D2 D2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, as far as I'm aware, the service of alcohol is primarily required to get the dollars into the club to pay the players. If the players aren't getting paid, then alcohol receipts become largely irrelevant.

With as much respect as I can muster, I think you are a little out of touch with the realities faced by suburban clubs in the VAFA. They may not have to pay players, but they do have to pay for everything else - ground hire, affiliation fees, trainers, facilities maintenance, etc. Many have small memberships and limited numbers of volunteers to help out, forcing them to use commercial services. They face stiff competition from other clubs (in the VAFA and the other leagues) for sponsorship dollars. Many clubs desperately need every dollar they can get. If service of alcohol during games helps out and it does not have any ill effects, I think they should be allowed to serve alcohol.

I have no problem with people playing or clubs competing in competitions where they serve alcohol. Just accept the fact it doesn't happen in the VAFA. If that doesn't suit you, or your club, there's plenty of suburban leagues

For many suburban clubs, this is simply not an option. They cannot afford to pay players. If they do, they will send themselves broke. If they don't, they will be uncompetitive against sides that do. If they were to go to a suburban league, they would sink to the bottom and stick there. Their players would eventually drift away, and the club would collapse.

As for the bit about "it doesn't happen in the VAFA", not drinking during games is not somehow part of the definition of amateurism - it is an incidental feature of the VAFA. Nor has it always been part of the VAFA: it was a policy imposed in the 1980s, in response to a problem that existed at the time. It is now 30 years later, and the troublemakers have probably long gone, or mellowed with age.

Like all policies, the non-drinking policy should be reviewed - and it has been discussed at various times. However, these discussions are somewhat futile - people have their own fixed ideas (and I am as guilty of this as any) and are immovable. The only way we will get any meaningful confirmation of either is to conduct some kind of trial. My own suggestion is that the VAFA bring back drinking during games on a one year trial basis, subject to very strict conditions. These would include:
- participation in the trial be voluntary. If a club thinks that not drinking during games is central to its culture / ethos, it should be able to run its home games on that basis, and visitors should respect that.
- no sale of alcohol before noon (I think this is a condition of most liquor licences anyway).
- no sale of alcohol during U19 games, no matter what the time.
- absolutely no tolerance of BYO alcohol [this is the edit I made - forgot this one].
- dry areas to be set aside - including half the sheltered outdoor areas, behind the goals and around the access points where umpires exit the field (to prevent people who have been drinking interacting with umpires).
- perhaps even limit drinking to indoors (inside the club rooms).
- tough penalties for misbehaviour, including suspension of the privilege of selling alcohol during games, and fines. First offence - $100 fine and one match suspension. Second - $300, and three match suspension. Third - $500, and permanent cancellation of right to sell alcohol at the ground during games.
- immediate cancellation of the whole thing (for all clubs) if any major incident (ground invasion, major brawl, assault of umpires) occurs.

Without doubt, poorly managed sale of alcohol can cause problems. But with appropriate safeguards, such incidents are extremely rare. I think it is time this was given a go.

I have been to a few suburban games, many where alcohol is served.

You completely missed my point - the OP was about Old schoolboy sides having an advantage over suburban VAFA teams such that few are in Premier C or above.

I have no problem with people playing or clubs competing in competitions where they serve alcohol. Just accept the fact it doesn't happen in the VAFA. If that doesn't suit you, or your club, there's plenty of suburban leagues (perhaps except for the EFL) desperate to fill their competitions with new clubs as far too many are folding or collapsing due to the salary/points issue.

Frankly, as far as I'm aware, the service of alcohol is primarily required to get the dollars into the club to pay the players. If the players aren't getting paid, then alcohol receipts become largely irrelevant.
Fair post hedgie but just fyi - EFL looking to restructure to premier plus divs 1-4 in 2019 so will definitely be on the hunt for new clubs. I believe they would want 5 or 6.

On GT-I9505 using BigFooty.com mobile app

With as much respect as I can muster, I think you are a little out of touch with the realities faced by suburban clubs in the VAFA. They may not have to pay players, but they do have to pay for everything else - ground hire, affiliation fees, trainers, facilities maintenance, etc. Many have small memberships and limited numbers of volunteers to help out, forcing them to use commercial services. They face stiff competition from other clubs (in the VAFA and the other leagues) for sponsorship dollars. Many clubs desperately need every dollar they can get. If service of alcohol during games helps out and it does not have any ill effects, I think they should be allowed to serve alcohol.

