D2 for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have very recently started following D2 footy and have been impressed with the standard.

Glen Eira are obviously the stand out...

However, in talking to a mate at work he reckons Glen Eira club is about 4 clubs rolled into one? He said they have changed their name and merged more times than most people have had hot breakfasts?

If this is the case you expect they would be playing a lot higher than D2 wouldn't you?

Apologies if I am not absolutely correct with all this. To give a complete account of their coming together would take forever but for the purposes of your inquiry they are an amalgam of various middle & lower grade clubs but have existed in this format for approx 15 years. All these mergers and takeovers took place some time ago. For quite a few years after they came into being they played consistently in C grade. Like others a lack of a junior feeder and competition from nearby A & B grade old boys clubs has impacted so current grading not that surprising.

Nearly at the half-way mark and I'm sure that next week's break will be a blessing for some clubs. But for this round:

Emmaus St Leos vs Therry Penola
St Marys Salesian vs Aquinas
La Trobe University vs South Melbourne
Glen Eira vs Eltham
Old Westbourne vs St Johns

Good luck to all and enjoy next week's break.

I have very recently started following D2 footy and have been impressed with the standard.

However, in talking to a mate at work he reckons Glen Eira club is about 4 clubs rolled into one? He said they have changed their name and merged more times than most people have had hot breakfasts?

If this is the case you expect they would be playing a lot higher than D2 wouldn't you?

Using that logic St.Marys/Salesian are twice a better side than they were 3 years ago? Unfortunately this is not the case.

Roster got it just about right, the mergers happened along time ago.

We did come within a few kicks from B Grade not 8 or so years ago!

My rd 8 tips
Emmaus St Leos vs Therry Penola if its a wet day then loes at home for me
St Marys Salesian vs Aquinas toss of the coin here but home team will win
La Trobe University vs South Melbourne South here the uni boys to get piped in a tight one
Glen Eira vs Eltham GE just too good
Old Westbourne vs St Johns will win buy 80 /90 points

My rd 8 tips;

Emmaus St Leos by 26pts vs Therry Penola
St Marys Salesian by 9pts vs Aquinas
La Trobe University by 45pt at home vsSMD
Glen Eira by 17pts vs Eltham
Old Westbourne vs St Johns

Balaclava became Glenhuntly which merged with St Kilda South Caulfield & St Kilda CBC to become Glen Eira, hope this helps

Great day for GE Saints Saturday. A special thanks must go out to the Turtle brigade who had about 30 plus staying back for a drink. Especially good as they had a fair hike to get back home. As usual GE will recipricate.

Well -if a week is a long time in footy…this fortnight should be worth the wait- because there areat least a couple of must see games after the break.

JOCs vs. LU
The JOCs and the Students revisit their 2010 rivalry. They were close every time last year with the students holding the upper hand. But as ‘majicman’ boldly predicted a few weeks back-The JOCs are coming.
They are a well balanced outfit –Cacchia, O Connor, Nicholson, Scott –are all good -and consistently so- and they have a genuine superstar in Costas.
The Students have only been stopped so far by Therry and GE so they have not done much wrong either. They are a fairly even bunch out at Bundoora way and their spread of goal kickers and best players is vast . Patten ,Momeel Sheldrick and Dornauf are the standouts for me but they are even
.If I had one query-they are a few talls short and their talls aren’t big boys. They lack a few crash and bash types to really challenge the best teams. But what would I know –they are 6/2.
Even though it’s at Bundoora -I’m backing the majicman -the JOCs to even up for last year.

Therry vs. GE
The one we’ve all been waiting for - The ‘unstoppable force meets the immovable object’ at Oak Park in the proverbial clash of the titans.
Interesting to see Matt McWhinney slotted a lazy 9 for Therry’s Magoos in a warm up for the upcoming big clash.
The GE boys are carrying a few injuries, so the week off will give them a chance to regroup. It’s amazing that they had at least 8 walk ups out of last week’s thrashing of Eltham (incl probably the best ruckman in the comp-Spink, Hooter, Rice, Alex T & Steffy Krull –who booted 6 the week before) but still won by 100 points. 10 snags in the first and 9 in the last gives an idea of how dominant they were on the day. Bangers Dimashki went to the ¼ time break with 5 big ones to his name.…
The firepower of Boyd, Paterson & now Dimashki up front –all genuine targets for GE versus the Therry targets-Boy George,Big Mac and will ‘o ‘the wisp-Costello will be interesting. Given that GE also have Clark coming back, with maybe Spink as well l-they might want to make sure they keep an eye on the weather as too many talls on a windswept & rainy Oak Park day may not go too well together
Similarly the on ball tussles will be well worth a trip -the Jacuzzi Bros- Paz and Dom, Harris, Scooter Diamond , Alex T and the trifecta of Justin’s-King, Mills and Eke -won’t have it all their own way if Crotty, Harding and Co get their hands on the footy early.
The big question on everyone’s lips however is -will big Corey be out there this week?? A nervous fortnight for the GE key backs awaits.
Should be close right up to the final bell…but GE by a whisker
In the other games-

Eltham vs. OW
Eltham have to regroup in order to win and thereby get some space on the Westy’s .They can be 4 games claer of relegation with 9 to dgo. Good odds to stay up I'd reckon.
If the Westy’s win this week- the relegation race is ‘game on'…
BUT if they lose …it’s nearly all over in 2011 for them.

