D1 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me the injection of Old Mentonian in-jokes has seen this thread grind to a halt.

Have to agree there Grum, not much going on here at all. Any arrivals or departures to speak of ?

• Have Fitzroy seen any players come forward because of the name change ? Any extra interest ?
  • What's the news out of NOBs ? They should really be in C-Grade. Any backlash due to that ?
  • How are Werribee and St Leos shaping up for the step up into D Grade ?
  • How are South looking under the new regime ?

There's gotta be some news about people. It's nearly February !

Rupo had 30+ at training, mostly seniors who are showing they might be keen to give 2009 a serious crack. In 40+ heat it was a light session full of promise. I can just about gaurantee (how do you spell that Jack?) we will go alright in 2009, many players back as well as players fit who missed most of last year. My tip is we will have alot of firepower around the midfield, and be alot quicker.

Rupo had 30+ at training, mostly seniors who are showing they might be keen to give 2009 a serious crack. In 40+ heat it was a light session full of promise. I can just about gaurantee (how do you spell that Jack?) we will go alright in 2009, many players back as well as players fit who missed most of last year. My tip is we will have alot of firepower around the midfield, and be alot quicker.

so my mail was somewhat near the mark KB ?, terrific for the rupo lads, i do also hear that there may be 1 major departure following his mate down the princess freeway ?

My early top four and the rest of my ladder below

Whitefriars
Rupertswood
Nobs
South Melbourne

Werribee
Fitzroy
Old Ms
Aquinius
Twoblues
Stleos

KB u's & a's and i's and e's always get mixed up especially after a few frothies!

Anyway I am looking forward to the season and think that Rupo v Friars Rd 1 clash will be a beauty. Rupo are sure to be good they are a fast running and well organised team.

Friars kicked off on Tuesday and I am lead to believe had solid numbers with some new recruits and a couple U/19's coming through. Bar opens next Thursday so I will mosy on down and have a first hand look!

KB, Rupo certainly struggled in the big man department last year. What have they conjured up for 2009. ?? any good kids coming through that can fill that role ?

KB, Rupo certainly struggled in the big man department last year. What have they conjured up for 2009. ?? any good kids coming through that can fill that role ?

What amazes me is the ability of clubs to pick up or acquire that 6ft 5" forward we all crave for, sometimes mid season. Unfortunately we don't seem to breed them big in Sunbury. We definitely are short in this area, a few of the boys are around the 23-25 mark and should strip alot stronger physically than in past years. We have never been big, so we have to adjust to this as we have done in the past.

What amazes me is the ability of clubs to pick up or acquire that 6ft 5" forward we all crave for, sometimes mid season. Unfortunately we don't seem to breed them big in Sunbury. We definitely are short in this area, a few of the boys are around the 23-25 mark and should strip alot stronger physically than in past years. We have never been big, so we have to adjust to this as we have done in the past.

I think for Rupo being so close to some bi gpaying clubs the talls get snapped up by them. I think Andrew Hannan is just about the only 6ft 6" forward who has played reguarly in these divisions.
SMD are quietly confident of a better yr than last year. Alot of new faces which is good and some faces returning. But really all sides are flying this time of the year. No sore and aching bodies. After about round 9 or 10 then we can make a better judgement.

Have to agree there Grum, not much going on here at all. Any arrivals or departures to speak of ?

• Have Fitzroy seen any players come forward because of the name change ? Any extra interest ?
  • What's the news out of NOBs ? They should really be in C-Grade. Any backlash due to that ?
  • How are Werribee and St Leos shaping up for the step up into D Grade ?
  • How are South looking under the new regime ?
There's gotta be some news about people. It's nearly February !

Well Leos were back at training this Wednesday

Bl**dy hot to state the obvious!!

We are just hoping to be competitive - as is the norm at this time the runner up coming up a grade is most posters tip for the spoon so just being competitive will be our aim first up.

No other news - when weather cools down we'll have a better ideas about any new faces

• Not a great deal of additional interest as yet for the new Fitzroy entity. Only had 5 sessions and the annual arm-wrestle with the local council for ground access will make it difficult to assess the quality of the new blokes, of which there are about 10-12 thus far.

More promisingly is that only 4 or 5 of last years' best 30 are not suiting up again, and a couple of handy returns/inclusions will probably cover for those plus more. With the natural development of the U19 guys who finished up making the North (1) prelim. mainly as bottom-age players, things are looking OK at this stage.

So does this mean that there aren't many new players or there aren't many new players with ability.

We get lots of new faces down every year, mainly guys who move into the area and start hunting around for a club. Some stick around for the long haul, quite a few have a couple of runs and then think otherwise - choosing to play elsewhere or not at all.

The problem with our council denying us ground access is we don't have a dedicate location for each training session, which makes it harder for potential recruits (for whom we don't yet have email addresses) to be kept up to date as to the movements for training.

In answer to your question, it's about the same number of new players thus far, but not more than usual - hence the answer of no additional interest. Even then we can't really guage whether they're sen/res/club XVIII standard as yet.

Having said that, we had another 6 new faces last night, and a couple I know will be up to scratch (presuming they stick around) given their playing pedigree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is everyone playing in their practice matches.Aquinas plays Parkdale Vultures and Mitcham(EFL Div 3) with one more being organised.

Good news down at SMD last night with Matty Bellingham signing on. Has played at Port Colts for a number of years. I played with him in the 2 flags they last one 3 years ago and is a quality player.

Hurstbridge Football Club (Northern Football League Div 2) is looking for a practice match Seniors, Reserves & u/19's on March 28th or 29th @ an away venue.

Please contact our Senior coach Chris on 0430 583 245.

Who is everyone playing in their practice matches.Aquinas plays Parkdale Vultures and Mitcham(EFL Div 3) with one more being organised.

Caught up on Friar news they have the following practice matches

Blackfriars in Adelaide
hawthorn Ammos
Mazenod
Old geelong

Apparently numbers have been strong at training.

Oval is in excellent condition!

The rupo game rd 1 is looking like a beauty.

How has this not been getting more attention on here?? This would be a massive get for NOBS? How did they get him? Has he signed, and will he play?

Pretty sure Clement is moving back to WA and will play with South Fremantle (if at all) in 2009. That's what I read in Sunday's Age. That may explain things better. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back