaks the pack at full throttle and slots a goal all at the blink of an eyelid.. amazing stuff.
For mine his clearance work up the ground will be one of his best assets in the coming years.. But right now his best work is done up forward around the feet of Buddy and Rough and applying pessure on the oppositon rebound.. 75% forward, 25%midfield

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hUeBcab_9eE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hUeBcab_9eE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli: His team position this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back