Aquinas vs. SLE
The battle of the Catholic Colleges at Ringwood should see SLE come away with the lollies, but if it’s a wet deck- it might get interesting…because Aquinas endeavour is as good as any team in D2.
For such a young side-they have a real ‘crack’...it’s the lack of genuine talent and strong bodies that keeps them from putting a few wins on the board.
BTW - Any news from the farm as to why that young superstar-Beluszar was missing from the team sheet at SLE last week? I know it’s a big call, but if he’s not wortha mere 8 points to the better for the Animals… I’ll go he.
And that’s all the difference was against Therry. If he plays then the Animals might have been 5/3 going to face Aquinas this week with half an eye on the double chance.
Instead they find themselves at 4/4 and 2 games out of the 4 already.They need to win this one and win it well.

SMD vs SMS
SMD really should get the lollies against SMS –although the Saints kicked plenty against Aquinas this week. SMD on their day are simply a better unit.

After all the posturing on the D2 Board in the last few weeks about the shape of things to come in 2011 …it seems pretty clear to me that the top 5 are real shows and will all be in the running right up to the end.
The bottom 4 are a fair way off it- I don't think they can beat the top temas at all and ...
SMD is well SMD…they could pose a threat or fall away but to be 3/5 with a % of 110, and still to yet play one of the bottom 3 this week says a bit about their talent pool.
Enjoy the break ...

Dr Truth - you'll regret this post come Rd 18

The top 4 will change - just make sure your boys dont miss out, then the rest of your posting may be relevant
Only 1 adjustment, the wooden spooner is set. Another 8 point game at the Aquina Aquatic Centre in coming months.

Latrobe V St Johns after the break will be the match of the round
the jocs will be after revenge on the uni boys as the uni boys were 3 to 1 in their encounters last year with the boiggest winning margin 14 points and the lowest 1 point and this was in the grand final Ouch this hurt the jocs espesilly as they were 30 points up at the 3 quater time break The uni boys form has been a bit scratchy of late they just got over Sth Melb and lost the week before to ST leos so i think the jocs will win this one even if it is at the uni home ground

As an outsider looking in on the D2 competition....is it clear cut that Glen Eira are a certainty like most people on this thread make out? Are they beatable?

Is Tom Peterson the best in the comp?

What about the other contenders:

Therry - How are they progressing? Who are their key players?

St Johns - Haven't lost a game since losing to Therry in Round 2.

Latrobe Uni - Touched up Therry at Therry, no mean feat.

St Leo's - Appear to be there abouts, Beat Latrobe quite easy at Deakin Uni, just got beat on the week-end just gone.

South Melb - Appear to be getting better

Cheers Boys...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Belated guest not its not bias its just my opion as these two team played off in the grand final and had very close matches all year as i said in the 4 meetings last year the biggest winning margin was 14 points and i think GE are a cut above the rest of us this year

As an outsider looking in on the D2 competition....is it clear cut that Glen Eira are a certainty like most people on this thread make out? Are they beatable?

Is Tom Peterson the best in the comp?

What about the other contenders:

Therry - How are they progressing? Who are their key players?

St Johns - Haven't lost a game since losing to Therry in Round 2.

Latrobe Uni - Touched up Therry at Therry, no mean feat.

St Leo's - Appear to be there abouts, Beat Latrobe quite easy at Deakin Uni, just got beat on the week-end just gone.

South Melb - Appear to be getting better

Cheers Boys...

Do you meam Tom Paterson?

No worries...Majicjman....Just having a lend.

I live in Essendon so I'm gonna go watch the Glen Eira vs Therry game next week, looking forward to it.

I will give you all a run down.

The animals have a history of getting better as the season goes on so beware. GE are looking like the stand out as you mention however injuries to key players etc may just change things as there is still a long way to go! Good to see Sth Melb on the improve as I for one didn't really know what to expect after a couple of really lean years. I know it is only 3 wins however that is more than they have had in a season the last 2 I think.

thats cool belated i will be wathing the jocs and the uni boys i will give you a run down as well cheers

Ok lads Rd 9 tips;

Aquinas v St Leos by 45pts
Eltham by 39pts
v Old Westbourne
Therry Penola by 11pts as whisper McKernan to pull boots on v Glen Eira
La Trobe University v St Johns by 29pts
South Melbourne Districts by 75pts
v St Marys Salesian

Ressies:

St Leos
Eltham
Therry
St Johns
St Marys Salesian

Ok lads Rd 9 tips;

Aquinas v St Leos by 45pts
Eltham by 39pts v Old Westbourne
Therry Penola by 11pts as whisper McKernan to pull boots on v Glen Eira
La Trobe University v St Johns by 29pts
South Melbourne Districts by 75pts v St Marys Salesian

Ressies:

St Leos
Eltham
Therry
St Johns
St Marys Salesian

Noticed a clearance on the web for Glen Boyd that was denied to play in the Central Murray.

Was that just for the weekend or for the season.

Phantom (AKA DR TRUTH) care to enlighten us.

Noticed a clearance on the web for Glen Boyd that was denied to play in the Central Murray.

And i thought that me and Dr Truth were one and the same.....hmm very interesting/confusing

To the tips (you know you want it):
Aqu v St L - St Leo in a canter
Elt v OW - Turtles by 35
TP v GE - Match of the round but GE have taken all before them this year and will take this one too. GE 6 points
LaT v St J - Should be a craker but the students at home by 15points
SMD v SMS - Sth have been getting better and better as the year rolls on but this will be a lot closer than people think, in fact i'm tipping an upset. SMS by 4 points.

You heard it here first

Guru Out!

He wanted to play a game over the break with mates in the bush. By the way don't insult me by likening me to Dr Truth from SLS. Hopefully he will buy me a drink this time when we go to their palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back