For many suburban clubs, this is simply not an option. They cannot afford to pay players. If they do, they will send themselves broke. If they don't, they will be uncompetitive against sides that do. If they were to go to a suburban league, they would sink to the bottom and stick there. Their players would eventually drift away, and the club would collapse.

As for the bit about "it doesn't happen in the VAFA", not drinking during games is not somehow part of the definition of amateurism - it is an incidental feature of the VAFA. Nor has it always been part of the VAFA: it was a policy imposed in the 1980s, in response to a problem that existed at the time. It is now 30 years later, and the troublemakers have probably long gone, or mellowed with age.

Like all policies, the non-drinking policy should be reviewed - and it has been discussed at various times. However, these discussions are somewhat futile - people have their own fixed ideas (and I am as guilty of this as any) and are immovable. The only way we will get any meaningful confirmation of either is to conduct some kind of trial. My own suggestion is that the VAFA bring back drinking during games on a one year trial basis, subject to very strict conditions. These would include:
- participation in the trial be voluntary. If a club thinks that not drinking during games is central to its culture / ethos, it should be able to run its home games on that basis, and visitors should respect that.
- no sale of alcohol before noon (I think this is a condition of most liquor licences anyway).
- dry areas to be set aside - including half the sheltered outdoor areas, behind the goals and around the access points where umpires exit the field (to prevent people who have been drinking interacting with umpires).
- tough penalties for misbehaviour, including suspension of the privilege of selling alcohol during games, and fines. First offence - $100 fine and one match suspension. Second - $300, and three match suspension. Third - $500, and permanent cancellation of right to sell alcohol at the ground during games.
- immediate cancellation of the whole thing (for all clubs) if any major incident (ground invasion, major brawl, assault of umpires) occurs.

Without doubt, poorly managed sale of alcohol can cause problems. But with appropriate safeguards, such incidents are extremely rare. I think it is time this was given a go.
I have no problems with grog being served , as long as it's indoors and you would have to have had a sit down meal.

- absolutely no tolerance of BYO alcohol [this is the edit I made - forgot this one].

Think this sounds pretty reasonable.

On GT-I9505 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on. You don't have to serve beer. If your club doesn't want beer sales then no one forces you to sell. Other clubs who want an extra couple of thousand revenue a week can.

Like you said complaints and slip ups can be reviewed and punished. simple. It's not that hard.

Did prahran swear he was playing twos did they?

He wouldn't be playing at prahran because he is a Mildura boy and there are 6 guys from Mildura at the club that have been there for years and all live in the area and he wants a kick with his mates would it be?
Still not sure if some Pahran people actually don't know of the payments or just playing dumb and defending it knowing they do.

REALLY SENSIBLE POST

THE EYE

:):thumbsu:

Still not sure if some Pahran people actually don't know of the payments or just playing dumb and defending it knowing they do.

Not that the people at Prahran would actually care - much bigger fish to fry, but I'm not sure of
The following:
1) If you actually believe they are paying?
2) If you think you know they are?
3) If so and you are so dead against it, why wouldn't you do something about it? (You have been too reluctant all along to say which club you are from)...

However,
My opinion is though that you are just stirring the pot on here, the comp has probably had the top two in place for a while now and you are bored.
Also, to you, Bedford, Phantom stirring the pot, you are very niave and what you think you know, you don't. Simple as that...!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noted Ormond under 17's have been disqualified from playing in their Grand final. Very sorry for the lads due to a error by the club. The junior club also voted to prevent Glen Eira from having junior teams in the southern league. Karma bus
Who cares. Nothing to do with Div 2 finals. Take your grudge match to the D1 forum and tell Bedford all about it

How good is that you beat me to it. Their head of recruiting was there today , looking for players to pay. they are a disgrace

Head of recruiting? Was unaware we had one of them... I should know.

The transition of u19s to seniors should be enough for us. Thanks.

Agree Phantom shouldn't have said anything but can understand why given you've spent plenty of time in this forum obsessed with our club.

Head of recruiting? Was unaware we had one of them... I should know.

The transition of u19s to seniors should be enough for us. Thanks.

Agree Phantom shouldn't have said anything but can understand why given you've spent plenty of time in this forum obsessed with our club.
IT wasn't about your club !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back