Damien Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

eddiesmith said:
I want to know if that first post contained any truth at all?

Dealt Harmison a massive psychological blow? You cannot be serious? :eek: He showed Harmison that just like last years Ashes he still has a massive weakness to the short ball outside off stump, Harmison would have loved it

You're absolutely deluded. Not once did Harmison beat Marto outside off stump. He got out softly when he glided a pretty straight bouncer into the keepers gloves trying to play his uppercut, and Aus were home and hosed at that point.

Was funny, at the start of every one of Harmless's spells he got hit for 4, 3 in a row in his first spell :D

Ted Ed Fred said:
You're absolutely deluded. Not once did Harmison beat Marto outside off stump. He got out softly when he glided a pretty straight bouncer into the keepers gloves trying to play his uppercut, and Aus were home and hosed at that point.

Was funny, at the start of every one of Harmless's spells he got hit for 4, 3 in a row in his first spell :D
He got out the same way he got out most times last year in the Ashes, he has the biggest weakness to a weak shot out of any cricketer in world cricket

eddiesmith said:
He got out the same way he got out most times last year in the Ashes, he has the biggest weakness to a weak shot out of any cricketer in world cricket

martyn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hodge

eddiesmith said:

So, what does that say about England's current bowlers then? :D The West Indies have a better attack

Hahaha, yes, pick that **** ginger in your avatar for the Ashes, Warne, Lee etc will be licking their lips :)

The Pies, England AND Victoria. You must really love pain ;)

Cooldude said:
A few years ago there was a long long period where he couldn't cold a ****in' cold if he stood nude right in the middle of Antarctica

Do you have a point? I said that he had a bad series and hasn't recovered since... but BEFORE that he was a bloody good fieldsman. Very safe hands.

Or are you agreeing with me for a change? :)

eddiesmith said:

Dealt Harmison a massive psychological blow? You cannot be serious? :eek: He showed Harmison that just like last years Ashes he still has a massive weakness to the short ball outside off stump, Harmison would have loved it
Did he love it just as much as being dragged after his first two overs?

Kenny_01 said:
Do you have a point? I said that he had a bad series and hasn't recovered since... but BEFORE that he was a bloody good fieldsman. Very safe hands.

Or are you agreeing with me for a change? :)

I said long long period, which goes a hell lot longer than a series

And the safe hands rubbish is just that, a lot of ****. He has always been prone to dropping sitters as I've already said.

eddiesmith said:

So on one hand you say that McGrath getting a belting is a sign that he's done, but when Harmison gets a bigger belting, it means nothing.

Right....

statsman74 said:
So on one hand you say that McGrath getting a belting is a sign that he's done, but when Harmison gets a bigger belting, it means nothing.

Right....
Why would it? McGrath is a fantastic ODI bowler but has been bowling pretty **** ever since coming back, Harmi has never done well in ODI cricket so is no sign that he is done just from these performances.

Browney2006 said:
Why would it? McGrath is a fantastic ODI bowler but has been bowling pretty **** ever since coming back, Harmi has never done well in ODI cricket so is no sign that he is done just from these performances.

I was just pointing out the hypocracy of the points made, thats all.

Backed Marto and Watson to score the most runs against England at 7.50 each. Marto played superbly, if he wasn't there we could have been 4/40 or 4/50 chasing 170, as it turned out he took control and basically won the game. Hussey was good in support too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 or 3 decent games in the past 2 years.

why is this guy so special? He is a weak link in the batting line up. He does the job that a half a dozen other batsmen could do if given the chance.

On top of that he is old. I heard recently that we could potentially be playing our second oldest test team in history. We need to blood some new young players or in two years time we will have 5-6 inexperienced players all coming into the side at once.

We made the tough call with the Waugh brothers in the ODI's, why can't we do the same with marto?

fridige's failures said:
besides last years ashes (when the majority of batsmen struggled) marto has performed brilliantly since he was reinstated into the team after his long exile.

the thing i like about him is that he performs when it counts.

won man of the series IN india, performed unbelievably well against murali IN sri lanka and made a solid 80 odd in the world cup final. lets not forget that

A few of his dismissal in the Ashes (I think 3) weren't actually out either, just poor umpiring decisions.

Marto, on his day, is one of the best batsman going. The Mark Waugh comparison is a very valid one.

Unfortunately, it seems at though he's past his best, and I don't know if he should be holding people like Jacques out of the side.

Hopefully he proves me wrong this Summer though, I really like the guy and want him to perform.

Still a bit of a worry playing square of the wicket onside though.

likka said:
Oh let me see... Boof, Hodge, Hussey, Siddons, Katich... soon to be Jacques.

Jacques will be in there soon enough. Within a year Langer, even if he's still making a mountain of runs, will be pushed aside for no other reason than to give Jacques the chance to stuff up.

As for Hodge - I was a fan of his until he got selected for the test team last year and then he carried on like a rancid pork chop. He did interviews with tv stations saying that he was glad he was picked for the test team because no one deserved it more than he did.

Hey Hodge! Playing test cricket isn't a right you idiot, it's a privilege, and if you hadn't carried on the way you did maybe the selectors wouldn't have had a hard time replacing you with Martyn.

This thread is worthy of a bump I think!!!!!

The last 2 matches have been must win, and Martyn has produced man of the match perofrmances in both of them. Briliant work Marto!

Scores of 17, 78 and 73no so far in the tournament, as well as a 100 in his last test match, he is proving that he definitely should still be an automatic selecion in both the test and ODI teams.

While Martyn is making runs he will retain his place but as others have mentioned there are possibly younger guys around the states who might be able to do the job. You would suspect though that with the World Cup getting closer the selectors will be loath to change the line-up too much. Maybe ditching Katich is enough. He will find it hard to break back into the squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Damien Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back